Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/192/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I stumbled on this and thought I would add my two cents. I've decided that there are moments in life, good and bad, that motivate me. There are goals that are really important to me that motivate me. I need that motivation to get started and keep focused. There is another factor however that is not motivation that is just as important: will power (strength). When I first began lc'iing in January, my will power was low, but I became very motivated. It wasn't easy at first to give up carbs. But every time I was tempted and said no to something I was exercising my mental muscle. I am considerably stronger now than I was then. I think that motivation and will power are like two oars for the row boat to success. You need them both or you're just going to spin in circles and give up.

I've been motivated without will power and when I was weak it just killed the motivation. I've had will power, i.e. the strength to make good decisions, without motivation. (Just because you have strong muscles doesn't mean you're going to go and repeatedly lift a heavy stone just because you can.) When you have both, they support each other, grow each other, and you get where you want to go.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 12:20
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I like that quote, Melissa. It's very true, isn't it?

It definitely is. I think it's in Judy's sig line.

--Melissa
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 12:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
It definitely is. I think it's in Judy's sig line.

--Melissa

Yup! its in my sig line and has been for quite a while....thanks Melissa!!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

I think its very true....and that was one of the reasons I chose to log my food daily in my journal as I lost my weight...."practice makes perfect" and I needed lots of it to change my eating habits to what they are now.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 10:36

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 365/301/140 Female 5"9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

* Bump *
(I really needed to read this today!)
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 10:55

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 10:59

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maori
Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying.

Perfect quote for the day, thank you
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 07:29

Stats: 315/257/210 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 55%

Great thread! I think Motivation is different for everyone, some folks need "something" at the end of their journey, others do not.

I thought long and hard about why I wanted to do this before I started. What I came up with? I just want be an athlete again. I miss competitive sports so much. So that is my motivation. Obviously there are other things that come with it, but that is my main source of motivation right now.

If you can think it, you can do it!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 10:17
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs__74
Great thread! I think Motivation is different for everyone, some folks need "something" at the end of their journey, others do not.

I thought long and hard about why I wanted to do this before I started. What I came up with? I just want be an athlete again. I miss competitive sports so much. So that is my motivation. Obviously there are other things that come with it, but that is my main source of motivation right now.

If you can think it, you can do it!

I was active, too -- and I really miss it. I still have 2 windsurfers in the garage. I remember the last time I windsurfed was in the early 1990's when I weighed around 230 lbs. It just took too much wind to get the board up and moving. It wore me out and was not much fun. That was a sad day. My goal is to one day rig those antiques up again hit the water -- just like I used to do.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Jun-17-14 at 13:38.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 13:04

Stats: 315/257/210 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hey Ken! I hear you, I miss playing basketball so much. I am hoping to get back into by the Fall. Enough of sitting on the sidelines!! That Windsurfing sounds fun! You will be surfing in no time....
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 17:24

Plan: lchf
Stats: 266/227/199 Male 5/11
BF:waist 56 inches
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yup Liz....that was me....I had always been looking for my motivation and never found it. I just could not live being morbidly obese any longer....it was a "just do it" for me.

At first, it was scary time....would I make it, could I make it....but each day that I got through, helped me to feel like I would and could....it built on itself. Was I motivated? or was I just doing it.....shrug

I recall the last blackout we had here almost 5 yrs ago...before I lost the weight. I got very scared because I was forced to climb 14 flights of stairs several times and felt like I was having a heart attack. That and having been through 9/11.....I realized that my very life may just depend on my being able to escape. Fear of death can be a great motivator!!

I knew that I had to change permanently...that there would be no going back to the way I used to eat. I iwsh I could bottle this for others.
I stopped drinkin 25 yrs ago because I had rather been dead than to continue livin like that. thanks judy.