Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 05:41

Plan: Don't know yet
Stats: 194/194/176
BF:24,Tanita says ;-)
Progress: 0%
Angry Need HELP! Cholesterol SKYhigh!

Just had my tests done after 8 months of lowcarbing.
(lost 15 kg in this period of time, weight is now 78 kg)
I'm 25 years old, male and 178cm tall.

total Cholesterol went up from 233 to 303
ldl went up to 203
hdl went up from 44 to 48
triglyc. are OK

My plan is similar to "life without bread", I eat abot 70g of carbs a day.
I eat lots of MUFA and O3-PUFA, nuts, eggs, fish and starch-free vegetables. Drink a little wine sometimes.

My doc wants me to eat lowfat...

What shell I do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 07:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Hello, I'm also a fan of Life Without Bread. I would suggest you read his more recent book, Kranker Magen, Kranker Darm. It was printed in 1995, and goes into more detail of his experiences with the diet. Perhaps that will help you decide.

Es wuerde nur auf Deutsch verlegt, glaube ich. Man kann es entweder online lesen oder von Amazon.de kaufen.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 07:19

I will take a look at the book.

But I'm really unhappy about my results...
It would be nice if someone could tell me why some people react so different on lowcarbing than others.

What did I do wrong???
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 04:30
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I don't think you did anything wrong. Unfortunately something similar happened to me. 10 months of low carbing, cholesterol went up, LDL went up, HDL stayed the same (fairly low). Plus I'm really working out hard, which doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm getting retested in 3 months and if it my lipids still look like this, I'll be taking more of the statin drug I'm already on.

I'd suggest a retest for you, too, in a few months. I think some people just can't control their cholesterol levels by what they eat, and need medication.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 06:32

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I had same results and had to resort to supplements to get
my cholesterol down.Don't take statins!They are dangerous
and expensive.I used flaxseed oil pills and pantethine
available at www.swansonvitamins.com to get my cholesterol
down from 308 to 184(took 3 months).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 07:52

I work out too, and it doesn't seem to help either.

I changed my plan now to a very high protein, moderate carb, low fat, low caloric approach. 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat, 1800 calories.

Someone told me that the really evil thing is the arachnidoneacid (think it's called like that), wich comes in red meat, egg-yolks, and seafood (wich I really like ).
I reduced this to a minimum know and hope that it will help.

By the way I don't believe that statines are that evil. I did the research by my own and think most of the con-propaganda is really crap. German Krankenversicherung (medical insurance?) covers it completely, too.

What I'm really concerned about is that this kind of diet (wich I really liked) changed my cholesterollevels in this terrible way. It really makes me rethink the whole lowcarb-lowfat-"war". Maybe the mainstream-advisors are not so wrong at all...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:20
Kid R

Wuchtamsel, I don't think this WOE affects everyone the same way. As you say, some people are more sensitive to the arach. acids than others. Maybe if you just cut those out, you'll have different results. That's my plan, anyway, along with taking garlic supplements and fish oil.

Then if necessary the doctor will raise my dose of statins. I agree with you, the vast majority of evidence shows the drugs now on the market are safe and helpful, and I wouldn't hesitate to take them if necessary.

And BTW, I wouldn't go low fat if I were you. I'd just cut out SATURATED fat, while eating moderate amounts of poly and monounsaturated fats. They actually help lower LDL cholesterol.

HTH
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/150/145 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Strange that it works for some and not others. I recently had blood tests after 3 months on Atkins and total cholesterol though not good was down about 15%, HDL was up 30%, now at 64 and triglycerides down 60% and now under 100 as they should be.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:29

Rose Tattoo, I go along with you, that the saturated fats are the main cause of evil... but I already ate very very few of them.
My main fat-source was rapeseed-oil, with its unique composition of monounsaturated and omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty-acids.

It's really strange that it seems to work well for some and not for others...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:55
Kid R

Well, it may be that you have a genetic tendency toward higher cholesterol, and that this WOE is kicking it off. I know I've inherited my high cholesterol. The only thing that helped before the meds was going on a vegetarian diet--but that raised my triglycerides. I'm not sure that people with genetic high cholesterol can do anything to lower it substantially other than go on meds.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Not sure I see the logic in blaming "evil" saturated fats for bad cholesterol numbers when you allege that you don't eat much of it in the first place. Seems to me you should then be looking at the unsaturated fats as potentially your problem since that seems to be what your taking in all the time.

If you recall from Life Without Bread, which you profess to follow, Dr. Lutz advocates basic meats, and fats from meats, butter, etc, not large amounts of polyunsaturated fats.

But certainly one has to follow the direction one feels the most comfortable with... In my case I avoid any vegetables fats/oils as best I can, and stick with meats, butter, etc. But, again, it all comes down to our personal research, and what we feel confident in.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 06:26

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Exclamation statin drugs

Statins can cause severe liver damage.
That is why most reputable doctors do liver tests every 3 months for patients who are on statins.
There are many natural supplements that work better than statins and have
no risk associated with them.
For those who are absolutely hung up on doctors and prescriptions,Zetia is
not a statin and seems to work well without side effects.It will cost about
70 US dollars per month to take Zetia.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:07

Statins can cause severe liver damage.

Yes. And putting hot screwdrivers in the ears can cause brain damage...
The main problem with statins is Rhabdomyolyse (don't know how it is called in English).
Regular Kretinkinase - (same as above) tests help to prevent that.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:40
Kid R

Yes, while people taking statins do need to be monitored initially for muscle damage, that condition occurs very rarely. Also, after six-nine months of monitoring, the testing can be more sporadic, since if trouble is going to occur, it usually happens at the start of taking statins.

Sure, we might find out in five or ten years that there are long term effects from these drugs, just as we've now discovered about, say, the high dose birth control pills that were commonly prescribed in the '60's. But right now, statins are considered the gold standard for lowering cholesterol if it can't be done through diet or exercise alone. They also appear to work in helping people avoid the cognitive decline that often accompanies old age. I've seen my grandmother, mother, and aunts deteriorate dreadfully from strokes and Alzheimer's caused by high cholesterol. I think I'll take my chances with the statins. I only wish I'd started earlier.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 08:10

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I use Flax oil and Fish oil and Guggal
I did read some research in Atkins about a non dangerous "fluffy" cholesterol and another second type of cholesterol test to see if your cholesterol was this type.
I think it was in the Atkins for life book.
Jag