Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 16:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/234/199 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress:
Default LDL through the roof + prediabetes

Hi! I just got back my bloodwork, and my doctor is urging me to begin statins. My numbers are below. The super high LDL levels concern her (and me!) -- they're high enough that even if we checked particle size, the numbers probably still would be elevated. At the same time, I don't really want to begin statins if I don't have to, especially since my blood sugars are close to diabetic range. I'd appreciate any advice on whether it makes sense to test for LDL particle size, or whether I'm just part of that very small percentage of people whose LDL goes through the roof on Atkins and I need to consider a different approach. Thanks!

HDL 56
Cholesterol 306
Triglycerides 110
LDL 228
Cholesterol/HDL ratio 5.5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 16:35

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobey
...my doctor is urging me to begin statins.
that would be the worst thing you could do. if you do Atkins induction correctly, your triglycerides will drop, your HDL will rise, and more importantly, your ratios will improve (along with your health).

Cholesterol HDL, LDL, Triglycerides Ratio Calculator

Cholesterol Ratio Calculator
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 19:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

How did you determine prediabetes?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/234/199 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress:

Physician's interpretation of my fasting glucose. Based on experience, I'm clearly insulin resistant.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 22:05

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

My LDL went extremely high on Atkins. What I had to do was cut back on saturated fat and work out at the gym to help lower it. My body doesn’t like too much saturated fat apparently. I found out exercise helped a lot. I work my muscles on the weight machines at the gym about 5 hrs per week. Plus I walk. I’m in that small percent you mentioned. Us hyper responders have to do things differently than the typical Low carbers. I’m also insulin resistant. PM me if you want to.

Last edited by DelaneyLC : Mon, Jan-28-19 at 22:18.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The second section of LC Health is all about Cholesterol and Heart Disease.

Read back in that section for many good explanations of cholesterol, especially the two stickies at the top of that forum.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48

In addition, first comment is...it appears you are still losing weight. If you are actively losing fat, it is removed through the blood. Doctors should not take lipid panels until you are weight stable. https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015...nfuses-doctors/

#2.. your Trig/HDL ratio is actually good. Around 2 is good, 1 is Ideal, and around 70/70 optimal. While Trigs can drop fast, HDL takes its good 'ole time increasing. These important numbers look good to me (a patient of the doctor who wrote Cholesterol Clarity...not in healthcare myself, just a crazy LCer on the internet!)

There are so many good posts about cholesterol and LC in that sub-forum. There is a brand new guide on DietDoctor, and a short article I like for its title.
Cholesterol is our Best Friend https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481529

PS: on the pre-Diabetes, the induction level of New Atkins diet should take care of that, but if you want to consider additional protocols, there is also a sub-forum for Diabetes. https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-29-19 at 07:22.