Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 17:30

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 230/225/210
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Any vitamins prevent weight loss?

Are there any vitamins that prevent weight loss when on a low carb diet? I am on week 5 and I am in a major stall.... getting discouraged...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 17:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

cydspal, there are many things that could be effecting the rate of your fat loss. Without further information it is next to impossible to say just what. Some things to look for:
  • Are you eating enough?
  • Are you drinking enough water?
  • Are you eating any LC "fake" foods like bars, mixes or candies?
  • Are you on any medications that could hinder fat loss?
  • Are you taking Birth Control Pills?
  • Are there any foods that you may be allergic to?
  • Do you have a history of yo-yo dieting?

Starting up a journal here on the site where we could come visit and see just what you've been eating would make it possible to better offer advice. You could also try searching through the "Tips /Stalls" forum to see how others have handled such situations.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 04:53

BF:

Thanks for your response!

I eat a solid 3 times a day: eggs, cheese and bacon and water for breakfast.

Ceasar salad with chicken or fish at lunch and a meat and veggie at night. Pretty solid on this format.

I have been eating the carblite bars (1/2 bar to help a sweet tooth).

I drink excessive water, water water, well over 100 oz a day!

I have stopped taking a calcium blocker, even though the Aitkins book did not say it would be a problem, I wanted to see if I could lower my BP through the diet.

No alergic food reactions, and no history of Yo-Yo dieting, I am a 40 year old male trying to lose 30 pounds, I have stalled at 10 lbs which I loss within the first 2 weeks!

Any feedback on vitamins? I take a one a day, fiber, vit. C.

thanks!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 06:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by cydspal
No alergic food reactions, and no history of Yo-Yo dieting, I am a 40 year old male trying to lose 30 pounds, I have stalled at 10 lbs which I loss within the first 2 weeks!

Any feedback on vitamins? I take a one a day, fiber, vit. C.

Having more info I'm now more inclined to think one of two things:

A) you're not eating enough to sustain fat loss
B) those bars are messing with you.

Men typically have an easier time with fat loss - they have less 'trigger' foods that can stall them, they are not as much at the mercy of hormones as women and they have more lean muscle mass (which burns body fat).

Have you been tracking calories? It's important that you eat enough in order for your body to be able to let go of fat and water. Under eating is the most common staller for newbies to LCing (letting go of that 'less is better' low fat / restricted mentality is tough). Here is a post on the subject , with imbedded links to discussions relating to certain topics that should help explain this in more detail.

You are drinking enough, you don't have a history of yo-yoing and you're male - 3 things in your favour (in a big way).

I would nix the carbolite treats for a while and look to increasing calories. You can use www.fitday.com to track food/protein/fats - many of us here use this to ensure we are eating enough (ironic, but true!)

The vitamins don't jump out at me as a problem - not saying they couldn't be. But carbolite bars and eating too little do, as I said, they are high up there on the list of "possible problems". If you are using a chewable vitamin, some are sweetened with a form of sugar (look for ingredients that end in "ose"). If it's just a one a day swallow and be done with it - doubtful it's the culprit.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 10:50

BF:

Thanks so much for your help!! I will keep trying!!