Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1051   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 12:51
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Got around the obstacles in my mind and started combining LCHF+IF three days ago. Thing is, I thought since I'm fat adapted I shouldn't feel weak, but I do. Not when I'm doing my morning walk or the pool exercises, but just walking around. 2-hours postprandial this morning BG=97.
Teaser?
Sponsored Links
  #1052   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 18:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

IF seems to be another dimension than LCHF; that was my experience.
  #1053   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 10:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Got around the obstacles in my mind and started combining LCHF+IF three days ago. Thing is, I thought since I'm fat adapted I shouldn't feel weak, but I do. Not when I'm doing my morning walk or the pool exercises, but just walking around. 2-hours postprandial this morning BG=97.
Teaser?

Maybe it depends on the individual, not that there's a lot of information in that statement. More pointing out that there's a lot of information out there that we don't have access to.

I do know--about 15 pounds heavier than I am now, I enjoyed fasting a lot more. The leaner I am, the worse I tolerate it. When it comes to diet, it seems that just chasing insulin--the lower the insulin, the lower my body fat settles at, comfortable, without making me lethargic or prone to binges or other symptoms maybe that I'm forcing my body below its natural settling point.

Fasting is as low as you can get your insulin--but on the other side, there have to be limits to this thing, or fasted animals would just emaciate and never bother to eat, since the longer they fasted the lower their insulin would get and the less hungry they'd be.

Fasting was fun sometimes, but for me, going to a permanently higher fat ratio ketogenic diet has been more effective. Low insulin plus the hormonal effects of eating that low insulin food seems to work better.

I find I'm a little lazy on my day off--but in the summer, if I go for a boat ride, or if I go to a friend's house, or family is over, something stimulating, my energy's up. I just need something going on, work is fairly hectic and active, so I have lots of energy there.
  #1054   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 14:17

BF:

Cant remember where I saw the graph on insulin levels..... it spikes, then it drops then it plateaus. So there is a minimum level to insulin.

From other sources, it has other jobs; at the very least it still needs to shuttle blood glucose into cells from gluconeogenesis.
  #1055   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 07:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Complete Book of Fasting is only $3.15 on Kindle today. Unsure this is a daily deal or what?
Our library has it, so didn't buy it before now, but can not pass up a bargain

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gui...k/dp/B01MF8SC2X
  #1056   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 07:38
Doing My Best

I just found The Complete Book of Fasting on Scribd, so I won't have to buy it. The reviews are good.

So many of us are on fixed incomes and need to save our pennies.
I listen to audio books every day and sometimes the library doesn't have what I want to download to my phone. I've found another resource. It's a paid resource, but fully worth it for me.

Quote:
A Scribd membership is your ticket to a world of books. For $8.99 USD per month, you'll get access to our library of bestsellers, award winners, obscure indie titles, and reader favorites. We have ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines on Scribd.

https://support.scribd.com/hc/en-us...bd-s-Membership
I pay a yearly subscription rate. Oh, and there's also sheet music on Scribd. You can use it on the cloud and download to computers and phones.
  #1057   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I just found The Complete Book of Fasting on Scribd, so I won't have to buy it. The reviews are good.

So many of us are on fixed incomes and need to save our pennies.
I listen to audio books every day and sometimes the library doesn't have what I want to download to my phone. I've found another resource. It's a paid resource, but fully worth it for me.

I pay a yearly subscription rate. Oh, and there's also sheet music on Scribd. You can use it on the cloud and download to computers and phones.

THanks for mentioning this. My boys are on limited income too and would love this. As well as me.
  #1058   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 21:46

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

It’s 11.45 on Amazon now. 😞 Paperback is almost $19. My birthday is this weekend, so I’m thinking I’ll gift myself with better health and buy this book.

I’ve been doing 20/4 eating windows and sometimes 23/1. I do that during the week because it fits nicely into my schedule. If I have a lunch event, I do two meals that day, but that’s not common. On the weekends, I eat twice a day because my family is home and we enjoy eating together at the table.

My question is whether maybe I’m eating too many carbs when I do eat my meal. I’m not inhaling my food and there’s no feeding frenzy, but maybe I’m allowing myself more carbs because I feel that I can? Last night, I made a sweet potato salad with no added sugar, but I ate a lot of it. Would measuring my blood sugar after my meal be useful in determining whether I’m going over MY limit? I’m scared of needles, but I’m curious enough to try, if you all think it would be helpful. I honestly feel like IF has added that shot of espresso to my diet that has really jumpstarted my weight loss. I love it! My energy is through the roof and I won’t quit, but I’m wondering if I can maximize the health benefits by measuring glucose. Thoughts?
  #1059   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 05:00

As Dr Fung said when asked to write book, how can you make a whole book out of "Don’t Eat"? I forgot the book has recipes and JM's failed fasting experiments. You can do fine by reading the IDM blog for the science, the practical instructions in Files at the Obesity Code FB Page, and following the weekly moderator led fasts there.

I don’t know if measuring glucose would help. How much can you change the foods you can reasonably afford living in Japan? There are Keto-vegetarian advocates and cookbooks, but if you find your BG shoots up with sweet potato salad, what do you eat instead? Carnivore diet is probably not an option. If you are feeling great adding days of Fasting and giving yourself more carbs when you do eat, this may be a good answer to better health and weight loss for you, in the context of affordable and commonly available foods in Japan. Although I wouldn’t call a glucose meter a "needle" you may have to use it a lot, before and a couple of times after meals to get useful information. Does not seem you would be happy about that I know you are not vegetarian, but some of the Keto-Veg recipes may give you ideas for lower carb affordable meals. Again that moderator on the Obesity Code FB page has a links to good information on this topic in Files. (she reminds of someone )

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-08-18 at 06:38.
  #1060   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 08:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
Would measuring my blood sugar after my meal be useful in determining whether I’m going over MY limit? I’m scared of needles, but I’m curious enough to try, if you all think it would be helpful. I honestly feel like IF has added that shot of espresso to my diet that has really jumpstarted my weight loss. I love it! My energy is through the roof and I won’t quit, but I’m wondering if I can maximize the health benefits by measuring glucose. Thoughts?

It was my getting a free meter and measuring he & I's glucose readings after meals that opened his eyes to what the processed food he was eating was doing to him.

You don't have to do it all the time, just see how certain repeated meals are doing to your blood sugar. I use the heel of my hand and barely feel it, and have since learned how certain meals make me feel, and how that reflects my blood sugar.
  #1061   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 10:17

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thank you for the replies! Food prices here can be outrageous if I try to buy things that I would have in America, such as peanut butter, things not really part of the Japanese diet. Mexican taco kits are now available in some stores...for about $10. I used t buy the exact same kit in America for $2. But just like America, fresh meat and vegetables are very affordable if you know where to shop. I can buy meat for about $2 for 100 grams most of the time, except for beautiful cuts of beef, which are for holidays only. Kobe beef is one example. I buy a head of broccoli for $2, but a literal handful of green beans might be $4. So I don’t buy them. I love them, but they aren’t cost effective at all. My freezer and refrigerator are stuffed with freah vegetables and meat that I’ve found on sale and frozen. People generally shop daily here and can buy only things that are in season. So,in some ways, I find it easier to eat healthy here. But...it’s sweet potato season here and after that, lll have to wait a whole year to have it again. In July, it’s peaches. Now apples are no long several dollars each. I can buy one enormous apple for $1.50, but only in the fall. Things are almost ONLY sold in season and very little is imported. Vegetables from China are cheaper, but everyone I know avoids them, so they’re decreasing. Broccoli is imported from America and bananas from a few countries. Otherwise, all fresh and almost no frozen or canned vegetables available. Only corn and sometimes green beans can be bought frozen. 😆 So, being middle class, I have no reason to choose sweet potato salad over a chicken thigh or a couple of eggs...other than maybe that I don’t understand the impact on my blood sugar? I feel that since it’s natural, it’s ok, especially since I fasted. But I’m thinking maybe I’m wrong and need evidence. I was watching Dr. Westman talking about his infamous page 4 diet and I’m pretty sure sweet potatoes wouldn’t make the list for phase 1. 😆 But I fasted...so... 😆 But if I had clear evidence, maybe that would be the thing to keep me looking at the big picture. This would be especially true for how common meals impact my blood sugar, like WereBear mentioned.

A blog post by Amy Berger makes me rethink everything. In that article, she said that someone can have good fasting blood sugar but high insulin or they can have a little higher fasting glucose but lower insulin. She said that fasting blood sugars tend to be fine because the body can produce tons of insulin to keep it down...until it can’t anymore. Then the glucose starts rising because of the insulin resistance. But would that only apply to fasting glucose levels? That’s all I remember her mentioning. I would think after meals would be different.
  #1062   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 14:46

so interesting about the prices in Japan, I had heard beef was expensive and other meats not much better, but fish a good price. So have the beef, chicken and eggs whatever, and
you're right, no sweet potatoes on "Page 4" https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf
Amy wrote a post about insulin at KetoApp: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/h...abolic-problems
I would think after meals would take more insulin too to bring glucose down.
  #1063   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 16:31
Doing My Best

https://mailchi.mp/3c29b36bf259/the...41?e=22ebc11183

Something I never expected in my lifetime.

#1064   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-18, 16:55

Dr. Fung quoted in PopSugar, the ultimate in scientific journals.
If You Prefer an Early Dinner, This Intermittent Fasting Method Will Be Easy For You
https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Wh...asting-45446501
  #1065   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-18, 05:47

And something I never expected to see!
Global Fasting Week
On-line summit, Free to sign up, Dr Fung is one of the experts.
Starts tomorrow!
https://fastingtalks.com/global-fas...BW7aY51rPSLItus

Edit later: Ah-Ha! Intro email from the LNutra company offering 10% off their/ Longo's Pro-Lon product. No thanks, but I’ll watch the talks.

The Obesity Code FB page does a "Facelift Friday"...some are amazing.
Kristie Sullivan's FB page also does one, Keto without Fasting just as good.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Nov-11-18 at 10:32.