Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 23:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

One more question for the crowd...
What fuels you the best for your runs? Personally, I prefer to run on empty, but as I start to venture into longer runs, I'm wondering if that's the best way or not.

What do you all do?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 03:53

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

well i run on empty and after my bad experience i shall continue to run on empty. although a teaspoon of coconut oil an hour before can go a long way.
over the next few weeks im going to work on my speed. i generally try and do the first 3k slow the next 3k medium and ramp it up towards the end so can finish the last 1k strongly. I find it better than burning out early on when doing a distance. I always get a buzz of adrenalin when i know theres just 1k to go and can push it harder then.
But the 2 weeks im going to try and improve on speed over 3k runs and then 6k. i wont run 10k again until 4 weeks time, a week before the next 10k race. then i hope to improve my time and do some serious work on speed and endurance leading upto the 10k in August. Thats the one i am aiming to do under an hour!!!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, May-19-12, 05:47

BF:

Coconut oil! Good idea - I will have to try that once I get into really long runs. Good luck with your speed work! I need to be doing the same thing.

I think I'm getting addicted! Today's training run was 10K, and it was the first time for me to do that much running all at once. It felt so good, though! I'm sad that I have to wait a whole 'nother week to do a long run. But, I know I need the shorter runs throughout the week as well.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, May-19-12, 12:06

Yes, you need the shorter runs so those muscles don't seize up!
I'm doing a little 3k tomorrow to work on my speed. 10k is a long way isn't it?!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, May-23-12, 00:43

BF:

It is a long way! I was kind of surprised when I looked at my Runkeeper map at the end. But it's so much fun with good music and beautiful weather. And the Zombies Run app is just the icing on the cake. Yesterday I did 5K on the treadmill, and I thought I was going to keel over in the middle. I was so hot. The training room in my gym doesn't have A/C, so I think it's probably time for me to move more runs outside.

How did the speed 3K go?
  #51   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 04:51

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i don't think about what i eat too much before a run. i just try to avoid eating anything to heavy.

i ran my first race a week and a half ago. it was a 7k trail race and had neverending hills. we had run through creeks and climb up the steep banks using ropes. very fun and muddy. my time was 1 hour and 11 minutes, so it wasn't too good. my main goal was just to finish since i haven't been running too long. i'm looking forward to the warrior dash in another week and a half.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 20:18

BF:

TaraTea- Congrats on your first race! A trail race sounds like a lot of fun! I could see how adding in hills and steep banks with ropes could definitely affect your time. How did the warrior dash go?

This morning, I ran my last 5K in preparation for my wee race this weekend. I wanted to try running after eating coconut oil. Went ok. I am really excited for the race.

peauk, how's your running going?
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 05:54

I have been doing quite a few 3k speed runs. Got 50 seconds off my best time last week. Im supposed to be doing a 10k on friday but it is through the woods and its not stopped raining here and we are flooded. My friend went to the place on friday and said it was really muddy and sodden and given that the forecast for friday is constant rain i think im going to give it a miss! I wanted to better my time but through mud it is highly unlikely and im not a fan of mud or rain!
My next 10k is in august, but i will be practising lots before hand.
Good luck ferry girl for your run and well done Tara. Finishing is an achievement in itself!
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-12, 20:50

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

The Warrior Dash was AMAZING! it took me 1 hour and 12 minutes to finish, which is 12 minutes longer than i planned, but that was mostly because of the 90+ degrees heat, bad ass hills and waiting at obstacles. i'll be more prepared next year now that i know exactly what to expect. i recommend for runners or walkers. i had such a good time! my dad and sister in law are both signing up for next year, because they loved watching it.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-12, 04:29

There's a 10k marine commando challenge I'm looking at doing. It sounds similar to the warrior dash. Get googling at it, just trying to rope some friends in! No pun intended!!
It's very muddy & it's a marines course and you get marines helping you on the day.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-12, 18:31

BF:

TaraTea- Congrats on the Warrior Dash! So glad you had a great experience. And how fun that your dad and sister are going to sign up next year! What was the best part of the race?

peauk- The marine challenge sounds awesome. Marines? Yes, please. Have you found any friends to do it yet?

My 5K was so much fun yesterday. I came in 39th out of 105 in my division, and I couldn't have been happier about that. I was pretty sure I was going to come in last. My time was 29:30. I was happy about that, too. Can't wait to sign up for my next race!
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 06:29

Way to go ferrygirl on your time
I'm doing the treadmill tonight & outdoors on Wednesday, both 5k ish.
No takers on the commando challenge but I'm doing a fitness fun marathon in September, 12 hours of fitness classes back to back!
Going to do it dressed as a cat if I get enough sponsors
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 20:16

BF:

If I lived near you, I'd totally take you up on that challenge! I hope you get enough sponsors to dress like a cat for the fitness class marathon.

I'm looking forward to resuming my regular running schedule. I've been missing my long runs! The weather looks a bit threatening today, so not sure if it will happen or not.

Do you all drink anything while you run? I don't, but I'm always curious about what others are doing.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 05:24

I sip water to keep my mouth moist. Im lucky to live by the sea, but the breeze really dries my mouth up.
Im keeping my fingers crossed the weather holds out for tomorrow evening so i can get a run in and again on Sunday too.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 16:48

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thought I might join the thread, not really a runner yet just starting out. Made it through C25K Week 4 day 1 so far, in the past I quit in Week 3 both times. Things seem much better this time around, hardly any pain issues at all and just better general fitness.
I see some of you started the C25K plan a few months ago and others running trail races. My goal is to be able to run on the hilly trails at the local park a few miles away. Hopeful to make progress to that end soon.