Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 20:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default I finally have a reason to quit caffeine.

I had genetic testing done at 23andme.com and found I metabolize coffee slowly. That is rather hard on the heart, apparently. Anyway, I decided this was reason enough to finally give it up. I'm down to one cup a day in the AM. I use instant and it tastes like crap. I think I can probably give that up any time now.

I do have decaf throughout the day. I'll give that up next.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 21:43

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well good for you !! I never drank coffee, I am allergic. But I think it is really bad for most people. What is your DNA haplogroup???
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 21:45

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Last January, I gave up my tea, which is what replaced my coffee habit which had replaced my 7-shots/day espresso habit. By the end of a month, I remember waking up one day and feeling mentally THERE, immediately. it was really nice. My performance in all my morning activities (so far, that's been calc-based physics classes) improved, which astounded me. I also sleep better.

I hope that when you get to the stage of having given it up that you notice some really wonderful things, too.

Also, thanks for mentioning 23andme. I just had a MTHFR blood test (heterozygous for C677T mutation) and am really curious as to what other secrets my DNA might be hiding.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 21:53
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol
Well good for you !! I never drank coffee, I am allergic. But I think it is really bad for most people. What is your DNA haplogroup???

Oh hmmm... I'm not sure! I'll have to look into that.

I have a nasty homozygous gene for deep vein thrombosis. I need to avoid taking estrogen and be very careful about sitting too much. I'm kind of glad I got the test done, I was considering HRT.

Oddly enough they said I was at lower risk for Celiac disease, but Enterolab said I had one of the main celiac genes.

Quote:
I hope that when you get to the stage of having given it up that you notice some really wonderful things, too.

Me too! I've quit before, but I think I always replaced it with something like tea, which probably had caffeine too.

Oh, I downloaded the raw data from 23andMe and ran it through Prometease and found I have genes which mean I don't convert beta-carotene to retinol very well. I might be one that should take some cod liver oil.

I also found I had a number of genes associated with obesity. Oh, and a gene that causes me to product too much Sex hormone binding globulin and it also predisposes me to having Graves disease (which I had).

It isn't all bad! I have a homozygous gene for fast-twitch types of muscles. They said world class sprinters have that a lot. Hee hee... no sprinter, I. I also have genes for better than average episodic memory and intelligence. Oh yes, and a gene for a sweet tooth.

Wow! Such interesting stuff.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Jul-05-11 at 22:07.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 00:03

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have a nasty homozygous gene for deep vein thrombosis. I need to avoid taking estrogen and be very careful about sitting too much. I'm kind of glad I got the test done, I was considering HRT.

I have heterozygous (one gene) Factor V Leiden which is a genetic blood clotting disorder. Yours is a two gene disorder. Please do take it seriously and be careful! I have had several deep vein thrombosis' and a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my lung). I have spent much time in the hospital, have had surgery to get a vena cava filter, and am on warfarin for life. It has not been fun. Besides avoiding sitting too much and hormones, you need to be careful not to over exercise and cause muscle damage (think this is more of a factor with people that don't normally exercise) or to over-eat Vit K foods (EASY to do with eating healthy on Atkins!!!) unless you have a regular day to day intake (pretty even amounts).

Not trying to scare you AT ALL....some people with these genetic disorders NEVER have a problem/show symptoms. But being pro-active and aware can mean a WORLD of difference.

This is inherited and interestingly enough I didn't know who I'd inherited it from. I suspected from my mom's side since my dear grandfather had circulatory issues. It was confirmed after my mom tried to get a dialysis port in her arm that failed twice due to the blood clotting around the entry. She finally thought to tell her doc about my genetic disorder and got tested....and she tested positive. They were able to work around the problem. So back to some people never having a problem, but the need to be pro-active and aware.

I'm sorry this was so long. I just feel compelled to share my story when this comes up. These clotting disorders are nothing to mess around with and if I can save one life by sharing my story - even if 1,000 people are aggravated....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 09:12

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

WOW, I am thinking about getting that test. I have had the gene test at enterolab - two gluten intolerance genes & I have had my full maternal DNA done a Family Tree DNA.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 09:14
Experimenter

BF:

Oh wait... I am heterozygous, I think.
Quote:
rs6025 CT European: 4.67

T is the bad one right? The C is harmless?
Factor V is the last clotting factor in the pathway before the activation step that turns prothrombin into thrombin. Clotting is usually kept from spiraling out of control by a feedback loop, similar to the way a thermostat operates. Once enough thrombin has been activated, it binds to a protein called "protein C." Protein C then inactivates factor V, thus cutting off activation of prothrombin into thrombin.

The SNP in the F5 gene causes a change in the protein sequence of factor V that prevents protein C from inactivating it. Since this version of factor V can still participate in the activation of thrombin, a situation results in which thrombin can be turned on but cannot be turned off. Once the clotting cascade is set off (whether appropriately or not), the riskier version of the SNP makes it more difficult to shut it off.

The riskiness of the T version of this SNP is further increased for women who also take hormonal birth control.

(The riskier version of this gene is also sometimes called Factor V Leiden, after the city in the Netherlands where this SNP and its effects on factor V's role in clotting were first discovered.)

===============================

i3002432 GG

Prothrombin, which is activated to become thrombin, is also referred to as "factor II." The SNP in this gene does not cause a change in the protein's composition, but instead increases the levels of prothrombin that are made in the bloodstream. It is not yet fully understood how increased levels of prothrombin acts as a risk factor for VTE, but some studies have indicated that extra prothrombin may interfere with the body’s natural ability to dissolve clots.

Okay, but I don't have the A version.

Okay, I see that SNPopedia has a pretty good description. i3002432 is also called rs1799963.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jul-06-11 at 09:26.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 09:29
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol

My maternal haplogroup is T2b. What's yours?

Quote:
Haplogroup T originated about 45,000 years ago in the Near East, as modern humans first expanded out of eastern Africa. Its present-day geographic distribution is strongly influenced by multiple migrations out of the Near East into Europe, India and eastern Africa after about 15,000 years ago. T2 is widespread in northern Africa and Europe.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 16:01

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing all that, Nancy and Freckles.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 21:22
Experimenter

BF:

Okay, been 3 days or so without any caffeine at all! Yay! I'm still drinking decaf coffee but hopefully I'll let that go as soon as my current can is finished. I noticed I'm sleeping a bit better, but it might be also because of a change in my thyroid meds too.

I really wanted a diet coke tonight, but didn't want to have the caffeine. I also have been wanting some iced tea, but once again the caffeine is no good for me!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 21:56

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I was able to give up caffeine easily when I started drinking kefir. No clue how that worked but I have been off coffee for months.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 22:25

Quote:
...I also have been wanting some iced tea, but once again the caffeine is no good for me!

Peppermint makes a good iced tea, imo. And you could always use a decaf English breakfast or other decaf black tea, and add some lemon or whatever.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 00:06

BF:

Quote:
I really wanted a diet coke tonight, but didn't want to have the caffeine.

CONGRATS on your caffeine free days!!! I know from experience that it's a HUGE accomplishment! I quit caffeine when I went lc the first time and it was a week or more of H#$L. Now when I want a soda I drink caffeine free diet coke or Diet Rite (which is caffeine free and made with Splenda). No need to go without soda...though going without would be even better caffeine or not....
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 08:19
Experimenter

BF:

I've been drinking those "fruit water" things which are caffeine free and carbonated. For some reason caffeine free diet coke just tastes weird. It is a bit odd.

God, I couldn't go cold turkey on caffeine... I think that would have killed me! I just cut down gradually over months.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 15:28

BF:

Quote:
God, I couldn't go cold turkey on caffeine... I think that would have killed me! I just cut down gradually over months.

It DID feel like I was dying!!! It was a horrible week spent mostly in bed. Cutting back like you did would not have worked for me, unfortunately, so I'm even more impressed.