Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 06:54
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default Q. about arachidonic acids

I think I'm sensitive to AA and am trying to cut it out as much as possible. Do grass-fed cows (beef) contain this substance, or is it only grain-fed cows (beef)? Also, what about chicken? I know the part about avoiding egg yolks.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 07:38

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

RoseTattoo: Hello . According to PP, "AA is found in all meats, especially red meats and organ meats, and in egg yolks." Also, "The quantities are highter in red meat because red meat has more fat, which, at least in today's domestic feedlot animals, contains high levels of AA...The good news is that range-fed catttle and wild game have much less fat to begin with, and what fat they have contains little AA." They also include a way of marinating steaks and roasts - Trim all visible fat, place in a large resealable plastic bag along with a mixture of 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of olive oril or light seasame oil (any oil as long as it doesn't contain ALA). Allow meat to marinate in refrigerator for a full 24 hrs, flipping the bag and contents over a couple times. Take meat out, drain for an hour or so, discard marinated, rub beef w/ spices to taste then grill. There's an explanation of why this works, but I'm running late for work so must go. HTH and sorry I'm in such a hurry this morning!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 09:45
Kid R

Thanks, Shadow. You're always so helpful!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:50

BF:

You're welcome. After all, you've helped me too ! BTW, if you want the reasoning on how the marinade works, I'll be more than happy to let you know tomorrow when I have time (and the book) to post again. Have a great low-carb day
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:50
Kid R

Thanks again, Shadow. Actually I have the book, and have just looked at that section. The reasoning seems fine to me. And with a little research, I answered my own question about chicken--free range chickens are best.

Now if I could just get my own personal biochemist, so I could finally figure out what to do about soy.... (One source says soy protein powder is ok, since the phytoestrogens have been removed; another source says avoid it completely; a third source says...well, you catch the drift!)

And you have a wonderful low-carb day, too!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:59

BF:

Well, you wouldn't want to have ALL the answers, would you (lol)? Whatever would you do with your mind if you weren't researching and finding out answers? This way you're guaranteed to learn something new every day!!! (The smilies don't appear to be working and I can't get this to preview - hopefully I don't have them imbedded everywhere!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:41

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

RoseTattoo,

A word of caution about free-range chicken. Out here in No. Cal., the ranch that produces so-called free-range chicken (under the Rocky Range label) feeds their chicken corn and soy pellets. Not exactly what the birds were designed to eat (grass, weeds, bugs, and a little bit of grain). They also don't get any exercise; they just hang around the food bin in a big barn.

Until a Marin county poultry rancher brings his pasture-raised chickens to market in SF in the fall, I'm not paying extra for chickens with a lot of soy and extra omega-6 fats in them.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:51
Kid R

Arrghhh! So where can you buy good free-range chicken?

(This has been a bad day for finding things out about food. Egg yolks and red meat=AA. Tuna=mercury. Walnuts=too much polyunsaturated fats. Almonds=too much omega 6. Soy=phytogestrogens. Peanut butter= too delicious, will need to be physically restrained from eating whole jar in one sitting. Is my choice now between eating my dog and going back to my Twinkie diet? )

But seriously, thanks for the info, Acohn. And Shadow, given today's confusing discoveries, I WOULD like my own personal biochemist.

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Fri, Jul-25-03 at 15:53.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:03

BF:

RoseTattoo - perhaps that's why a variety is encouraged rather than eating the same things every day (as I tend to do) ! I'm not sure there is - especially these days - a "perfect" food. I think if you had your own biochemist, you'd be unable to ever eat again! And, I'm pretty sure your dog eats food with grains in it, so I think it's out of the question too . I totally relate on the peanut butter - it was my downfall this weekend - yet again... Thankfully I didn't have a full jar - otherwise it would have been disastrous! As for the almonds, just make sure you get enough omega 3's and the omega 6's will be fine. For the walnuts - pretty much every food including veggies, fruits, nuts, etc have some degree of poly's in them. The polys that are killer are the ones that are partially hydrogenated. I don't think the natural polys that come in food are to be too concerned over. I read somewhere (but don't remember where or even if it's accurate) that canned tuna is less contaminated w/ mercury than fresh tuna. Hopefully you will soon be able to actually enjoy the foods you're eating instead of analyzing them at each meal (which I've been known to do too) !
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 14:38
Kid R

Thanks once again, Shadow. I need to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb...oh, wait, that was Dr. Strangelove. But you're right, I need to relax about all of this. There's no way to Do It All Right.

Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your peanut butter. My 7 year old is allergic to it (and tree nuts, as well), so I have to eat mine out in the garage. That does tend to limit--or at least delay--my consumption somewhat, as it's a detached garage.

Right now I am savoring a piece of low carb bread with lots of butter. Tomorrow I'll probably find out that it's a lethal combination--but right now, it tastes great.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:22

BF:

RoseTattoo - you crack me up ! Now there's an idea for the peanut butter - but I don't have a garage. Think that's a good enough reason to build one?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:50

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default shadow and rosetattoo

hello,

you two are a wealth of info! so, what do you know about sardines. i read not to eat canned fishes?? but really like sardines and it's a good way for me to get calcium because i dont eat dairy. i wonder if the skin is bad? anyway, hate to do this to you but peanut butter has those awful aflotoxins but if you're ok with it. also, i always feel different eating eggs or read meat. i'm sort of ok with buffalo. but when you say you are sensitive to it...what do you mean? i ate beef liver today because i am iron difficient. felt funny but haven't had it for about 25 yrs so maybe that's why. just not a meat eater. well, sorry to barge in on your little conversation!! congrats on your successes! KAY
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:26
Kid R

Kay, don't apologize for entering into this conversation--it's for everyone! I'm just a blabbermouth, as Shadow knows , so I'll keep on posting until someone stops me. Anyway, I think sardines are perfectly fine--in moderation. Jane Brody had a terrific article in Tuesday's New York Times about the mercury content in fish, and I'll look it up later on today and post the results. I think unless you're pregnant, it's ok to eat even the mercury containing fish once or twice a week--but I'll check and make sure.

As for the peanut butter, which is my very favorite food in the world, I'm aware of the aflatoxins--but I do try to limit my consumption of it, as much as it pains me to do so.

You asked about my reaction to AA: I have some eczema and other problems related to dry skin, which the Eades discuss as an effect of AA sensitivity, and since I don't particularly care for red meat anyway, it's no sacrifice to limit my consumption of it.

Please continue to post and join in here.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:39

BF:

Kay - Hello ! Glad you joined us! Please continue keeping us company - RoseTattoo and I do love to chat!

Well, I don't know anything about aflatoxins, but... like RoseTattoo, I limit my consumption. Once a week - that's it. I may eat too much at that one sitting, but it's still far better for me (I eat all natural - only ingredient is peanuts) than the old standard kind I ate w/ added sugars and trans fats. As there is no perfect food, I'll let PNB be my vice for now .

As to sardines, the Eadeses highly recommend them - the only caveat being that they be canned in their own oils, olive oil or spring water. As to the mercury - in PPLP, they say "the toxins tends to concentrate in the larger fish...Sardines are a much better choice because they are small and low on the food chain, so they haven't had time to accumulate many toxins...The best sardines to get are also the most difficult to find - the ones packed in sardine oil" (pg 75).

RoseTattoo - I look forward to the article! I assume if you think it's a good article, the woman has verification for the facts she presents .

Have a great PP day!!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 07:43

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the info. Wonder where you get sardines in own oil. never seen them. i'm in ny, so will look in the times forthe article. i'm a salmon freak...at least 4-5 X a week but use "wild" instead a farmed. (too much, i'm sure!) and rose tattoo...it makes my skin lovely!! i am 36 and my wrinkles went away with salmon and flax oil and hemp oil...who knew?? well, i will continue to eavesdrop!!
have a good one! kay