Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-20, 12:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Carnivore Diet and Zero Carb

The carnivore diet has been gaining momentum for at least the past three years. It is now mainstream, particularly with regard to the health improvements experienced by people with serious auto immune disorders.
This January, is even "WorldCarnivoreMonth"

All the basics: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/carnivore

The above link has information and many stories: One of the most prominent and dramatic stories is of Canadian Mikhaila Peterson, who had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis that was so severe she’d had three joint replacements (a hip and two ankles) before age 17. She also had extreme fatigue, anxiety and depression. In 2015 she began eliminating foods to see if a specific food was contributing to her autoimmune issues. She ended up eating just beef, salt and water — and all her symptoms disappeared.

Also some of the most scientific and nuanced writing on the carnivore diet is being done by Amber O’Hearn, who has two blogs, Empirica and The Ketogenic Diet for Health. A computational mathematician, O’Hearn has been a carnivore for almost a decade and says she will stay on it for life, because it is the only way of eating that she has found that controls her bi-polar disorder. More stories at: https://meatrx.com/category/success-stories/

To learn more, there are many available resources now, including an older thread here titled Zero Carb. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960

Want more...An overwhelming list of Resources, from books, articles, FB pages, etc at:
https://justmeat.co

Popular podcast with 177 episodes with Dr. Shawn Baker:
https://humanperformanceoutliers.libsyn.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-20, 14:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good resources, Janet. My brother, who has been lc for many years, just started a carnivore WOE. I'm about as close as one can get to carnivore, but do eat some salad greens and Cruciferious veggies sometimes in small amounts. I'm intrigued by this WOE because the experiences of those who have embraced it are exceptional, and it's plausible that many would have similar experiences. This is very likely my next n=1 just to better understand how I respond to a carnivore approach. Glad you've started this thread.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-20, 15:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I started with just beef. I have more variety now, but it's 90% meat, dairy, eggs and seafood.

Put MY serious autoimmune condition into remission.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-20, 15:40

Joe Rogan is embracing carnivore this month, he's doing blood tests and body comp before and after, but has been blabbing on Twitter how he feels (high energy for one) and his plans for a weight loss show in February. Interested to hear how you and your brother find it...I have to overcome the boring attitude.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 03:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I have to overcome the boring attitude.

You mean eating the same thing day after day? The answer may surprise you, because it surprised me: everything is delicious.

Hunger is the best sauce

I really enjoy my simple, easy, meals. And I've honestly never said, "What, bacon, again?"
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 06:20

I've tried it and get to about a week, then have to have a salad. Doesn’t help the DH is eating one with his steak.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 08:10

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

To learn more, there are many available resources now, including an older thread here titled Zero Carb. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960

opular podcast with 177 episodes with Dr. Shawn Baker:
https://humanperformanceoutliers.libsyn.com

I went to the Zero Carb link and read the thread. Good stuff.
BUT . . . when I tried to go back to it today, it said it was a closed thread.
Then it refused to upload at all. How sad. I don't know if it is my system causing the problem.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 08:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I went to the Zero Carb link and read the thread. Good stuff.
BUT . . . when I tried to go back to it today, it said it was a closed thread.
Then it refused to upload at all. How sad. I don't know if it is my system causing the problem.

It's still there - try clicking on the link again. I'm sure someone with more computer knowledge can come up with some other ideas to get it to come up again.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 11:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for starting this carnivore thread.

Makes me wonder what we have done to the vegetables. What have they been sprayed with and if so ....is that the cause.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 13:34

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

For me, low carb has always meant a diet that is primarily meat, but only recently have I tried on purpose to eat just meat. Honestly, it's not that much different for me, although admittedly I will have fewer chocolate cravings on meat alone as opposed to my normal diet which includes tomatoes, avocados, cheese, and a chicken salad made with mayo and celery.

I think an all meat diet is probably easiest for those of us who consider salt our main spice. I've never been one to spend a lot of time looking for ways to prepare my meat. So long as it has salt on it, I'm good to go.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 14:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have always been pro fresh veggie. I belonged to two fruit and veggie co-ops, kept a whole inventory of every veggie and I was eating a new one every day. Then when I went LC I replaced the carb (on the plate) with another veggie. So I ate 3-4 oz of meat and lots of veggies.
Now, I eat much less veggies and basically no fruit.
It's like my body got to the point where it said, "too many veggies" It took me a while to listen because I was in disbelief.
Now I do so much better with a big steak taking up the whole plate and some Zucchini next the steak and I might not eat all of the Z either. Usually I eat a half of a Ribeye 7-8oz but sometimes 3/4ths 8-10oz.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 14:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I ate carnivore before it was called carnivore just like I ate keto before it was called keto. I've been doing this for a long time. At the time I ate that way it was called zero carb. Mostlt I eliminated vegetables because my gut couldn't tolerate the fiber but when my gut healed I was happy to add back vegetables. I don't eat any fruit and haven't for years but I have a large salad every day now and some stir fried vegetables with some form of protein. I wish there was more known about micronutrients. There are many credible hyptheses from credible people who definitely do not agree with each other. Dr Georgia Ede, Dr Terry Wahls, Marty Kendall, careful researchers with credible hypotheses. What I'm doing now seems to be working for me and I do like my vegetables. I like my meat too. It's always a work in progress for me.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 14:42

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Jean, for me too it was the fiber. Now that I am much better I do love Zucchini, yellow squash but I still can't find any green beans these days that aren't tough and fibrous so I am giving up on those even though I use to love them.
Along with all of those veggies I was having before I was also eating salad daily but I haven't started that back up, i'm still staying away from raw.
I use celery in cooking but I remove all of the fibrous strings before chopping.
If I have Broccoli, I definitely discard the fibrous stems and eat the florets only.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 02:48

BF:

Likewise, it's the fiber. I have a small "grab" on top of my deli of greens, pickles are ok, a few berries and cherries; that's it. Sometimes tomato sauce on my eggs.

But I have agreed with the FIBER MENACE researcher. The less I eat of it, the more my body likes it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 08:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I think an all meat diet is probably easiest for those of us who consider salt our main spice. I've never been one to spend a lot of time looking for ways to prepare my meat. So long as it has salt on it, I'm good to go.

I've always said that if a recipe had more than 3 ingredients (meat, salt, and pepper), I wasn't interested.