Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/137/150 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default getting into pre-maintenance

You could say i have a carb fobia, and am afraid of moving into pre-maintenance because i don't want to gain any weight. I was just wondering if you had any suggestions as to what foods i should add in first. Also in the atkins carb counters and stuff it measures fruits ex strawberrys in 1/4 cup serving, how am i suppossed to know how many strawberrys are is a 1/4 cup?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 17:39

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

As far as the strawberries are concerned, I usually go into fitday.com, find out the stats for .25 cup and then play around with single strawberries to find the same stats. 3 medium strawberries have the same stats as .25 cup...11 calories, 3 carbs.

Carb phobia is one of the greatest arguements for getting away from induction level carbs. It's VERY scary to start adding foods in and when you've waited for a long period of time, using the same foods and not going through the different stages, it becomes even more difficult.

What foods outside of the induction foods list do you eat?
What is your average daily carbs?
Have you added any foods off the carb ladder? If so, how far up the ladder have you gone?

My recommended read? Atkins for Life. It's a wonderful book geared towards maintaining. It's easier to read than DANDR, actually is fun to read, and gives you wonderful ideas about what foods to add in.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 19:09

BF:

anyone else have any ideas to help me out? I'm truly frightened of gaining weight, and need some things to add to get out of induction.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 08:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Congratulations on an amazing loss.

Now, it sounds like the one minor mistake you might have made is not moving through OWL. That's why you have carbophobia now.

Here's what helps me. Repeat this mantra: "vegetables never made anybody fat."

At 6 feet tall, you're probably already a tad underweight. So don't panic, there's nothing to fear in maintenance. All you're going to do is simply keep on doing what you were already doing... with some additional foods. Read through the carb ladder and pick the things that scare you the least. If you want to, write them down and put them on the fridge or on your shopping list.

I, as a rule, never measure food unless it's part of a recipe. I have no clue how much a 1/4 cup of strawberries is! I just grab a couple and eat 'em! I suggest using either fitday.com, the PC version of fitday, or our new carb counter, because you have the option of adding not just cups, but... normal measurements of foods, like "3 strawberries, large".

Best of luck, and keep in touch and let us know how it goes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 09:09

BF:

thanks alot, i'll try the carb counter because fit day is a pain in the butt to use IMO.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 21:46

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Dig back a little deeper in this thread and find some great topics about adding in foods.
Take it slow, like Kristine said you should of gone through the phases but you did'nt so, just don't have a fit if you start to gain a bit, slow but sure and you will level out

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 21:32

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You should add the new foods gradually. Just a little bit at a time. Ne need to measure. Once you add them, restrict them, such as pasta once a week.