Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

try crushed bacon rinds (zero carbs) for breading chicken and fish; it's good!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 09:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

you know what else is good, dip in egg and then in grated parmesan/romano cheese. This is really good for veggie "fritters" too. Like with eggplant slices - see Suzanne Somers' most excellent eggplant and mozarella sandwiches ...

http://www.piebirds.org/2011/03/cri...mozzarella.html
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 13:14

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

So glad that I found this thread! I lost 20 pounds about 3 yrs ago doing very low carb. I maintained that for over 2 yrs. Then I missed certain foods so much, and fell head first into potatoes, pancakes, and wheat products. My weight is out of control (need to update stats) and blood sugar is rising. I want to eat heathfully, without feeling guilty when I eat starch!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 13:25

BF:

Welcome chicachyna! I love this way of eating. I feel much better than on very low carb, plus, you can eat just about any whole foods if you keep the amounts small. Still no white-powder, drug-like processed food for me (flours and sweeteners), but definitely roots and fruit.

Also - unlike in the past, it is completely satisfying to have a small potato with a meal. It's because I can also have sufficient fat. In the past I could never be satisfied with small amounts of starch - had to have mass quantities - figured out later it was because I was also eating too much protein and way too little fat, you know, the basic lean meat deal. Insulin was always still darn high.

But, with the Lutz or Groves or Kwazniewski, it feels absolutely fabulous to have just a little starch with meals. That's how I do it anyway.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

I think the best thing about the semi-lowcarb plans is that you dont have to FOCUS so much on your food...no counting, maybe a little weighing on the food scale till you get it down, but you dont have to be obsessive about anything..just eat whole foods, kind of like humanity used to eat. just an extra piece of chicken or fish (protein) instead of bread. and by the way, if you are doing net carbs, you can even have a good high fiber piece of toast with your eggs and bacon. almond milk only has 2 carbs per cup and i have come to like it as much as regular milk.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 10:32

Plan: Barry Groves
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, I am not sure where to post now that I have switched plans. I gave "The Carbohydrates Addict's Diet" a shot and I failed miserably. I didn't want to give up so I just started reading and researching more. I came across Barry Groves' website. I just finished reading his book yesterday. Natural Health and Weight loss. I think I might give it a go. I think I like not having to wait all day to eat a fruit or a starch. He doesn't advocate eating all your carbs at one meal. Today has been good so far. I have not intentions of measuring or weighing my foods. I will look up general information for carb counts and then just use my hunger as a guide. That was one reason why I was drawn to CAD. I just don't have the type of personality that wants to weigh and measure every little thing that I eat. I guess I can't say that I am really following his plan, but I will be following the principles.

So, I will see what happens with this plan. Anyone else following his plan? I was sorry to see that he is dead.

Last edited by Maygirl : Mon, Jun-16-14 at 10:42.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 150/150/110 Female 63.0 inches
BF:

I'm not familiar with Barry Groves. I'll have to look him up. I know that I will never eat any other way. One of the best benefits of following my plan is stabilized blood sugar. Before when I tried to diet, my blood sugar levels would go way up and way down, giving me horrible mood swings. I was beginning to think I was bipolar! I read Suzanne Somers' books, then traced it back to Michal Montignac and I've been happy ever since.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 08:17

Plan: Barry Groves
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 62"
BF:

Thanks for chiming in Mrskeith. There are so many ways that people lose weight and maintain. Trying to find the right amount and types of food for our bodies and lifestyle can be so frustrating. I refuse to give up though. If I find I can't stick to Groves' plan then I will try something else. Day two I am feeling a little slugglish but it is almost lunch time. I am thinking that I didn't eat enough at breakfast. I will have to up my fat content a little bit I think.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-14, 07:51

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Too bad this section is no longer active...this is me to a T. Back in the day when I was thin I stayed that way by eating low carb. I lived alone and didn't have to worry about what someone else wanted to eat. I ate vegetables, and otherwise my only carbs were things like the filler in meatloaf or the breading on fried chicken, and I didn't eat those things often. After marrying a carb lover my diet and also my weight changed. I still try to avoid starchy carbs but it's not as easy as it used to be. I try to stick to protein and veggies and only cook starch for DH, but I find myself eating it sometimes and therfore my weight loss is very slow....almost non-existant. If I make a point to stay on plan is the only time I show a drop.

I am going to read through the posts anyway because it gives me ideas.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-14, 06:58
Registered Member

BF:

I'm still here. Over the summer I gained about 3 pounds trying to eat like a "normal person". I failed to consider that the average normal person is very overweight these days. So it is back to the Montignac Method for me. I found that I missed my wonderful food and how amazing I felt. In fact, I just finished eating a large buckwheat pancake with sugar free syrup for breakfast. This will keep me comfortably full until lunch and it has lots of healthy fiber.

I truly believe that eating low on the glycemic index is what works best for me. Please stick around and share your progess. :-)
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-14, 10:32

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Good to see someone here, MrsKeith. You have already helped me. I never heard of the Montignac Method so I googled and bookmarked and now I have something to read through later on. Like I said, I've done low carb off and on for years, but unfortunately, due to the many "off" years I am now type 2 diabetic so low carb is a necessity. I was running high for a few days and medication brought it down. Now I'd like to stay low carb and keep the blood sugar down because once it goes back up, only meds will bring it back down, and the med's I'm on cause weight gain. I do that well enough on my own, thank you very much! LOL I think low carb makes you more carb sensitive because I am at the point that anything that even smells like bread spikes my blood sugar terribly, and naturally, bread and it's family is one of my favorite foods. So I try to do as well as I can. If my blood sugar is anywhere near good, I know I'm doing a good job.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 06:42
Registered Member

BF:

The Montignac Method is very similar to Somersizing, as Suzanne stole the idea from Michal Montignac. However, his diet is much more balanced and less gimicky. You eat your whole grains for breakfast, even 100% whole wheat bread. Potatoes are replaced with lentils, split peas and other beans. It's all about right combinations of foods and the glycemic index. I recommend his last book "How to Get Spaghetti Thin" as it has the latest information and is the easiest to understand. Honestly, once you get the hang of things, it's the easiest thing in the world. Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: fruit, then a buckwheat pancake with SF syrup, coffee
Lunch: grilled chicken salad with homemade vinaigrette dressing
Dinner: whole wheat spaghetti with marinara sauce, sauted diced tomatoes and zuccini in olive oil, and about a 1/4 of plain yogurt with SF jelly mixed in for desert.

I was down a pound this morning.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 19:43

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

I guess I would be semi-low carb. Since putting my food into mfp, I average 30-75 net carbs daily. I just can't do the 20 or less suggested by Atkins.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 07:27

BF:

Atkins induction is Very Low Carb or VLC. Not to be confused with regular low carb.

The Nutrition and Metabolism Society defines Low Carb Diet this way:

Quote:
We suggest that LCD refers to a carbohydrate intake in the range of 50–150 g/d, which is above the level of generation of urinary ketones for most people.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 16:01

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

I have never heard that Seejay, thanks for the definition.