Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-06, 21:03

Plan: The Virgin Diet
Stats: 124.2/118.6/100 Female 58.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Welcome, Flowersoul!

I'm doing much better taking my CLA this week and am anxious to do measurements this weekend. I also need to go get another bottle as I'm almost out.

I'm trying to remember what GLA is. I should know this!
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 14:53

Plan: Out of LC Maintenance
Stats: 254/128/128 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Mini-me
Progress: 100%
Exclamation

Ah! I finally located this thread thanks to Annabel's signature. I
have subscribed to it so that I won't miss all of this CLA experience. BTW, I
bought the EAS CLA. I plan to do 3 grams per day.
  #273   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 18:33

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 162/135/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Default A lil info on CLA/GLA

Sorry I haven't posted earlier, but, things just got in the way.

Anyway, here is some info on the combo CLA/GLA

Hope this helps a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is CLA/GLA?

Most effective daily dose...
CLA 3400 mg Conjugated Linolenic Acid
GLA 1000 mg (Borage Oil) Gamma Linolenic Acid

Some of us prefer the liquid CLA from Netrition. One bottle which is about $23.00 lasts a full month. You just take 1/2 Tbsp a day to get your full dose. Some of us are also trying the CLA Extreme from Netrition ~ 5 caps a day. We also prefer to get our Borage Oil from Netrition. It has a higher GLA content, so less pills to take, and more pills per bottle than other brands. So by getting your combo from Netrition, its alot cheaper than taking all the caps from other stores.

How does CLA work?
A: CLA prevents fat from being deposited into the cells by speeding up the body's fat metabolism. CLA also helps the body metabolize existing fat deposits. This fat then returns to the blood stream where it is used as energy by muscle cells and the liver. CLA activates genes that trigger fat cell death, shrinks fat cells, speeds up metabolism.

CLA Turns on Fat Breakdown Genes
CLA Boosts Endurance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How does GLA work? (Gamma Linoleic Acid) (NOW brand) Borage Oil
A: Numerous research studies have examined the role of GLA for improving health, specifically in the area of weight loss. GLA from borage oil causes less body fat to accumulate. Borage oil owes its healing power to the presence of essential fatty acids, the most important of which is GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid. (While borage oil is often used interchangeably with evening primrose oil, ounce for ounce, borage oil boasts more than twice as much GLA.)

Guidelines for Use
Taking borage oil with food may boost GLA absorption and minimize unpleasant side effects.
If you take an anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medication, check with your doctor before trying borage oil. The are no other known drug or nutrient interactions associated with borage oil.
  #274   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-06, 07:51
Life is good!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/167.5/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Nov 4:
Weight: 149.5 lbs.
Bust: 40" (-0.5")
High Waist: 33" (-2")
JellyBelly bulge: 39" (-1.5")

Sept 29:
Weight: 154 lbs.
Bust: 40.5" (no change)
High Waist: 34" (-1")
JellyBelly bulge: 40" (-0.5")

Sept 19:
Weight: 155 lbs.
Bust: 40.5"
High waist: 35"
JellyBelly bulge: 40.5"

As skeptical as I am about there being a "magic pill", I was surprised at my losses so far. I'm sure some of it can be attributed to just normal weight loss, but I will definitely continue to take it. I am curious what a few more months on it will do!

Courtney
  #275   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-06, 13:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/120 Female 63.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi everyone

Hello everyone,

I started taking the Natures way CLA 1000mg on thursday and i hope i also get results as inspiring as some of you already taking it.
I havent bothered measuring myself yet, but i shall keep you all posted on my progress. Good luck to everyone.
  #276   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 08:30

Plan: South Beach 4-14-2009
Stats: 388/388/150 Female 5'5
BF:too much!!

Is it too late to join the experiment?? I just started taking CLA/GLA last night after measuring myself. My measurements are too big to post, but I will post my progress!
  #277   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 11:56

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 162/135/135 Female 5'2"
BF:

Never too late to join.....the more people who input their stats, the more we learn. And, I probably don't have to tell you about support......we all need that!
  #278   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 10:16

BF:

This thread sure got quiet. Where is everyone?

I took my measurements Friday and am down another 1" on my waist, upper navel and lower navel (two weeks).

Hope all is going well with everyone.
  #279   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 22:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi

I'm still here but have been soooo busy. I haven't had any difference on my last measurements, but then I've also been lax on eating regularly and taking the CLA... Gotta take it if I want the results, right?!
Back to it this week.

Good to see your losses Ladibug.
  #280   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 05:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

My measurements were: (these measurements are taken very snug)
9-14-06
weight: 147
waist at curve: 29

at navel: 31.5
below navel: 33
low hips: 38 (wide part of behind)
thighs: 36.5

9-21-06
weight 144
waist: 28.5
navel: 31
below navel: 32
low hips: 37
thighs: 36

11-1-06 (TOM)
weight: 145.5
waist: 28.5
navel: 30
below navel: 31.5
low hips: 36
thighs: 35

I started taking Life Extension Super CLA Blend w/ guarana and sesame lignans 11-9-06. Because I found them at a salvage store, but I'm making a note of it here to see if it makes any more notable difference than the plain CLA.

11-19-06
weight: 145
waist: 28
navel: 29
below navel: 31
low hips: 36
thighs: 35 / L top: 20.5

I wanted to note these measurements before Thanksgiving....just incase bad things happen.

Exercise has really been off this month and most of last month. I hope December gets me back on track. I also hate to admit.....I've had several days this month of binging. That makes these measurements quite surprising for me.
  #281   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 15:29

BF:

As of today, I'm down to 112.8 lbs.(lost 13 lbs) and have lost 2" from bust; 3.5" from waist; 3" from hips; 1.5" from arms; 1" from neck; 1.5" from thighs; 2" from upper navel; 1.5" from lower navel. (Wow--I'd never subtracted my current measurements from my starting ones for a while. I did not realize that I've gone down so much.) I started with a size 14 jean in August and am now wearing a 10 or 8 depending on the brand.

Most likely, it is not all the result of CLA, but I have been taking the CLA since 9-23-06 and it surely has helped. I have been using Tonalin CLA by GNC. I also have started taking Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Calcium and Magnesium after reading the thread on the Vitamin D Experiment.

Note that I get in very little excercise. I do work in retail sales so I get a lot of walking done at work, but very little, if any, otherwise.
  #282   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 22:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Well done everyone... these are really good results.

I am still not moving, but that's typical of me. Initial losses were big though so that's ok.
  #283   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 23:28

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 195/162/155 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 83%

after being on it for 6 weeks (started 2nd week in sept.) it just totally stopped. Its like it did what it could do for me and that was it! But I was happy with the six weeks of results it did give me!
  #284   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 06:57

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Question

Hi,

is there something like a CLA FAQ? Or some kind of information beyond what wikipedia lists?

In a recent entry at Jimmy Moore's blog I read, e.g.

Quote:
Fortunately there is one form of linoleic acid that is beneficial. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) differs from the normal form of linoleic acid only in the position of two of the bonds that join its atoms. But this small difference has been shown to give it powerful anti-cancer properties. Scientists at the Department of Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, New York and the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New Jersey Medical School, showed that even at concentrations of less than one percent, CLA in the diet is protective against several cancers including breast cancer, colorectal cancer and malignant melanoma.

Conjugated linoleic acid has one other difference from the usual form – it is not found in vegetables but in the fat of ruminant animals. The best sources are dairy products and the fat on red meat, principally beef.

It is a very long but very interesting text about why we NEED fat in our diets.

Oh and a dumb question: if I have 1 g capsules, should I take 4 per day? or 3 in the morning, 1 in the evening? Does the timing of the intake make a difference?

dhania
  #285   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 12:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

uick Update:

Previous Measurements:
September 25
Bust-45
Under bust-38 (actually a little less)
Waist-38
Hips-45

October 14
Bust-44
Under bust-37 1/2
Waist-38 (this has been my tough place to lose for some reason)
Hips-43 1/2

November 25, 2006
Bust-42
Under bust-37
Waist-37
Hips-42 1/2

I'm still shrinking and things look smoother. I'm losing weight very differently on CLA than the time before without it. Before I was shrinking but still "bloby". This time things are getting smoother and gaining definition, etc. My muscle tone is also a lot better on CLA despite my terrible exercise regime.

I'm sticking with it and on a new bottle as of today.