Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 09:42

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default its time for me to start spending time here.

Ive got 3 cigarettes left. Im going to sit here and smoke them. Then im going inside. Then im going to put on some nice angry Wagner and get on my treadmill. Then im going to feed the cats. Then im going to debox some toys. Then im going to take my medication. Then im going to play some video games. Then im going to go to bed. Then, when i get up, im going to clean out the car, but, im not going to get into it, go to the store for coffee and MORE CIGARETTES, and take my usual daily drive, im just going to clean it. Then im going to GO BACK INSIDE, and im getting back on the treadmill. Then im going to eat my usual very large bacon and egg breakfast, drink lots of fluids, and do my best to quiet the voices in my head that are telling me to smoke a cigarette. I dont know how this is going to work out.

Im a two pack a day smoker. I know that cold turkey is really the only way it works. I hate chewing gum. Since going lc, i really dont eat for pleasure or distraction, the only things i can think of to substitute for smoking are
1) exercise, which for me is walking
2) chores/cleaning, which i actually like

Help me grow my list? I don't want to smoke anymore, but the need to quit hasn't led me to any sudden blinding realizations like my need to lose weight has. I also have attention span problems and impulse control problems both stemming from bipolar disorder and i really need a PLAN. I had a plan with lc, i read my book twice, i rebooted my brain, hell, i didnt even clear my closets of what junk food there was, i just stopped eating it.

Any insights? I am the student. Is there anything i can do to avoid gaining? Or is that a foregone conclusion that i should just stop whining, put on big girl panties, and deal with. Any criticism is welcome, i promise to take it in stride. One thing im going to do is come back here and read through the rest of this particular forum, any good thread recommendations? On any aspect of quitting smoking, im not picky, really!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 15:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always find playing a good video game is excellent for keeping the hands busy and the mind occupied.

When I quit smoking I knew if I could get through the first 3 days that I'd be past the physical addition, everything past that is psychological. The first 3 were the worst, by far. After that every day got easier.

If do you do slip up, just throw the smokes out and start over. Don't wait to finish the pack.

Here's another thought that helped me to quit. Like you, I never had any strong impulse to quit, just nagging little impulses. I thought about what would be a strong impulse... cancer, heart disease, emphysema...? I realized I'd never have a truly strong impulse to quit until it was far too late. That became my impulse.

Don't use weight loss or fear of weight gain to stop you from quitting. Worry about it later, but don't use quitting as an excuse to get sloppy in your eating either -- that won't make quitting easier.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 03:16

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Here's another thought that helped me to quit. Like you, I never had any strong impulse to quit, just nagging little impulses. I thought about what would be a strong impulse... cancer, heart disease, emphysema...? I realized I'd never have a truly strong impulse to quit until it was far too late. That became my impulse.

THAT...is an EXCELLENT...POINT.