Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/205/170 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:32/28.5/24
Progress: 42%
Default OMG - Russell Stover's LC Turtles!

I found these in Walgreen's yesterday and decided to try one. Only $0.99 so what the heck, right. They are so yummy!! They almost taste as good as the real turtles. I think they're called turtles, that what we always called them in Texas anyway. Yummy caramel, pecans and chocolate. And they are only 1.2 carbs a piece - they come two to a package. I'm in Induction and won't eat them again until I'm onto the next phase, but dammit I needed some chocolate badly!

~Shawna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

You might want to be careful with those, they have been known to cause a "laxative" effect for some people.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:37

Stats: 195/183/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Unhappy Laxative effect

Does that effect happen with Carb Solution candybars? I cheated today and ate one. Then I thought perhaps I was not used to all the fat I have consumed.

Sorry, I have to ask?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:53

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

It might. Some people are really affected by sugar alcohols and some aren't.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 09:53

Stats: 257.2/252.8/165 Female 5'9"
BF:less than it was!
Progress: 5%

coho- arent they delicious?? try the peppermint patties yummy also! lol walgreens is the only place i ever see them. i ate the bars my entire time thru a 1 month induction period and ever since. i just made sure to count them as part of my carb intake. i made a trip to walgreens at 12 am one nite because i had to have one lol

as far as the side effects. there is a warning on the back of the labels of ALL of the bars, whether it be russell stover, carbolite, carb solutions, pure delight, etc. stating that excessive consumption may cause laxative effects.

i find that i have those kind of effects like never before the diet. my body rejects food it doesnt like or that im allergic too almost instantly it seems. shrimp being one of them.. its strange but i guess because all that carb stuff isnt in there, it processes the food differently. anybody know what im talking about? lol
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

My brother bought me a pkg of the Russell Stover's "turtles" for my birthday. I think they were called "pecan caremel clusters" or something like that. Yes, they were very tasty .. but I'm one of the unlucky souls who not only experiences a "laxative" effect from maltitol and other sugar alcohols, but it's also accompanied by a lot of gas and cramping.

My suggestion if you've never really had these before, is to proceed with caution ... read the label to see what is considered "one serving" .. and maybe just have half that amount until you're sure you won't have a negative reaction.

And remember that the serving size is intended for adult or child over 12. Be very, very careful giving polyol-sweetened candies to small children.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:58

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

Russell Stover SF mint patties are great!

I'm finding the SF stuff all over, but the best price has been at Walmart - not even on sale, and they were 2 pkgs for $3.00.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 13:09
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Check out this link.

I super love the Ashers SF turtles but get bloated and gassy (sorry) for hours.

It is so sad !!!!

It seems though that sugar alcohols are mean to me but glycerine is ok so occassionally I make Atkins brownie mix which is awesome. Atkins Ice creams are good. Toffuti fudgicals or 1/3 cup of full fat ricotta w/ 1 tsp hersheys cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla ext, 1 TBS heavy cream and 1 tsp splenda.

You can have your chocolate and eat it too!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 13:28
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

They sound lush do you know if you can buy them in the uk maybe under a different name! I need chocolate or something sweet (SOON!!)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Stats: 230/205/170 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:32/28.5/24
Progress: 42%

So far no adverse affects. And I am counting them as carbs. Hmmm, maybe instead of veggies I can just eat meat and LC candy!

~Shawna