Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-22, 02:24

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default ‘Mr Cholesterol’ Ancel Keys’ 70 year dietary con – Prof Tim Noakes

Quote:
‘Mr Cholesterol’ Ancel Keys’ 70 year dietary con – Prof Tim Noakes

A brief look at human history will quickly reveal how it was essentially shaped by only a select few individuals. American physiologist Ancel Keys is one of these individuals. After a relentless crusade, Keys established his twin hypotheses relating to the relationship between diet, cholesterol, and coronary heart disease as the globally dominant nutritional paradigm which still stands to this day. In this series on insulin resistance, Professor Tim Noakes pulls back the curtain, exposing Keys as a scientist who allowed his ambition to take preference over sound science. What has been perceived as groundbreaking scientific work and adopted for the last 70 years is, in fact, an unproven hypothesis stitched together by confirmation bias and strategic networking. In Part 10 of the series, Noakes recounts the ways in which Keys circumvented the rigour of scientific process to “wage war on cholesterol”.

Read the article in full here: https://www.biznews.com/health/2022...lesterol-keys-2
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-22, 02:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Who better to call out the whole scam than this doctor? I just got the book, Real Food on Trial.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-22, 09:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The sad and alarming thing about the cholesterol and heart disease claims is that it has become so embedded in our medical approach perpetuated and locked in by a revenue seeking pharmaceutical industry not willing to give up the ultimate cash cow in statins. Society is still fully invested in this belief system. While I agree with everything that Noakes has written, blaming Keys is not helping to change the system. All medical students are educated about the negative effects of cholesterol to the point where the belief system is fully locked in with this concept. Grants to medical schools today primarily come from the pharmaceutical companies, and this informs their curricula. Alarming because those of us on a path to health through sound nutritional practices are always going to run into this at our doctors' offices from the nurse to the PA to the physician. While some have different views, they are still a very small minority. My regular physician retired last year, and it's been a whirlwind establishing a relationship with a new person. I'm still looking for the right person, as when I may have what I would call a visit for a simple medical situation, they're bent on looking at my full history regarding symptoms I no longer have or have been completely resolved. Add to that the increasing patronization of those of us in our 70s or older with the inference that we have no knowledge and need education in this area for us poor dears. To be blunt, it's unacceptable. This is system medicine as a service that has failed and may not be recoverable.

As an alternative to the heart disease/ cholesterol hypothesis (I regret even giving it the hypothesis label), one alternative is to read Malcolm Kendrick's book, "The Clot Thickens." This presents a far more plausible hypothesis in my view.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Mon, Sep-05-22 at 09:27.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-22, 09:39

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The sad and alarming thing about the cholesterol and heart disease claims is that it has become so embedded in our medical approach perpetuated and locked in by a revenue seeking pharmaceutical industry not willing to give up the ultimate cash cow in statins. Society is still fully invested in this belief system. While I agree with everything that Noakes has written, blaming Keys is not helping to change the system. All medical students are educated about the negative effects of cholesterol to the point where the belief system is fully locked in with this concept. Grants to medical schools today primarily come from the pharmaceutical companies, and this informs their curricula. Alarming because those of us on a path to health through sound nutritional practices are always going to run into this at our doctors' offices from the nurse to the PA to the physician. While some have different views, they are still a very small minority. My regular physician retired last year, and it's been a whirlwind establishing a relationship with a new person. I'm still looking for the right person, as when I may have what I would call a visit for a simple medical situation, they're bent on looking at my full history regarding symptoms I no longer have or have been completely resolved. Add to that the increasing patronization of those of us in our 70s or older with the inference that we have no knowledge and need education in this area for us poor dears. To be blunt, it's unacceptable. This is system medicine as a service that has failed and may not be recoverable.

As an alternative to the heart disease/ cholesterol hypothesis (I regret even giving it the hypothesis label), one alternative is to read Malcolm Kendrick's book, "The Clot Thickens." This presents a far more plausible hypothesis in my view.

As usual Rob I agree with you 100%. Having reached my 70's I too am likely to be treated as if my mind is made of mush and nothing I think or believe could possibly be true. With good nutrition and exercise getting older does not have to mean cognitive decline nor are most of those good doctors out there anything other than drinkers of the Kool Aid.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-22, 09:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Maybe we need to hand a copy to our primary doctors!!; Bet that would change the culture, even if a bit slower than we'd like. But still faster than current trend.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Sep-05-22 at 10:04.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-22, 03:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's a much shorter article to hand your doctor. Dr. Malcolm Kendrick ends it

Quote:
Key comment – to be found at the end.

‘…there is no scientific ground to demonize SFA as a cause of CVD. SFA naturally occurring in nutrient-dense foods can be safely included in the diet.’
. From the European Journal of Preventative Cardiology.

https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/adv...ext&login=false

And "Please now write out one hundred times:

Saturated fat does not cause cardiovascular disease".

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2022/09/22/saturated-fat/

There is an interesting postscript on Vitamin D and Co-vid, his theory on last weeks's question.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-22, 12:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
There is an interesting postscript on Vitamin D and Co-vid, his theory on last weeks's question.

I remember this was floated early on in the pandemic. And those of us here were glad we supplemented D3. It seems like a very solid thing that has a lot of follow-up to it. Add K2.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-22, 14:01

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
In Canada in the 1950s & 1960s, pediatricians & midwives gave free "D-drops" to mothers of babies born October-March. You can still buy them at grocery & drug stores and they are very cheap. As are pills & softgels for adults. I started taking D3 daily ~20 yrs ago (1-4g/day depending on the time of year and time outside), around the time I joined this forum. Added zinc during the winters when everyone around me is coughing & sneezing. Started K2 ~4 yrs ago. I rarely get sick and haven't caught Covid. If I do get a scratchy throat I might increase my doses and go to bed early & it is gone the next day.

Ancel Keys was probably rewarded by the fame & recognition for his anti-fat & anti-cholesterol research. Can you imagine if he were alive today? He would be a billionaire Big Pharma consultant.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Sep-22-22 at 14:10.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-22, 06:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Ancel Keys was probably rewarded by the fame & recognition for his anti-fat & anti-cholesterol research. Can you imagine if he were alive today? He would be a billionaire Big Pharma consultant.

Like such people need more incentives.

So often, bad comes not from capital letter Evil but this kind of heedless careerism. And they will never admit they were wrong, either.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-22, 11:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Here's a much shorter article to hand your doctor. Dr. Malcolm Kendrick ends it

. From the European Journal of Preventative Cardiology.

https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/adv...ext&login=false

And "Please now write out one hundred times:

Saturated fat does not cause cardiovascular disease".

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2022/09/22/saturated-fat/

Good sources. The discussion questions in Kendrick's blog regarding whether taking statins might compromise vitamin D's value in the body bears more research, as it goes to reason that those who were taking statins during pandemic were the most vulnerable. Was it because statins suppressed the body's ability to fully utilize vitamin D?