Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 08:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Me a carb addict? No!! Yup and I'm back

I have not consistently done LC for more than 2 years. Fell off the bandwagon when I left my prior job after going through hell. Did okay with my weight and stayed LC most of the time, but had vacations on the weekends. Now my weight is nearly back up to where I started before and I'm just tired of having food rule my world.

If you know being LC is the best for your body and health in terms of blood sugar control and weight control, why do I feel so sad about giving up carbs? Is it just the carb addiction?

Day 2 goal 20 - 30 grams
Day 1 total carbs 32 grams
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 13:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Welcome back.

It IS sad. You have to give up something that you probably grew up with, that you have lots of emotional ties to, and adopt a lifestyle that makes you different from everyone around you. Plus, you're giving up convenience. No more impulse purchases or snacks.

That was the emotional side. There's a physical side, too. You have to be willing the give up the buzz effect of sugar, starch and gluten. I didn't feel withdrawals because I weaned myself down, plus I felt so awful, it was worth the effort to stick it out.

But something that helped me was that I was determined to enjoy my food. To this day, I remember that first taste of real butter and real scrambled eggs again. You have to take that leap of faith that when you correct the nutrition, you'll feel so much better physically and emotionally that the cheats generally aren't worth it.

Good luck; keep us posted!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 08:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
If you know being LC is the best for your body and health in terms of blood sugar control and weight control, why do I feel so sad about giving up carbs? Is it just the carb addiction?

It is the carb addiction. But that is not a simple thing.

People get addiction to anything which makes them feel good. Which can be good or bad for us. The key to getting over my own eating disorder was realizing I have better ways of feeling good, and learning to chose those instead of bad food.

I could choose good food, a lovely walk, a talk with a friend, or even squarely facing my feelings instead of eating them
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-20, 14:10

Plan: Less than 30g carbs
Stats: 349/286.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have fallen off the wagon and been kicked by the horses more times than I can remember now.

I struggle every time to get back on and have now named the first week of low carb as the 'grieving week.' I'm grieving for the carbs and junk food I can't eat, even though I know they really aren't good for me.

My husband lives on junk food, but can still drop weight just by cutting out one of his numerous snacks. I struggle to lose even though I'm doing intermittent fasting in ketosis! Eating even moderate carb puts weight on me.

So yes, i feel your pain and sadness. I'm trying to accept that carbs are poison to me and I should avoid them forever but it's hard. Wishing you luck. X
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-20, 14:17

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

Kindof my story too. I relapse. And then I hate myself. The yoyo goes ever up. This time I'm going to try and address anxiety as a cryptic issue that makes me eat for eating's sake. Like I'll eat and not even know that I'm eating. Or the chewing and swallowing sensation helps me concentrate and problem solve something for work, but weirdly my brain is off somewhere and I don't even realize the buttload of crap I'm eating!! I'm really really weird.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-20, 14:51

BF:

[QUOTE=Kristine]

That was the emotional side. There's a physical side, too. You have to be willing the give up the buzz effect of sugar, starch and gluten. I didn't feel withdrawals because I weaned myself down, plus I felt so awful, it was worth the effort to stick it out.

Kristine,
you are so right... I've just gotten my head wrapped around the fact that food does give me a buzz. It will be a work in progress
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-20, 14:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_tara
Kindof my story too. I relapse. And then I hate myself. The yoyo goes ever up. This time I'm going to try and address anxiety as a cryptic issue that makes me eat for eating's sake. Like I'll eat and not even know that I'm eating. Or the chewing and swallowing sensation helps me concentrate and problem solve something for work, but weirdly my brain is off somewhere and I don't even realize the buttload of crap I'm eating!! I'm really really weird.

Nope I do the same thing. Hallmark of addiction I guess. I've changed other things in my life. We can do it!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-20, 01:40

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
Nope I do the same thing. Hallmark of addiction I guess. I've changed other things in my life. We can do it!!!

Yes we can!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-20, 12:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulder
"I have fallen off the wagon and been kicked by the horses more times than I can remember now.

I struggle every time to get back on and have now named the first week of low carb as the 'grieving week.' I'm grieving for the carbs and junk food I can't eat, even though I know they really aren't good for me."

"So yes, i feel your pain and sadness. I'm trying to accept that carbs are poison to me and I should avoid them forever but it's hard. Wishing you luck." X

Exactly so, there is definitely a grieving process, and the carb addiction is a very real emotional/physical thing. And it seems to be progressive, just like alchoholism etc. I've found myself binging despite poor health and even though it doesn't really give me that nice relaxed feeling anymore.....there is a letting go involved here and somehow a lot of sadness.......I find that it really doesn't 'work' anymore, eating starchy stuff, and yet I have still struggled with it. It's the MEMORY of it making you feel good, and the habit of it, and then the cravings come if you eat stuff like bread etc......
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-20, 19:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_Swan
Exactly so, there is definitely a grieving process, and the carb addiction is a very real emotional/physical thing. And it seems to be progressive, just like alchoholism etc. I've found myself binging despite poor health and even though it doesn't really give me that nice relaxed feeling anymore.....there is a letting go involved here and somehow a lot of sadness.......I find that it really doesn't 'work' anymore, eating starchy stuff, and yet I have still struggled with it. It's the MEMORY of it making you feel good, and the habit of it, and then the cravings come if you eat stuff like bread etc......

You are so right. But that's a key with addictions. Too many times they no longer make any sense.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 07:16

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

The good news is the longer you stay away and start really thinking thru alternative coping mechanisms, the less you miss it. Hang in there allow yourself to work thru it. One thing that helped me was this: I really started to buy into a new way of thinking about my choices. Rather than "I am giving up..." I try to look at it as "I am making a choice to eat... to become stronger, live better, and look my best" Making your new food choices a positive affirmation (just tell yourself that until you start to believe it, and you will if you stick with it) helps your head shift gears. Even when interacting with others, saying "I'm making healthier eating choices" sounds better and will elicit more support than "I can't have that..." And I know if I do lapse and have a slice of pizza or a dish of ice cream or something I havent eaten in a long time--it never ever lives up to the memory I had of it. I am always disappointed in the food and myself.

DON'T GIVE UP ON WHAT YOU REALLY WANT FOR WHAT YOU THINK YOU WANT RIGHT NOW.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-20, 12:07

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
And I know if I do lapse and have a slice of pizza or a dish of ice cream or something I havent eaten in a long time--it never ever lives up to the memory I had of it. I am always disappointed in the food and myself.

DON'T GIVE UP ON WHAT YOU REALLY WANT FOR WHAT YOU THINK YOU WANT RIGHT NOW.

You are SO right! It NEVER does for me what I'm hoping it would do, give me a nice relaxed feeling and somehow there is the expectation it will solve my problems.....My brother often has teased me about it, when I was stressed over something and ate over it, saying "Well, THAT solved the problem, right?" LOL