Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Just took my first wellbutrin, with my prozac

I am hoping I will feel ok,

How has wellbutrin made everyone else feel ?

please list all symptoms for me, so I am prepared,

I decided to do this first and if it does not help then I will try the efflexor..

anyone else on wellbutrin and prozac, if so, please talk to me....

worried about the combination.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152.8/145.8/130
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Wellbutrin

I started taking Wellbutrin about 2 months ago. It was actually prescribed for me because I was complaining about memory loss due to cancer meds I take.

I have spent my life "fighting" depression and anxiety and have managed to be very successful but it takes a lot of energy. About 5 years ago I started taking St Johns Wort which to me was a wonder drug! I couldn't believe the difference in how I felt--just like "normal" people (I guess). However, it interferes with the Tamoxifen I was taking so had to stop. By the time I was prescribed Wellbutrin, I was beginning to experience a continual "low grade" depression and some anxiety again.

Well, bottomline, the Wellbutrin is quite wonderful. I feel just as I did on St Johns Wort. It has also help my memory loss. Guess I'll be on it for another 3 years until I can quite taking the cancer meds than I'll go back onto St Johns Wort.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 13:03

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%
Default Just curious...

Why someone would have to take 2 different meds? I mean I have heard of it before but am just curious if your Dr. gave an explanation how it works, as I am just taking Wellbutrin...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: ~~~~~
Stats: 215/170/190
BF:14%
Progress: 180%

I just started taking Wellbutrin-SR a week ago today. A good buddy of mine mentioned today to me that I've been a lot more social. I didnt think I was acting any different, but I know that today and yesterday, I've felt great.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:45

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

STALLQUEEN, That is an appropriate combination of medications your MD/ARNP has put you on. I work in the the psychiatric field, and if I have a patient on adequate doses of one antidepressant, but not getting the positive response that I am looking for, it is not uncommon to augment with an additional antidepressant from a different classification of antidepressants. You have been prescribed antidepressants from 2 different classifications. Both of these will affect different receptors in your brain to get the specific results your MD/ARNP is looking for. What I mean is decrease in depression, anxiety, insomnia, with increased concentration, energy, etc. An added often postitive benefit Wellbutrin has is sometimes it helps to enhance one's libido! Can't complain about that! Good luck, and remember to give the combination adequate time to take effect.
Queen Bee
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 16:32

Stats: 255/255/180
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Response

Wellbutrin for me caused wieght lose and more energy and strange dreams - very strange. the strange dreams did pass.

However, after 1.5 years - Wellbutrin alone stopped working and I had to go back to Zoloft.

Zoloft works fine for depression for me however causes big weight gain (50 pounds) and lowered sex drive (not none but lowered).

I think all of these ADs have affects and it varies by individual.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 02:49

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I was taking Wellbutrin (to quit smoking) for about 2 weeks and had a 'delayed' reaction to it. I had the usual vivid dreams, a bit of dizziness and ringing in my ears that went away, lack of appetite, etc, but after about 2 weeks, I had a huge anxiety attack and fell into a depression with frequent anxiety attacks that is finally lifting after over 3 weeks. That was my negative reaction to Wellbutrin. I actually took it one time before (last year) and had anxiety attacks, but didn't realize at the time that it was attributable to the Wellbutrin, not just a coincidence. Wish I'd known that, could have saved me a lot of suffering these past several weeks.

Anyway, that was my experience and I will never, ever touch Wellbutrin again.

Hope it works for you!

Nicole
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:08

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%

I have Anxiety and Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia. I have been on a combination of medications for this condition for about 12 years. I take Prozac (80mg) and Klonopin once a day.

Because Prozac takes away one's libido, my psychopharmacologist suggested I decrease my prozac and add wellbutrin. We did it progressively and I must say, I was the old "Red Hot Mama" I used to be. But I started having more anxiety. I had to weigh the quality of life with panic attacks along with the increase in my libido. I chose to go back on Prozac and leave the wellbutrin alone.

But, now that I'm LCing, I'm getting my libido back. I'm really excited (I didn't mean it like that, but hey). But remember, and this is important, AS YOU LOSE WEIGHT, HAVE YOUR DOCTOR REEVALUATE YOUR DOSAGES. I'm finding that I need less of many of the meds I was taking before this first 40 pound loss. Maybe one day I'll be able to get by on baby doses or none at all.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 07:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

Queenbee

Thanks,

I have been taking only one wellbutin instead of 2, so far, with one prozac, I have noticed a big improvement in my mood,

Im afraid to take the other wellbutin in the afternoon, for fear of insomia, I took this years ago to quit smokong and could not sleep,

What do you think
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 13:09

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Stallqueen. Yes, insomnia can accompany the Wellbutrin. If you have been prescribed 2 Wellbutrin tabs, there are a couple of options for you. Often if you take one in the morning and take the second dose around lunch time that is early enough to prevent the insomnia. Another option is to take both together in the morning. I have worked with a number of patients who tolerated both of these without any problems, plus helps with compliance if meds are only taken 1 time a day instead of 2-3. Again just check with your healthcare provider for further guidance. Hope this helps!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 00:08

Plan: CAD
Stats: 434/397/170 Female 69"
BF:50%
Progress: 14%

my hardest part of taking Welbrution is remembering to take it in the morning and again at night.... I am so depressed that I know it would help, but I really have trouble remembering. I tired all kinds of tricks... my last resort was to put the two pills in a shot glass in the bathroom and if there is any pills in the glass, then I need to take one. Still forget, but not as often. My doctor has had me on lots of anti depresants, but this one was not suppost to gain weight, so we thought we would try it..... Depression is a hard on to get over for me, but I am not as bad as I was last summer and that is a good thing! I have had no side effects that i can think of and no one has mentioned anything... maybe if I was more regular.????

good luck!

-Pam
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 01:03

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I would definitely check with my Dr/pharmacist before taking 2 (150 mg) doses of Wellbutrin at the same time. Any literature that I've read all says to NOT take more than 150 at a time, and to make sure to have 8 hours between doses. If you take the first by 7 am, you can take the second at 3 pm and you should be fine for bed time.

I've been on Paxil before (for post partum depression) and it wasn't difficult to remember--I felt so horrible and knew that my meds were going to save me!! Maybe try setting a timer or alarm? Put post-its around the house?

Best wishes to you all!
Nicole
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac???
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Wellbutrin and etc.

In addition to being an overweight woman with ongoing dysthymia (chronic, low-grade tendency to depression), I am a mental health professional, and from working with clients in addition to my own experience, I can tell you that the combination of Wellbutrin and Prozac is not at all unusual. So many people are using these new antidepressants long-term (a questionable practice, by the way), that it is becoming apparent that after awhile, some of them stop working well. The practice is to either increase the dosage or combine two, and this is what you're doing. I have been on these meds since my hysterectomy some 10 years ago, and I am one of the people who has had to look at the effects of long-term use, although I can say nothing major has happened, except that they haven't proven to be the huge help they were supposed to be. Because my insurance stopped when we relocated recently, I have stopped taking most of my meds, and I can't say it has made a huge difference, which certainly makes me think. I am more and more inclined to feel that long-term change in diet and exercise and thinking seems to be a better solution, because although these newer meds are certainly better and safer, they still don't solve the underlying problem, except in those few individuals who truly have a short-term chemical imbalance that can be corrected easily. For the chronic types, I wonder....... anyway, a doctor I worked with told me recently that the medical establishment really doesn't know exactly how Wellbutrin works--or IF it works, which may interest you. I felt that it helped. Prozac seems to have a proven track record, but a lot of people have sexual problems with it, so it's a trade-off. On the other hand, you may be one of the people for whom the combination is just the right solution, so good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 14:06

Stats: 255/255/180
BF:
Unhappy Be on Guard

Be careful as sometimes in takes quite a while for a depression to recur when one stops the ADs.

Agree with all your said, especially the long-term practice.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 14:15

Stats: 307/264/220 Male 5-10
BF:
Progress: 49%

i'm currently taking 400mg of wellbutrin and 40mg of celexa per day. i was just moved up to the 400mg from 300mg. i tried stopping the celexa on my own and got really dizzy, so i went back on it. apparently, both drugs do different things, or so i was told by my doctor. i used to be on effexor and that didn't do anything. i've also been on xanax and that made me sick.