Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 10:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

The stats about the success rates of WLS are not going to be very helpful anyway, because they only cover the first year after WLS, which is basically a honeymoon period - they lose weight rapidly, they feel great (both the thrill of losing weight so rapidly provides a natural high, and the physical ability to do more because of the weight loss improves mood), and mortality rates are very low during that first year.

But that first year is also when they're most likely to stick closely to the very restrictive diet, which as I understand it is just a very low carb diet (not quite keto, since I don't think they're able to handle nearly that much fat in their diet with their disrupted digestive tract), especially considering the dramatic weight loss results they're seeing that first year.

After the first year though, weight loss results slow, stop completely, or they even start to regain, even on their restricted diet. If they have not stabilized at their weight loss goal by the end of the first year (unlikely, since most WLS patients have well over 100 lbs to lose), complacency or downright discouragement can set in, so they start to drift back to SAD type foods. Worse than that, after the first year, nutrient deficiencies start to show up (disrupting the digestive tract reduces the ability to absorb nutrients efficiently, hence there's an increased need for dietary supplements), and mortality rates related to the ongoing after-effects of WLS start to increase. No wonder they only follow up the first year - if they increased the followup period to 5 or 10 years, the statistics would tell a completely different story about the success (and dangers) of WLS.

Benay - I'm not at all surprised that your WLS co-worker believed that popcorn was ok, because nutritionists and dieticians are all about low fat and whole grains for everyone, no matter what their situation might be. Granted, a box of popcorn is mostly air (which means it's not going to really be filling, but that's immaterial - it's Ok to eat a WHOLE BOX of it!!!), but it's very low in nutrients, and mostly carbs, and as you're aware, not good at all for someone who has had WLS.

Someone on another LC forum who had WLS insisted that the post surgery diet doesn't need to be LC... with the resulting increased physical problems. Only instead of regaining weight, her problems resulted in some kind of condition that led to rapid, extreme weight loss - prior to WLS, she was somewhere well over 300 lbs, and the last I read anything about her (about 3 years ago) she was under 120 (way too low for her height), and still losing, with no end in sight. I hope she was able to recover, but I have my doubts - you know how it is when an online acquaintance who is ill suddenly disappears, and you have no private contact information about them, not even a real name to google.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 11:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
After the first year though, weight loss results slow, stop completely, or they even start to regain, even on their restricted diet. If they have not stabilized at their weight loss goal by the end of the first year (unlikely, since most WLS patients have well over 100 lbs to lose), complacency or downright discouragement can set in, so they start to drift back to SAD type foods. Worse than that, after the first year, nutrient deficiencies start to show up (disrupting the digestive tract reduces the ability to absorb nutrients efficiently, hence there's an increased need for dietary supplements), and mortality rates related to the ongoing after-effects of WLS start to increase. No wonder they only follow up the first year - if they increased the followup period to 5 or 10 years, the statistics would tell a completely different story about the success (and dangers) of WLS.

From what I've read, managing the supplements and eating only a few bites at a time is a serious job in itself. The side effects can be quite serious, from bowel incontinence and Dumping Syndrome to seizures and nervous system disorders from a lack of B vitamins.

It puts the "dangerous! difficult!" low carb eating plan into a whole new perspective
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 13:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
STOPPING LOW CARB: Laziness, succumb to temptation in the form of cookies brought to me by a friend, not liking to cook and finding too many high carb options and too few low carb options, taste and smell

RE-STARTING LOW CARB: facing another knee or hip surgery, hitting my self-prescribed weight ceiling (200 lbs)

Certainly surgery is a good reason to change your relationship with food. We kniw changing old habits for new can have moments of hiccups. But this firum is packed with supporters who have been there.

As for cooking, it can be really simple. Fry a steak and fill a bowl with greens and add dressing. Add mayo to a big can of tuna and eat with celery sticks.

Layer a 9 x 13 pan with bacon and cook in oven.

( I like cooking, HATE the dishes, )
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 16:11

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I had one work friend who was a tall, kind of large lady. I remember her telling me that she used to be much larger, but had the WLS and lost a great deal of weight. Our office often ate out for lunch, and I remember that she would eat a bit, but almost invariably had to get up from the table and go to the bathroom. I am not sure what the complication was, but her surgery had been years before I met her and she was still having consequences whenever she ate. That kind of stopped me from thinking about the surgery. Today she is still a large woman. Seems like a risky thing to go through, especially since she seems to have been left with a lifetime of digestive problems and is still a large woman. No matter what you do to lose weight, you can't go back to eating the way that made you obese. I watched her weight slowly climb. I would hate to think I went through that and then gained the weight back.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 16:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
From what I've read, managing the supplements and eating only a few bites at a time is a serious job in itself. The side effects can be quite serious, from bowel incontinence and Dumping Syndrome to seizures and nervous system disorders from a lack of B vitamins.

It puts the "dangerous! difficult!" low carb eating plan into a whole new perspective

This was on a different LC forum recently - a poster said that since her WLS a couple of years ago, she can't even take a big drink of water without throwing up. That's in addition to things I've read saying that they can't even drink anything within 30 minutes before or after eating, because it could case them to throw up.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 17:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangle
I had one work friend who was a tall, kind of large lady. I remember her telling me that she used to be much larger, but had the WLS and lost a great deal of weight. Our office often ate out for lunch, and I remember that she would eat a bit, but almost invariably had to get up from the table and go to the bathroom. I am not sure what the complication was, but her surgery had been years before I met her and she was still having consequences whenever she ate. That kind of stopped me from thinking about the surgery. Today she is still a large woman. Seems like a risky thing to go through, especially since she seems to have been left with a lifetime of digestive problems and is still a large woman. No matter what you do to lose weight, you can't go back to eating the way that made you obese. I watched her weight slowly climb. I would hate to think I went through that and then gained the weight back.

And the worst part of it is that she was still dealing with the digestive after effects of having the surgery - and probably will for the rest of her life.

I was told that someone who worked where I did had WLS a few years before I started working there - I have no idea how overweight she was originally, and while she was not terribly overweight when I worked there, she never appeared to be completely down to a normal weight either (nor did she look to me like she was continuing to lose weight), but I was told that she had lost a lot of weight. When I first started working there, she appeared to be eating mostly LC foods, but by the time I left that job a couple years later, she had started eating things like pastas, muffins, and bagels. Not surprisingly, she also looked like she had started to regain some weight.

I've often read that WLS is actually just a tool that helps you stick to your diet and lose weight. Considering some of the gut wrenching side effects that never go away, it sounds like a lifetime sentence to aversion therapy, and that a lot of people just get used to dealing with the digestive problems, as a means of eating whatever they want.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 05:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Considering some of the gut wrenching side effects that never go away, it sounds like a lifetime sentence to aversion therapy, and that a lot of people just get used to dealing with the digestive problems, as a means of eating whatever they want.

I see it as one bad idea -- treating digestive problems by removing the angry organ -- leading to a worse idea -- creating deliberate undernourishment in overweight people.