Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 10:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Losing fat without losing weight??

These pants I fished out of the closet seem looser since the last time I put them on. My weight hasn't changed an ounce in weeks, but I feel like I'm still losing fat. Is that possible? I've always carried fat in my hips and thighs--the really stubborn, pear-person stuff. Am I actually making a dent in it slowly but surely?

I stay at about 30-40 net carbs, 1500-1800 cals, with exercise every day. The times I've checked for ketones, I see only the slightest change, if any (I sometimes think I'm just imagining a pinkish tint.)

Any of you veteran maintainers have a story to tell me? An information reference on ongoing maintenance?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 11:45

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

My weight shifted around a bit after I hit goal. I was real thin up on top so my collar bones and upper ribs stuck out, and my boobs were in sad shape. Now my upper body is more proportional to my lower. My pants are a little looser than when a first hit goal, and I no longer look like a freak when wearing a tank top.

Also since you are exercising, you could be adding muscle and loosing fat. This is most likley what is happening to you. Good for you that you continue to improve your health in maintenance Sounds like you are doing the right thing.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 11:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 132/124/125 Female 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 114%

I'm noticing the same change.
Getting skinnier, but not loosing even adding some.
The calorie intake is between 1500-2000.
Scared to disappear
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 11:55
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Yes totally possible, I don't know how, or even why it does it, but your body CAN rid you of fat (or maybe it just redistributes about the body) without actually registering it on the scale....this happens to me A LOT! Which is why it's really important to measure as well as weigh because sometimes if you hit a patch where the scale is being unkind then the tape won't be. I just recently had this, my scale has said I put on some, but the tape tells a different story!
It's truly bizzare, and it doesn't matter much how or why it happens but it does.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Yes...same here..its amazing!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 05:04

BF:

Thanks people. This is not the worst weight management situation I've ever encountered.

Now is the time to remember I'm in this WOE for life. If I DO happen to start dropping more weight, I'll be glad to add a few healthy carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 06:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Amen BKL! You are right, what a problem to have!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 07:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Check out this thread on fat redistribution in the "Best Of" forum.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 07:56

BF:
Default And another thing...

This just crossed my mind. Duh.

About two months ago, I stopped drinking wine. I was allowing up to a couple glasses a day--8-12 oz total--well within my carb and calorie allowance. In the past, drinking or not drinking wine never seemed to have much effect on my rate of loss, so I figured it was one of those lifestyle things I could allow.

Now...I think perhaps omitting the alcohol may account for the new wrinkle--in my butt, that is. My body doesn't have anything to burn on a daily basis but its own fat. That doesn't account for the fact that my weight isn't changing. Still, fat loss seems to be occurring, and I'm not unhappy about it.

P. S. I no longer miss the wine. And since it's not "forbidden" (I have a glass or two on special occasions), I'm comfortable with the limitation.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 08:09

BF:
Default P. S. to Kristine

Thanks so much for the link. Very interesting. I wouldn't mind getting a little fat back in my face. Not exactly gaunt, but at age 59, I regret the saggy chin.

Also, reading that thread, I'm encouraged to dig out my skin brush. I did that faithfully for a while awhile back. I liked the silky feeling, and it couldn't hurt.

I once bought a bottle of L'Oreal "Sublime Slim" cellulite reducing stuff--I always called it sublime slime. You're supposed to use a different formula for night and day, but I just used the night-time stuff twice a day. Didn't seem to do much. But then, I didn't actually follow the instructions, did I?! I have some of the stuff left. I'll save it for next summer, when my legs actually show upon occasion.