Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 09:55

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default how low-carb do you go?

hi everyone, i have been reading your postings for a few months and decided i wanted to jump in. i have been doing low carb for about 2 months and neanderthin for 1 month. i am feeling really good but i cant seem to get my weight or bfp to budge. i am maybe not eating enough meat or too much fruit and i just cant give up heavy cream in my tea but i noticed that a lot of you were eating non-neanderthin things and still losing. have any of you experienced a stall at the very beginning and could you give me some ideas about how to get the scale moving. oh i tried all meat for 1 week and lost 1 lb but i was really craving fruit and veggies by the end of that week. Since they are neanderthin i added some but stopped losing immediately. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/129/114 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

I know a couple of people on another message board that have been really successful with 80% fat, and 20% protein. The fat comes from mostly butter. I would like to try it to lose about 10 pounds. They refer to it as the "all meat" plan. No fruits, nuts or cheese. Mostly red meat, eggs. They are down to a size 4-6.

I find that fruit stimulates cravings for sugar and sets me up for binges. I think cream is ok (derived from animals). I do my own version of Neanderthin, as do some of us here. I'm not sure who does 100% Neanderthin (avoids dairy).

Also, when I first started out on low carb, I lost 5 pounds very quickly, then stalled. I was eating lots of bars, shakes, fake foods, making desserts with splenda. It was when I monitored my calorie intake on fitday.com and went with natural foods like meats, oils, veggies, I started to drop a few more pounds. Switching from olive oil to butter seemed to help me lose also.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 124/126.5/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: -18%

Some days I may eat mostly meat with no veggies/fruit. Other days, I'll eat salads + another veggie at every meal. It doesn't seem to make a difference in my weight, however fruit is a major problem for me and makes me gain and get cravings. I'd advise you to stay away from the fruit for a while, and stick with low carb veggies btw, I eat butter/cheese nearly every day without problems
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 16:27

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've been doing low carb for more than a year, and Neanderthing for the last 9 months. I have never lost a single pound on either plan eating unlimited quantities of food. The only time I lose any weight is when I do a fat fast with calorie reduction. I eat 1200-1500 cals a day, with 80% of my calories coming from fat. I don't get hungry, and I lose weight. I usually feel better when I eat this way, too. I usually eat more on the weekend, but keep it Paleo.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 16:51

Thanks everyone for replying. I think that i am definetly not eating enough fat. It seems really hard to do. How many of you eat mayo to add fat. i have been thinking of doing this but most mayo has sugar and vinegar which i believe you are supposed to not eat. i wonder if because it is such a small amount of these ingredients it may not make much difference. I wish i could eat more fat from animals but you only get so much from cooking meat in butter, as most of it stays in the pan, and eating big pieces of fat right off a piece of meat doesnt really appeal to me very much. What are some other ways to add fat without adding too much dairy(like cheese)
Thanks again
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 18:56
Registered Member

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 199/???/149 Female 5'6"
BF:37/??/24
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique723
I'm not sure who does 100% Neanderthin (avoids dairy).

I do. Dairy just doesn't seem to agree with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
How many of you eat mayo to add fat. i have been thinking of doing this but most mayo has sugar and vinegar which i believe you are supposed to not eat

I don't eat any mayo, but there are Neanderthin friendly recipes to make your own. I've never tried any of them so I can't say if they are any good or not.

Quote:
What are some other ways to add fat without adding too much dairy(like cheese)

Have you tried coconut oil? Great for cooking with. Or nuts? I know a lot of people are against nuts if you're trying to lose weight, but a handful of walnuts once or twice a day doesn't usually cause too many problems (for me, at least).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 22:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

AimeeJoi,

I just checked out your profile, and are you really a pastry chef? If so, how do you make it through the day without pigging out?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 06:02

hi dodger, yes i am really a pastry chef and honestly it doesn't bother me much. i am to the point where i think that sugar is poison so i dont want it. I dont even taste anything that i make but i have plenty of people working there who dont mind taking over that responsibility.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/129/114 Female 60 inches
BF:

Quote:
I wish i could eat more fat from animals but you only get so much from cooking meat in butter, as most of it stays in the pan, and eating big pieces of fat right off a piece of meat doesnt really appeal to me very much. What are some other ways to add fat without adding too much dairy(like cheese)
Thanks again

I add a pat or butter or two on top of the meat. Then it melts and adds fat to the meat.

I avoid mayonnaise because all commercial mayo has soybean oil and I consider it to be unhealthy. It would also be high in omega 6 which is I believe highly inflammatory.

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 13:27

Plan: 999
Stats: 999/999/999 Female 999
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
What are some other ways to add fat without adding too much dairy(like cheese)

I keep my fat intake pretty high, at about 70-80% , I don't get fat from diary at all but get most of my fat from flaxseed oil and fish oil.

Kristina
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 14:22

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Have you considered pemmican as a fat source? Many people seem to really like it (including me). We discussed it fairly thoroughly a few months ago. Check the back threads. Marty
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 17:02

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:

Aimeejoi,

We put pats of butter on lots of things--fish, meat, all veggies.

I have to ask you how you're doing eating this way and working as a pastry chef? That can't be easy. Also a funny coincidence, I think, is that there used to be a donut place around here called Amy Joy Donuts. Have you heard of them?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 20:21

"I avoid mayonnaise because all commercial mayo has soybean oil and I consider it to be unhealthy. It would also be high in omega 6 which is I believe highly inflammatory."

i actually found some mayo at whole foods that is made with canola oil. it has a really astringent taste to it and is not as creamy as hellman's but it is okay. do you have any info on canola oil.

"I have to ask you how you're doing eating this way and working as a pastry chef? That can't be easy. Also a funny coincidence, I think, is that there used to be a donut place around here called Amy Joy Donuts. Have you heard of them?"

that is a wierd coincidence, especially because we are in the same state but nope i never heard of it. I honestly am not tempted to eat all the stuff i make. The hardest part is that i feel kinda guilty making food that i know ruins other peoples health. I really love the freedom and creativity of my job though so i dont want to switch careers. I am trying to get into charcuterie and have started experimenting with pates and terrines( i made a wonderful chicken liver pate with walnuts, thyme and apple cider yesterday.) It retains most of the creativity but is a lot healthier.
Let me be completely honest though, i am having quite a hard time giving up chocolate, but luckily i like the really really dark kind so it is really low in sugar, like 4g per oz

hmm, it seems i havent figured out how to make the quotes be in grey yet.

thanks again for all of your responses
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 21:26

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:

Quote:
hmm, it seems i havent figured out how to make the quotes be in grey yet.

Here's how to do it: Use the word "quote" surrounded by brackets [] before the quote and "/quote" surrounded by brackets after the quote.

And regarding Amy Joy Donuts, I did a search and found that they're in Cleveland. I went to school there and that's where I probably remembered them from.

Last edited by TwilightZ : Tue, Nov-16-04 at 21:31. Reason: Addition
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 14:14

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I really love the freedom and creativity of my job though so i dont want to switch careers. I am trying to get into charcuterie and have started experimenting with pates and terrines( i made a wonderful chicken liver pate with walnuts, thyme and apple cider yesterday.) It retains most of the creativity but is a lot healthier.

Mmmmmm!! We went to a local French restaurant (Vin Rouge, in Durham) the night before Thanksgiving. They make their own pate and it was amazing. The question I have is, how do you eat it without the bread (toast) pate-delivery-mechanism? What are some other ideas for enjoying pate without using crackers or carby things to serve it on?

I also love to cook, but I think that for right now, pate is one of those things I would rather eat and not know how it is made. I'm not much of an offal kind of guy. But I love to eat it, especially French "country" pate.

Plane Crazy