Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-22, 11:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'm not dismissing keto, it worked for me initially and limited regain to half of my goal weight loss.
It works for many on this forum, and is especially beneficial if a therapeutic level of ketones is needed for a health condition. But if someone is stalled and considering Ted Naiman's approach to semi-low carb, calories by weight is another way to explain it.
Look forward to hearing the interview with Rhonda Patrick and Dom.
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-22, 12:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet, I know you're not dismissing keto, I think you'll find the interview addresses a sound approach to options for keto ways of eating including the importance of calorie awareness. My gripe is with the depiction of some very unhealthy ways to approach keto with the unnecessary over-emphasis of fat. It's not representative. Much of this stems from those who latched onto the term "keto" strictly to market stuff that is clearly unhealthy. I'm encouraged by the research focused on helping people with autism and depression as well. Lots to celebrate, but the caution is to learn the approach that is right for you.

Like you, learning the effectiveness of the P:E approach due to protein leveraging was my light bulb moment. It enabled me to retain the best principles of keto while I consumed the amount of energy that was right for me. I remember when people feared protein due to the potential of gluconeogenesis and the silly statement that it would "kick them out of ketosis." I learned that increasing protein at the expense of energy was very beneficial. Thank goodness for recent clarifying research. That's the true power of learning and eating adaptation.
  #303   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-22, 07:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Thank goodness for recent clarifying research. That's the true power of learning and eating adaptation.

I agree. Janet's info has been invaluable for helping me fine tune my approach.
  #304   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 03:03

Dom D'Agastino talked about two interesting new insights to a ketogenic diet in the interview Rob posted. https://www.foundmyfitness.com/epis...nic-dagostino-2 About minute 16 - 32.

Well he said more than that 🙂but these two relate to the PE Diet and Marty's Optimising Nutrition. One was about the importance of fiber! Only in the past ten years has there been more understanding that whole food fibers in the gut are important for making BHB, necessary for the supporting the microbiome.

Second newly appreciated aspect is that the ketogenic diet can be low in certain micronutrients, he specifically noted selenium. Selenium is important for thyroid health. No coincidence when I first started following the PE diet with simple lists showing lots of seafood having a higher PE, and later ON specifically analysing my diet and noting it was low … that all my minor low thyroid symptoms improved.

Low Carb diets are often low in in certain vitamins, minerals…I already listed them in my success story. Limiting carbs to 20g total as I did for far too long is both low on vegetable fiber and some micronutrients.

Selenium is easily found in seafood, which is of course a great LC a food, but my DH does not like the smell, so I only ate it out of the house. On PE, I ate more canned fish, mackerel, sardines, cooked it outside, baked a big box of fish for whole week, etc. Other missing nutrients are from the limited vegetable intake. Also I was low in calcium, because of the limits on dairy.
It is really worth taking Marty Kendall"s free diet analysis, tracking only a week, to see what micronutrients you may be low on: https://app.nutrientoptimiser.com/optin1587482063307

One of the early Burn Fat, Not Sugar graphics, fiber and micronutrients all in one chart:

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-21-22 at 03:39.
  #305   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 07:05

BF:

Love this graphic, as it provides a simple, yet very healthy way to eat if followed. Protein and fiber favored over anything else, and it works and is satiating.

What's striking is to compare it with the graphic that Nina Teicholz posted this week regarding the food ranking system favored by the person in charge of the upcoming White House Conference on Nutrition:
https://twitter.com/bigfatsurprise/...tm_medium=email

How did we get to this disconnect???
  #306   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 07:31

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Love this graphic, as it provides a simple, yet very healthy way to eat if followed. Protein and fiber favored over anything else, and it works and is satiating.

What's striking is to compare it with the graphic that Nina Teicholz posted this week regarding the food ranking system favored by the person in charge of the upcoming White House Conference on Nutrition:
https://twitter.com/bigfatsurprise/...tm_medium=email

How did we get to this disconnect???

When I saw the graph Nina Teicholz posted I felt like I was living in an alternative universe at total disconnect from the person who made that graph. It is so absurd as to be laughable if it wasn't taken seriously by people in power.
  #307   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 07:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
When I saw the graph Nina Teicholz posted I felt like I was living in an alternative universe at total disconnect from the person who made that graph. It is so absurd as to be laughable if it wasn't taken seriously by people in power.

Exactly my reaction, and at first I thought I was having an out of body experience . . .
  #308   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 12:09

BF:

According to some discussion on Twitter, this was an attempt at artificial intelligence. And I don't think it worked.

They had created a set of their so-called healthy guidelines and this is what floated to the top!
  #309   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 12:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
According to some discussion on Twitter, this was an attempt at artificial intelligence. And I don't think it worked.

They had created a set of their so-called healthy guidelines and this is what floated to the top!

Funny. I worked extensively in AI, and one thing that's not mentioned frequently enough is that it requires humans to write the rule set. Self-learning machines are still very rudimentary when it comes to making decisions on new information.

Wasn't this called Compass from Tufts???
  #310   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-22, 06:52

BF:

Quote:
Funny. I worked extensively in AI, and one thing that's not mentioned frequently enough is that it requires humans to write the rule set. Self-learning machines are still very rudimentary when it comes to making decisions on new information.

Wasn't this called Compass from Tufts???

That sounds familiar, yes. Artificial Intelligence still requires intelligence
  #311   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-22, 07:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

https://t.co/17yj3vvmIZ

Looks like the algorithm was looking for volume/kcal, low fat (fat is the highest volume/kcal), and certain vitamins and minerals - looking like vit C was pretty high - and perhaps "Low Cholesterol" foods -

I wonder where Beef Liver would have ranked using this algorithm
  #312   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-22, 08:15
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Hi all,
I've been in breast cancer treatment for a year and am temporarily cancer free, but the treatments completely scrambled how my body processes food.
Before diagnosis, I ate to therapeutic keto levels when possible. Now, I have difficulty digesting fats, so I came to visit here.
Throughout treatment, I ate like a fiend daily to keep my body weight steady, mainly sugar and fiber. Those who've lived through chemo know how hard it is to eat during that phase, but I managed. What I'm on now will cause weight gain, so it's essential for me to find an eating regime that keeps me healthy but trim.
My current drugs are Letrozole and Kanjinti, with Prolia on the near horizon to prevent bone loss. My blood calcium is high, so I have to limit my dietary calcium. I'm fighting with my oncologist over taking more drugs to repair what the previous drugs have damaged. LOL, What a crazy domino effect these drugs cause. But death is worse, right?
I don't expect anybody here to have answers that apply to my situation, but I'll keep reading and logging my food.
  #313   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-22, 10:20

Glenda, glad to hear you are cancer-free for now. Ted Naiman's P:E Diet helped me both lose weight and improve nutrition. My success story here and on DietDoctor have good summaries of what changed from very low carb. But for more options and in depth information, Marty Kendall's https://optimisingnutrition.com/blog/ has the longer food lists you may need.
Marty also offers tons of "free stuff" in the top bar, including now the DDF app, free forever to help use your pre-meal blood glucose as a fuel gauge when to eat. You may have a medication schedule which demands more regular eating, but worth seeing your levels for a while. Marty worked with Dr Lawenda at an Integrative Cancer institute on the Cancer articles. The Cancer meal plans and recipes are in 3 levels..weight gain, loss and maintenance. I have been maintaining easily on 40% P and Fat, 20% carbs.
If you want to see some of the cancer recipes and can’t find it on the blog, send me a PM, I know some tricks to the search names.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/opt...ent/#more-20095
  #314   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-22, 06:13

Another good interview with Dr Ted Naiman. Interviewer is focused on The health business, but this hour and half interview is all about what Ted tells his clients…super helpful advice, practical tips, and a "What would Ted eat?" At the end. Time stamped index at this blog post:

How to Help Clients Optimize Fat Loss by focusing on “Satiety per Calorie” with Dr. Ted Naiman

https://highintensitybusiness.com/3...h-dr-ted-naiman
  #315   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 06:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Now, I have difficulty digesting fats,

MCT fats like coconut oil pass immediately to the liver for energy dispatch. Might bypass a roadblock?