Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 15:45

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi, just found this place.

Hello everyone.

I've just discovered the Ireland section here. I'm delighted to know there are other low-carbers out there in Ireland. At times it feels like I'm the only one.

Can you believe, I actually got kicked out of Unislim because I don't eat chocolate biscuits?

Anyway, I'm a 45 year old mother of three who lost three stone on an Atkins/CKD diet. I kept it off for three years, but when I stopped breastfeeding last year, over half a stone went back on. Right now, I'm working very hard to get that off again. 4lb to go.

Who else is here?

Eileen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 08:18

Plan: atkins/under 20 gr per da
Stats: 154/133/129 Female 5 8
BF:22
Progress: 84%

Hi there. My name is Aoife and I am a 33 yr young mother of 3 kids. Was on atkins for about 18 months and got really skinny. Came off atkins and weight has gone up and down over the past 5 months. Am trying the low gi now and have lost a couple of pounds. I know it would be quicker on atkins but the idea of eggs for breakfast makes my tummy go quesy. Am 147 lbs and would like to go down to 134 lbs. Anyone else on low gi?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 12:31

BF:
Progress:

You've three kids as well? What age are they?

What do you eat for breakfast now?

I've discovered a great way to eat eggs for breakfast. Well, two. One is a guacomole omlette. The avocado and salsa really cut the eggyness. The other is poached eggs on spinach. Or fish for breakfast is good too.

Do you know any good restaurants in Dublin for eating low carb?

Eileen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-23-06, 10:25

Hi Helen,

Yea 3 kids. Ages 7, 5 and 2. Bit of a handful. I tend to have all bran for breakfast mainly because of the really high fibre content. 12 gr of fibre! Would love to be able to do atkins but after 2 days I am just dying for bread. Cannot believe that I was on it for so long!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-24-06, 08:20

BF:
Progress:

Hi, you've almost the same age difference as me. My girls are 9, 7 and 4. They keep life interesting!

Have you tried out GG Scandanavian Bran crispbread? It has more fibre than carbs, so it works on Atkins. You can get it in Holland and Barret health food shops.

I've also got a recipe for an Atkins friendly bread.
70g flaxmeal (ground up flax seed)
2 large eggs.
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
optional: 2 tsp cocoa, sachet Splenda.
Mix all the ingredients and pour into a greased bread tin or divide between six muffin cups. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. If you do it as a bread, it comes out as a sort of moist flatbread. Or you can add cocoa and sweetener and do it as muffins. I've got children with wheat and dairy allergies, so I make this a lot.

Today I finally got out for a decent cycle, for the first time all week.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 07:15

Have decided to go back onto atkins again. On day 2 and feel like crap. Normally on day 3 I get a huge burst of energy. My husband is on it with me for support! The bread/muffins receipe sounds fab. Just had to boiled eggs for breakfast. Am always in a rush to get kids out to school so morning is not a good time to start cooking.

I do not really know many low carb places to eat in Dublin. My husband is a chef in Dublin and says just to go for salads with chicken and fish. I think the atkins diet has gone out of fashion a bit. Boots in Blanchardstown do not really stock a great deal of low carb products anymore.

If you have anymore hints would love to hear about them.

From a very tired and lethargic mother!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 16:24

Plan: SugerBusters
Stats: 275/205/145 Female 5'4"
BF:http://tickers.Tic
Progress: 54%

I'm not from Ireland but I just wanted to say hi and good luck on your journey!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 12:00

Don't get me started on junk food. My son went off chocolate, sweets and rubbish for lent and his behaviour was fab. Am trying to continue this but all his friends mums give them rubbish all the time. Its so frustrating.

Thought I would have lost more weight. Am walking about 3km a day but have lost 6lbs in two weeks. The ketone stips sometimes go dark purple in colour but sometimes just a light pink. I can get a bit psycho over this so am trying to test urine only once a day! Have a bit of thrush so maybe that is not helping either.

You sound like a very active mum. Prefer walking on my own rather than walking with the kids. They just complain all the time.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 15:33

BF:
Progress:

My un-ending gripe, all the junk that other people feed my kids. At least two of them have allergies that make it possible to say "No, they can't have that".

6lb in two weeks is great going. Don't obsess over the ketostix, any shade of pink is enough, dark purple usually just means you are not drinking enough water. Ketosis is like pregnancy, you either are or you're not.

I like walking on my own, but that doesn't happen often. I'm nearly always pushed for time so end up cycling.

Today I upped my personal best on the leg press. I was lifting the full stack of weights and had to add free weights as well. I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Hi Nike. Do you have an interest in Ireland?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 12:37

BF:
Progress:

Hey, 6lb is great. Don't knock it. Don't sweat the ketostix, any shade of pink is fine, purple just means you need to drink more water.

Just back from a weekend in England with the family. They had a good time, but I really missed my workouts. How was your weekend?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 13:08

Hi all,

Weighed myself this morning and have lost 2lbs since Saturday and 2 per cent of my body fat. Have stepped up my exercise plan by going to the gym and doing high cardio exercises. It is amazing the boost it gives to yourself! Went to the gym again today and took the kids for a swim after school. Oh the joy of having energy again!

Weekend ok. Am going on holidays in 3 weeks time for 6 weeks to france and am so looking forward to it. Hope i can keep up the diet though with those lovely baguettes and patisserie!

Any plans for the summer?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 09:26

BF:
Progress:

That weekend in Blackpool was our summer holidays. There will be the odd week when they have various summer camps and I'll get to the gym, but apart from that, I'll be working out at home.

I discovered something interesting when I was in England. There was no gym, and I had no bike, so though I did a certain amount of walking shopping for real food (meat, eggs and vegetables) in the biggest Tesco I've ever seen, I was mostly relaxing. Eating clean and low-carb, but not dieting. When I got back and stepped on the scales, I found I'd lost 4lb. I suppose this proves that cutting calories too much can be counter-productive.

Have a great time in France. Think of all the wonderful cheese and pates they have there. Bread is boring.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 08:31

Plan: Dr. Stillman
Stats: 147/142/133 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress:

~Hi all!

I just joined this forum today so a little green(!), no pun - being from Ireland!!
Started the Dr. Stillman Quick Weight Loss Diet last Thursday, 4th Dec. and am doing grand so far! Down 5lbs as of this morning ..
Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried this diet? Pretty severe, but definitely gets results ..
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 19:10

Plan: SugerBusters
Stats: 275/205/145 Female 5'4"
BF:http://tickers.Tic
Progress: 54%

I'd love to visit Ireland someday, every thing I have ever seen about it makes it look so beautiful.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 01:52

BF:
Progress:

Yes, it is. I'm just back from a weekend in the country, so I was struck by how amazing the place looks at this time of year. But it's also a modern European country, with all the usual problems: traffic congestion, prices, urban sprawl etc.