Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-22, 08:13

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hahaha I just love the Chop and y'alls relationship Trig. You are a crusty ole thing with a soft middle. And no I don't mean squishy either!

Lori I have heard of those pies although I don't know that I have ever had one before. Sounds very sweet!

Okay so I am getting my covid test today for pre-procedure but here is my question/dilemma- I am supposed to drink TWO 20 ounce gatorades the day before and one 20 ounce gatorade the day of. I checked and asked about non-sugar ones and they said it has to be the sugary kind.. they want me to have a certain number of carbs going into the surgery. What is that all about??

I haven't had sugar subs or sugar since Nov 2nd and I am really dragging my feet about this. Do carbs actually help somehow with a twilight sleep type procedure in any way???

Edited to add- I just looked it up and I guess it is supposed to be helpful for recovery in some way but I think maybe I can sub in Powerade and just not tell them that. Maybe I will drink just the one the day of and otherwise Powerade. I don't know. I find this very annoying! I don't need to kick off major cravings the week of Thanksgiving when I have been doing so well!

Not much going on besides the covid test today. I have defrosted a bone in rib eye roast so I need to look up how to make that for dinner tonight.

Last edited by niccofive : Fri, Nov-18-22 at 08:18.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-22, 08:27

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Nic.....I don't know about the sugar thing helping with recovery from a procedure, but if the medical people were stressing the point.....I would drink the sugar and get back to plan once it's over. I understand you not wanting to fire up cravings, but if it helps with the safety of the procedure, I'd do it. Your choice, of course, but that's my 2 cents.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-22, 08:48

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

I wouldn't drink that sugar ever. but it is a very personal walk as this goes down for you truly!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-22, 12:00

BF:

Super happy to report that the Dr gave me a pass on drinking that so hooray!

They also randomly changed the time. I was supposed to be there 1:30 Monday and they changed it to arriving at 5:30 AM Monday. Luckily Dh can move things around to accommodate but dang this has been a pain in the arse!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-22, 15:16

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Soooo sorry- been rough today and busy- PUTTING down dot. Coming back before the day is over- promise! ....hang tight- stuff to tell.......

BAck in a bit.

EDITED- I am so frekin tired. Got vaccine, and sat in doctored office 4.5 hours, 3 tests online and more paper work and endless calls to agency! Just nothing left. See ya in morning! Stuff to catch up on both ways!

In jammies and over it- slight headache. Catch up in am

Last edited by Jaz66 : Fri, Nov-18-22 at 16:33.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-22, 04:59

BF:

Good Morning!

Jaz......It sounds like you had quite a day! Hope you were able to get a lot accomplished and get a good night's sleep.

Nic......Glad you don't have to drink all that sugar! You were smart to check with the Dr. to see if it was necessary.

Trig....Anything going this weekend?

-------

Gabby got me up at 4:30. Bless her. BIL comes for a visit today and overnight. That means I won't have a good night's sleep tonight. He's up several times and I don't sleep well with someone else in the house. We'll go out for dinner tonight...so there's that.

I'm going to make another big pot of beef & noodles for Betty today. She loves it and it's something easy to warm up for her. I think she would eat it 3 times a day! I just have to make a grocery store run this morning to get what I need.

Ok....more coffee while I wait for you all to wake up.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-22, 07:14

BF:

Lori it is great Betty is eating well and like ya said, some foods heat up so well that it is perfect. good move on handling her chow she loves!!

Nothing doing this weekend. Just freezing my cahoonies off kinda HA

At least ya know BIL and 'his thing' so even tho it can annoy ya, ya know what to expect have fun eating out!!

Jaz, heck yea you are slammed but you got this truly! Normal life in a way for ya but keep the eyes now on a 'place to land' for some residency and paid off condo or ?? Older we get that security is key for alot of us, might not be you but think more forward, cause damn time flies and our security is smart to address ya know I know you know this LOL

Nicco, yea the Chop and me get along good as all us married here get along so well with the other 1/2 We are all lucky.

Sending big HUGS on you getting thru the procedure and all goes well......no one enjoys med stuff LOL but you will be fine I am sure!!

----------------today is leftover meatloaf and a steak I got defrosting. Hubby to work. Kid sleeping. Dog in 'psycho' drug seizure med land' as normal HA

nothing doing. big load laundry in. have to vacuum cause dog now takes his food and wanders it around the house and drops it everywhere? WTH? yea he is brain warped on these meds and it is like, ok today is FIX the floor issues...omg

too cold for me. shut down literally.

thinking of trip in like towards end Jan for 2 wks Florida but kid is irked......she is take me over Xmas, New Years break time with ya and I am like I can't get anything booked NOW ya know and she is like you go there I wanna go and I am like, stay home and enjoy and she is like, that is bullshit HAHA oh well I am trying LOL we shall see....ugh

off to get crap done.
be good all.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-22, 13:06

BF:

Jaz I know you are exhausted dealing with everything you have to do right now in prep for moving and the new job. Hugs.

Lori- Beef and noodles really does sound like such comfort food. I'm glad you are able to do that for Betty! Hope your BIL's visit goes okay.

Trig- How do you make your meatloaf as a carnivore? I know beef and egg but what else? Do you put ground pork rinds in it? Spices? Any tomato paste or anything? What condiments do you use if any?

LOL on the kid wanting to be taken. Obviously more expensive over the holidays but then again, she is a senior. OTOH most colleges don't go back until mid January or later so you will be able to set up cheaper trips with her then. Christmas break is usually SO LONG lol

•••••••••

All is well here. Dh set up the tree for me and then will tinsel it so I can decorate it. I am so lucky with him, he really is just a kind, wonderful person. He is out running errands while my lazy ass is still in pjs. He is getting himself a pizza thing for the football game tomorrow so I gave him a grocery list for me to make soup for myself for tmrw. He's also getting some small lights to put up around the mantel bc ours have blown out and just doing odds and ends around. For my part I have changed the bed into our thick microfleece sheets for the winter and am doing the laundry. Teamwork!

Keeping up fine with the WOE- day 18 no sugar, subs or flour based anything. Scale isn't really doing squat but clothes are getting looser which means the internal work is being done. Win!

Make it a great day!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-22, 15:46

BF:

I just did a crapload of Christmas shopping for the kids and their spouses. I had opened an Amazon rewards card a year or two ago and whatever I buy off Amazon gets rewards and I only use it for Amazon. I had enough rewards money to buy most of the Christmas gifts this year! Woohoo! I also have nearly 50 bucks to use on Fetch also that I can use for Stocking Stuffers for the clan. Love savings with no effort!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-22, 17:02

BF:

OMG - I AM so sorry- my life ....... trying to get it done single no help- I am OVERWHELMED.

I cancelled Thanksgiving with family- I just can't, overslept today and got to BLS class required within 5 minutes. I am not sleeping- 5 days now in row. I am on overdrive and exhaustion. I told my son he can only come if he stays 2 days or less- I am not doing thanksgiving, NOT going to my aunts, and and and and, I am melt down.................just me and this time around it isn't working.

My daughters' kids are sick- fine- one less thing to deal with. They always seem to "be sick" when we get together" whatever moving on.

I am falling asleep- standing up.
So sorry- chat tomorrow- I promise I am not out of jammies tomorrows and will catch up- I am holding on by a sting / thread right now.
ROUGH.

nite
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-22, 19:07

BF:

Oh Jaz, big BIG hugs to you. There is a LOT going on and I totally get that you would be feeling so overwhelmed and going into the holiday period as well. It is a ton on your shoulders.

I hope you sleep tonight and tomorrow seems better than the past couple of days. HUGS!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-22, 06:50

BF:

Good Morning!

25 degrees and this chick is staying inside all day! Brrrr!

Had a good night. BIL seems to be doing better with sleeping. He was up a couple times to the loo, but went right back to bed. No wandering around the house etc. I would hear him but was able to go right back to sleep. He and DH are out for breakfast now and I'm enjoying my morning coffee in peace.

Not planning to do much today. Should do a workout, but that remains to be seen. Tomorrow is another day.

--------

Jaz.....So sorry that you're having to deal with SO much in such a limited time frame. I can only imagine how overwhelmed you're feeling. I hope things start to fall into place soon for you.

Nic & Trig.....Have a good Sunday!

--------

Bye!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-22, 08:00

BF:

Lori so glad BIL is doing well on this trip, keeps your peace of mind good

Nicco, super cool you got a good present haul with good savings and more. You have alot to 'buy' wtih your big ol' family.

decorate tree time. kid wants tree up and I am putting it off like crazy LOL I have 0 interest but will jack it up later a tiny tiny bit ya know to make her happy. She wants all the decorations but do NONE of the work LOL yea right

super glad clothes are showing truths. screw the scale, all about you feeling thinner and your pants showing just that, means more than a number as we know! congrats on doing so well.

Jazz, smart to cancel and take care of you. just breathe thru it, take all pressure of the holidays off you too, your kids are grown and they can easily understand. You will be ok....your new home and move and work are very important, keep that as your focus and you will be fine and get'er done as you always do.

---------------having internet issues guys. might be down a day or 2?? as I fix my ancient computer. My Mircosoft Edge won't log on but I can get in by Chrome....who knows LOL what a PIA. I tell ya......

today is simple. just live. easily. get thru it HAHA

nothing more at this point. be good and if I go silent I am fixing computer crap LOL
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-22, 08:56

BF:

Hello friends!

Brrrrr- very cold here today as well and windy as heck! We got recommendations to keep items charged up in case of a power outage from wind. I don't expect that to happen and hopefully it does not because we don't have a gas fireplace!

Jaz- super big hugs. Curious about your Dd and her DH as far as their business goes. How will they manage that while being gone for a month? Do the kids just miss a month of school as well? I guess at their ages it doesn't matter much. How old are they again? Isn't the little one in kindergarten this year already?

Lori- excellent that BIL's visit went better than you expected, for you and for him!

Trig- girl WHY don't you just buy a new computer?? I feel like you have been keeping this one barely up and running for a couple of years now. You can get a new one pretty cheap. It will be so much faster and better than what you are used to!

••••••••

All is well here besides cold. I'm going to go make my soup after I write this and will nosh on it this week. YUM. DH has put the tinsel on the tree so while it is simmering I will decorate that. The other decorations are going up around the house a bit at a time as well.

Football is on at 1 pm. We are apparently playing the Panthers and SHOULD win but with the Ravens there is never a guarantee. I guess that keeps it interesting!

Procedure tmrw at the buttcrack of dawn so I may or may not be on tmrw. Jaz I will check in later to see what is up with you.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-22, 10:56

BF:

I'm BACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!!
OMG what a Rough 3 days it has been I swear to the....... anyway!

Thanks for holding my spot. I am going to ATTEMPT to convey it all.
First personals- I am lacking and woeful, I so apologize.

First- NIC- WHAT Procedure are they making you drink sugar?!!?!?!?! The ONLY one I have heard they want that for is a glucose tolerance test? I am clueless on any other. Sugar is NOT good in ANY fashion as it is the MOST inflammatory substance on the planet....... What are you having done?!?!?!? I must have missed something.
When I had my "big" surgery, I needed ginger due to the nausea from the anesthetics. Second- going back to the sugar thing- your body has ENOUGH reserve to make its own glucose from your liver to compensate for anything you are having done. Sound like COMPLETE RUBBISH and to me. IF and mean IF you are needs electrolytes, they can hang a bag of it in recovery room. Compete trash advice. Just giving you MY thoughts- do as you feel you need to.

Next: awesome you are not hosting this year for Thanksgiving. I did it several years and I was very stressed. Everything had to be perfect! Last time I hosted we ended up having a DEAD RAT behind the wall to the stove and the entire kitchen stunk like rotting rat. Looking back on it is hysterical now. That was years ago. Beautiful part of being single, nobody expects a thing from you!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

WTG on that DS20- wowsa has he come a way!!!!!!! We are proud mommas for him. Watched him grow up and so incredible. I love that our kids grow up to be AMAZING ADULTS!
Good job momma bear.

So cool on the books on podcast and boom you are where you need to be! LOVE that. I am DEF going to check into that. My friend has an hour commute in Boston and does the same thing!

How is your WOE going!?
WHOOT on getting those gifts wrapped up and completed.

Trig- Girl- when I send you those pic's you are going to jump in that RV and park it down the street at Kiawah beach! You and I are made from that same cloth of beach, sun and sand!

How freking cool to get kiddo such a thoughtful gift for Christmas! I just LOVE that! About her, and so personal!

I am thrilled your hubby is THRIVING where he works. I say NO to him being a full-time employee. He has it made as a self-contractor. He can do as he pleases! I would not want TIED down after I retire!

Girl when I take down these decorations they are not going back up!

Lori
- Shaker Sugar Pie! Ohhhhhhhhhh what I would not give to have one more piece that my grandma used to make for me. It came straight from the quakers up in Oh/PA. She got the recipe from a gal who was a quaker and it was so simple yet AMAZING. I LOVE that pie. My grandma though put in a few sprinkles of love so it will never taste like "HERS". But man did the house smell good and I could not WAIT to dig it. It is more of a custard than anything else, with heavy cream and sugar. pretty much it. She sprinkled the top with nutmeg. Holy cow.

Your beef and noodles, and shaker pie are KILLING me here! HAHAHAHAHAH- no wonder Betty is thriving!

Glad all is well with BIL- and he is leaving! HAHAHAAH
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok all, grab some coffee, tea, happy hour beverage of choice and sit back...........here comes the story........... comfy?!?!?!?

Once upon a time...... Just kidding. Reality- There was this gal, in Atl. who went from Zero to 360 in an hour.

So....... to catch you all up. I was asked to put in 4 places, as you know Charleston came through in 24 hours. WTH...... Add that to my notice to VACATE, and Kid coming, and holiday, and and and and ..........

Here I am:
I had to get my testing pre-physical, DTAP, Blood work, pee test, background going, testing competencies (that including drug pharmacology, and IV titration). Do you know it has been AGES since I have had to calculation an IV drip?!?!?!?!?!?!- Why they are making me do this is BEYOND me.
My physical had me sitting in the waiting room for 4 hours! Then another hour for a doctor to come in for 30 sec and say yup your good.

I was an entire day on phone lining up movers, a storage unit. Place to stay in Charleston. It took me TWO days to find a place. North Charleston is not a great place. I ended up on on James Island!

James Island- Holy smokes BEAUTIFUL- I will be beach bound, or wildlife preserve. It is the most "natural" of the spots in Charleston area. I will be 20 minutes from work. Which people were like OMG such a far drive. Are you KIDDING me coming from ATL ?!?!?!?
Downtown Charleston is 25 min, Hospital is 20, beach is 20, and a Food Lion is 1/2 block. All good. The "big box" stores re about 30 minutes in Mt. Pleasent. St. Johns is not as built up which I like!

My condo is cute as a button. That being said- I can only stay there 2/3 moths as they have another booking. Ok- I will find a spot last month. Will try to share pics!

I do NOT know what unit I will be on when I get there. However get this........ So MUSC (hospital) is building a brand-new small facility over in Kiawah Island- They will be looking for nurses! New facility. Supposed to open end of 2023?!?!?!?
IF this worked out- and I could get a job there- wow- I would stay. You should see this beach. It is a 2nd best to St. Simon only better!

https://www.kiawahisland.org/

https://www.goatsontheroad.com/top-...-kiawah-island/

So Johns island is 10 min from there on same island.

I am tired, but it will all get done. 2 weeks from today I will be checking in.

I need a nap-

Back at ya

PS have not packed a single box.
Closed Thread