Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 00:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Full fat dairy products help cut risk of obesity and diabetes, study suggests

Full fat dairy products help cut risk of obesity and diabetes, study suggests

Full fat milk, cheese and yoghurt reduces the risk of metabolic syndrome compared to low fat counterparts, the study found

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...diabetes-study/

Quote:
Two daily helpings of full fat dairy can help cut the risk of obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure, a study published in British Medical Journal has suggested.

Full fat milk, cheese and yoghurt have a greater impact in reducing the risk of metabolic syndrome (MetS) - a combination of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity - compared to low fat counterparts, according to the study.

Around one in three adults in the UK aged 50 or older is affected by MetS, which is associated with greater risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and other conditions involving blood vessels.

The team of researchers at McMaster University in Canada looked at data from the Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study involving more than 140,000 people from 21 countries who were followed for an average of nine years.

Participants, all aged between 35 and 70, filled out questionnaires to assess their dietary intake over a period of 12 months.

They also provided information on medical history, which included use of prescription medicines, smoking and measurements of weight, height, waist circumference, blood pressure and fasting blood glucose.

The research found that two daily dairy servings was associated with a 24 per cent lower risk of MetS when compared with no daily dairy intake.

The risk dropped to 28 per cent when only full fat dairy products were consumed, the researchers said, while eating only low fat dairy was not associated with a lower prevalence of MetS.

While the research was an observational study which could not prove causation, previous studies have found that milk products help in weight management thus reducing the risk of developing MetS.

A 2017 study published on Dairy Nutrition found that calcium, vitamin D and magnesium may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes through their role in modulating insulin resistance, pancreatic beta-cell function and inflammation.

Evidence from cell culture also suggests calcium may reduce fat cell lipid accumulation, the study said.

Writing in the journal BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care, the researchers of the 2020 study noted: "Higher intake of whole fat (but not low fat) dairy was associated with a lower prevalence of MetS and most of its component factors, and with a lower incidence of hypertension and diabetes."

In the research study, butter and cream were assessed separately as these are not commonly eaten in some of the countries involved - which included Argentina, Canada and Sweden.

The standard serving size for a glass of milk or a cup of yogurt was 244g, one slice of cheese was 15g and a teaspoon of butter was 5g.

The researchers point out their study is observational and needs to be evaluated in large randomised trials.

The researchers wrote: "If our findings are confirmed in sufficiently large and long term trials, then increasing dairy consumption may represent a feasible and low cost approach to reducing (metabolic syndrome), hypertension, diabetes, and ultimately cardiovascular disease events worldwide."

The research follows a 2018 study review led by the University of Cambridge which also found that people who consumed fat-rich dairy were less likely than those who did not to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 03:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I won't miss low-fat cheese. Haven't touched the stuff since the late 80's, but it still echoes.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 07:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I won't miss low-fat cheese. Haven't touched the stuff since the late 80's, but it still echoes.

I'm not aware of any low/no-fat products that I remember as having a fondness for. I do wonder what happened to all the fat that was removed from those products.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 07:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I really think weight drifting upwards puts people at risk of choosing lower fat options, though. Not a fan of low fat cheese or skim milk, but arrow of causation is spinning madly here.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 12:04

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Higher fat dairy products are more filling so might reduce greater consumption of carbohydrate foods to achieve fullness. I suspect that as a factor in the Spanish study done years ago comparing people assigned a low fat diet to those supplemented with free olive oil or nuts who did better than the low fat group. Higher healthy fats of various sorts displace less healthy carbohydrate energy sources, decreasing diabetes risk.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 13:05

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

They always say take your vitamin D with fat for good absorption, don't they?
To me, it just make sense that we shouldn't tamper with mother nature.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 18:55

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

For milk and many other foods, the flavor is in the fat.

My Italian mom would go out of her way to get whole milk mozzarella instead of that part-skim evil cousin.

I do the same thing. If it says low fat or part-skim on the cheese, it doesn't go into my shopping cart.

And to lighten my tea or coffee, it's heavy whipping cream, none of this half and half (which isn't even half cream) or low-fat milk. They don't taste as good, and they have sugar carbs.

Eating fat keeps me skinny.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 23:02

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

The annoying thing is even trying to FIND whole milk mozzarella! I was at Publix sometime last year and wanted some mozzarella. I looked at EVERY SINGLE option in the store and every single brand they carried was “part skim”. Every single one! I actually asked the clerk working in that department if they had any full-fat mozzarella and he looked at me like I had two heads. Later tried Winn-Dixie and they only had part-skim mozzarella too. I finally found whole milk mozzarella at Fresh Market.

But it’s harder now that I’m not going into stores myself and I’m finding I have to be less fussy just to be able to get food.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 23:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
The annoying thing is even trying to FIND whole milk mozzarella! I was at Publix sometime last year and wanted some mozzarella. I looked at EVERY SINGLE option in the store and every single brand they carried was “part skim”. Every single one! I actually asked the clerk working in that department if they had any full-fat mozzarella and he looked at me like I had two heads. Later tried Winn-Dixie and they only had part-skim mozzarella too. I finally found whole milk mozzarella at Fresh Market.

But it’s harder now that I’m not going into stores myself and I’m finding I have to be less fussy just to be able to get food.

Hi Debbie, If you have a Fresh Market, you should do an instacart delivery from there. I've done it a few times for bottled water and it was so easy.
Glad to know they have the full fat Moz because I've searched for it myself.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 03:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
They always say take your vitamin D with fat for good absorption, don't they?
To me, it just make sense that we shouldn't tamper with mother nature.

I agree. To me, the condemnation of fat was part of disordered thinking about food based on public relations, not any kind of science, or even history.

"Amber waves of grain" got a whole song and countless commercials with the sun peeping over the horizon. Now I can look back and see how we were relentlessly SOLD on certain concepts.

Once the Lipid Hypothesis got rolling, so did processed food. Fat is the element which goes rancid the fastest. They were happy to leave it out of the Snackwells.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 09:07
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Eating fat keeps me skinny.

I want that on a t-shirt.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 14:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

Mom and dad used to go to an Italian-American mom-and-pop store. I don't think there are any of those left.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 16:28

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've been settling for part skim mozz for years now, because I can get it so much cheaper than the whole milk mozz. According to the USDA nutrition stats on whole milk mozz compared to what I buy - the whole milk mozz has a whopping 0.3 g more fat/oz than the part skim, so that's not exactly a big difference in fat content. They don't state the ratio of skim to whole milk content on the label of the cheese I buy, buy such a slight difference might explain why the part skim mozz I buy is still pretty darn good.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 18:50

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thank you for this article.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 04:42

BF:

Full fat dairy has become a key component of my anti-immune diet. Organic and goat/sheep cheeses are very satiating. Also versatile for dessert items: meat has limited utility there