Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 16:09

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%
Default Funny how maintaining is harder than losing (for me)

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself and humbly ask for some help. I am 5'3", 18 yo, and had been around 100 pounds (I am a very small framed Filipina) throughout my teenage years. Once I went away to school however, late night munchies and party drinking got me up to 130. So in June 2003, I started Atkins... but I got a little caught up in the LC product craze and didn't lose too well. Once school started again, I reread the book and decided to get strict. I also discovered that I had a candida problem, so I had to part with my cheese and nut and mayo habits. However, I became a little too strict, staying under 20 (sometimes between 10 and 15) carbs a day until I reached my goal weight of 100. I began to inch past 20. But after cheating during the holidays, I freaked out and dropped my carbs very low once again, and have basically been afraid to up my carbs since because I fear that out of control feeling I had after cheating. This lead to a big problem though, I lost too much weight! I want to stop losing and maintain, but I think my body has adapted to such a low level of carbs that every time I try to up them (following the OWL ladder), I bloat up like a balloon and get major headaches, and once again I am forced to retreat to my carb safety zone (less than 20). I think I may be taking too many supplements too because I want to make sure I'm getting enough nutrition. I take about 8-10 a day... these have carbs in them, don't they? Should I cut down on them and get all my carbs via food instead? I eat about 1400-1700 calories a day, sometimes higher but never lower, and I suppose I'm pretty active- always rushing around this huge college campus. I used to do cardio 3x a week but I've stopped b/c I"m afraid of losing more. I do weight training to get some muscle tone. I'm afraid that if I up my carbs a lot, I will gain the weight back, or have to drop my calories. I always wonder, am I eating too much? Too little? I know I have to up my carbs, but I am so scared. I don't want to get that out of control feeling I had while eating high carb. I don't want to feel horrible and starving all the time. I guess that's why I got too comfortable eating induction levels. Losing was so easy, this maintenance thing is so hard for me, especially with my food sensitivities (candida). Will I ever be able to consume more "good" carbs or have I permanently messed up my metabolism by adapting to a low carb level?

Please please please, I need the help and advice of you successful maintainers, especially the ones who are very little. I am going to start a journal, because I think that will help me in this scary process. My family is extremely unsupportive, always trying to sabotage me or telling me that I am going to die because Atkins is very unhealthy. (they never say I am too skinny however because they are very petite)

I'm sorry this is SOOOO long but I have been lurking for a very long time, and although reading all of your posts has helped, I feel that I should just come out and ask my plethora of questions up front, because I need to get them off my chest and I need to finally do Atkins the right way and find my CCLM. Thanks for your time, I need all the support I can get.

Last edited by believe27 : Sun, Feb-01-04 at 16:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:24

BF:

Oh, I should add- I am a college student on a budget, so it is extremely hard for me to find appropriate foods. That was part of my problem. It was a lot easier to just eat eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, and hamburger or steak with salad for dinner. But that doesn't add up to many carbs. I don't trust any of their higher carb fare but I know I have to up my carbs. Any suggestions?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:50
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I don't think you have messed up your metabolism. Instead of increasing your crabs by 5 grams per week-why don't you try adding just 2 or 3 grams for a while. Take it slower than the book recommends. I would add a cup of raw spinach, for example, or salad to my meals. Maybe a couple of mushrooms. Do that for a week and see how you feel. Then you can add another 1 or 2 grams in the form of veggies.

My mom also lost more than her goal weight. We are both small women. It does take a little while to figure out what your levels should be. I think a journal is a good idea for you.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 19:57

BF:

Thanks, I will try that. I used cabbage to up my carbs by 3 or 4 today... really wish I could use mushrooms but I have candida/yeast problems. I feel a little bloated, and I know I will retain water tomorrow morning, but I will keep off the scale.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:02
Slothy Superhero

Cabbage often causes gas and bloating. That might be part of the problem. Be sure you get plenty of water-that might help the retention.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 10:56

BF:

Ohh definitely caused gas, but I didn't know the bloating would be this bad! I woke up today all swollen and puffy and heavy feeling. Didn't weigh myself, but I know it was due to upping my carbs. Aside from the gas and bloating I felt very sleepy last night. Will this pass (no pun intended)? Do you think I should I Just keep at this level until I de-bloat or should I up them even more? I think I can do 30, but the way it's going, I'm afraid that my metabolism has been messed up and my body has adapted to induction levels and I will never be able to up my carb intake without ballooning and feeling horrible.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:59

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Oh my gosh, believe27 - I have a surprise for you. You and I have been "Private Messaging" each other on another board. I like this Maintenance forum much better than the other; don't you? Good to see you posting.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 12:08

BF:

Oh my goodness, that's so funny! Hi! Yes, I do agree, the maintenance forum on here seems to have more activity. I also kind of like the way the board operates better. Nice to see you on here and thank you for all your help, I think I now have a good idea of what I need to do, but I still like the extra support of the BB.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 12:09
Slothy Superhero

I think you should be OK-just don't use cabbage.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/110/113 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 125%

When I got to the point where I was adding carbs at about 30 - 35 level I also found it very difficult because I was following the carb ladder and was limited as to what I could add. I found using fitday made all the difference for me. (fitday.com) I could play around with my menu for the whole day and make sure I got enough carbs and vitamins and keep track of calories, fat and protein.

You can really add a lot of vegetables without adding a lot of calories or carbs. Celery is good and I ate a lot of jicama, broccoli, asparagus and spinach. Berries helped me too but you probably can't eat those.

Then you can add vegetables with higher carbs as you need to.

One thing you might try to get over your fear of adding carbs since you are in maintenance is to vary the amount you eat. Some days eat lower carbs or calories and some days eat higher carbs or calories. I think this helps your body adjust and not get "stuck" on too low a number. Have you read the Atkins book or web site on pre-maintenance? That might give you some good suggestions too.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:17

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey believe-- i just responded to you in the other thread but here goes again =)
I guess u and i do have a lot in common-- i'm 19 and do the same super low carb, rushing around campus thing. I guess you know how many cal I eat-- that's really what keeps me from loosing. I would try adding olive oil (if u can?) or other high calorie foods. Also, try the atkins products-- maybe the sugar alcohols will be a good way to "re-introduce" you to "carbs" (even though we don't count them as net carbs, they do act somewhat like carbs and may help your body adjust)-- plus, they are high cal (the bars, not the shakes) which will help you stay at a healthy weight. I was afraid to add carbs too (still am), but like i said in my other post, i'm doing it gradually so as not to shock my system--lots of veggies, then add nuts, chickpeas are good. Also, try All bran cereal-- the fiber will help with your bloating/insulin reaction and yet will give u some carbs. And don't be afraid of gaining weight, at least to get back to your 100 goal--just keep telling yourself that your body has clearly reached a new set point and you're not going to jump back to 130 overnite =) Try eating extra servings at each meal too-- as in, even if u feel somewhat full, have another scoop of tuna salad or something....just a little bit more at every meal will go a long way
Best!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:21

BF:

Hi, werfr thanks for replying. I read DANDR and the 1972 version when I started doing Atkins in June, and last week I got the Atkins for Life kit and book, and I'm halfway through it. The reason I am only upping my carbs now is because I stayed on induction (with added nuts and LC bread; cheese and roasted nuts give me yeast problems) til goal weight in October/November. THen I began to progress to 25-30 carbs, but then I screwed up and cheated big time over the holidays. I freaked out and went back on induction to detox, but then I got lazy/comfortable and stopped tracking my carbs and ended up eating low low carb levels and losing past my goal weight. Now I am trying to up them again becuase I don't want to lose anymore, but of course it is harder than the first time, I guess because my body has adapted to a certain level now. Thanks for your help, I guess I will try to vary the # and see if that works. ANd I will stay away from the cabbage for sure!

Edited to Add:
Hi trustycat! oops I didn't see this post, but I read your post on the other board and replied. No, I'm not trying to get back to 100 because I don't want to buy new clothes LOL. 95 would be fine with me, just don't want to lose anymore. I used to eat the high carb bars and stuff before I cheated over the holidays and had to reinduct, and now I feel a lot better without them. Once I get my candida issues under control though I want to add in nuts and LC bread again, along with allowed cheeses, cause I miss them. What about you, are you really trying to get to 100 or are you fine with maintaining at 102? Cause if you're 5'3.5" that's pretty low, and if you exercise alot it could just be muscle. Personally I don't exercise much so I doubt I am that muscular, but I am trying to put on a couple pounds of muscle. So i guess 95 would be just right for me. Anyway, whatever you choose to do, you seem to have it all under control, so I guess I don't even need to wish you good luck cause you've already had much success with this WOE and maintenance . I'm looking forward to reaching that point in maintenance where I can just relax and enjoy my successes.

Eek this board is addicting, I need to get to work on my paper(s)! Don't you love being a college student? haha. day and thanks to all who replied!

Last edited by believe27 : Mon, Feb-02-04 at 16:11.