Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-21, 14:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Low carb wrap SUBSTITUTES

Low carb wraps have gluten in them. Enough for my tummy to detect, anyway. So I've found two kinds that seem to be working for me. Which I need as a sandwich fiend and especially in the summer.

Coconut wraps are coconut. That's all. They have a smooth side and a rough side, and I stack the fillings on the smooth side and get a grip on it with the rough side.

Quote:
Our NUCO coconut wrap contains 63 calories, 10 mg of sodium, 290 mg of potassium, 5 grams of fat, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of sugar, and 1 gram of protein. In addition to that, a coconut paleo wrap also has 2% of both iron and calcium (based on a 2,000 calorie diet). Aside from that, coconut paleo wraps also contain organic coconut meat and coconut water that contain fatty acids that have a number of health benefits.

Another is a sheet of seaweed used to wrap sushi. These are more delicate, but my guacamole/provolone/bacon/black olive concoction roll up fine. I've even done it with roast beef.

One gram protein, 1 gram carb, 1 gram fiber.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-21, 03:55

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I have discovered gluten free tortillas from Siete
Almond/tapioca flour is one
Almond/Cassava four is another
Not necessarily low carb
but tasty
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-21, 05:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wraps/tortillas have been a difficult quest for me. Yes, I love my chaffles, and your griddle muffins , but sometimes a big flat un-sticky thing in which to wrap your meat/cheese/veggies is nice. A meat/cheese/veg roll-up can be messy, especially when it's hot.

I wish the Nucos were less expensive, and/or I could figure out how to make my own. Maybe I just need to keep experimenting.

Likewise with the Folios I can buy now - nice, but prohibitively expensive.

The nori, I really like with some smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado and cucumber dipped in tamari when I'm in a sushi mood. I think it would taste weird to me outside of that, but it's a cool idea and it holds together well.

(ETA) I've seen great big deli chicken "wraps" out there on the twitter. I think it was Maria Emmeritch who mentioned them. They're exactly what they sound like - giant circular slices of deli chicken. For me, again, it would have to be priced right. I can buy "normal" deli chicken and make smaller roll-ups.

(ETA again) Large green leaves are a decent wrap. DH took me to a nice deli for my birthday one year, and their "gluten-free wrap" was a giant collard leaf. It was a tad bitter as you'd expect, but held together well and the sandwich was awesome.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Jun-09-21 at 06:07.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-21, 10:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Wraps/tortillas have been a difficult quest for me. Yes, I love my chaffles, and your griddle muffins , but sometimes a big flat un-sticky thing in which to wrap your meat/cheese/veggies is nice. A meat/cheese/veg roll-up can be messy, especially when it's hot.

I'm so pleased others are enjoying my griddle muffins!

I've put my sandwich fillings on a plate, over a salad, and inside an omelette. And yet, as you noted, a wrap has a draw of its own. Especially in summer. The lack of cooking, easy cleanup, and the ability to eat it while I do stuff on my Chromebook or Kindle are all heavy draws. That's when messy really gets on my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
(ETA again) Large green leaves are a decent wrap. DH took me to a nice deli for my birthday one year, and their "gluten-free wrap" was a giant collard leaf. It was a tad bitter as you'd expect, but held together well and the sandwich was awesome.

I thought the coconut wraps were problematic because of fiber; since healing my digestive system by going gluten free, that's an issue. But apparently it's the kind of fiber my tum likes. I indulged over last year's holiday season, and I was also putting greens on the sandwich.

But now, coconut and NO greens: my body seems to like it better. It's never the first time, so when I'm out I can still order a salad. (And eating out with friends WILL return!) But lately, costwise, DH & I have been sticking to breakfast out on occasion.

But a steady diet of greens upsets my system. Maybe lectins, maybe fiber, maybe the combo. But since the coconut is the BEST I've found, I tell myself I save money on paper plates and towels I buy bulk at Amazon, which helps. Or at iHerb, when they have it.

Now, the seaweed is much cheaper and has micronutrients. And I like them almost as well! Even with an Italian or roastbeef sandwich A Reuben I wouldn't, especially since it's so messy. But I zap the stack in the microwave and it's great in the coconut wrap.

When I discovered a carefully crafted diet, a la Dr. Terry Wahls, kept my autoimmune in check, I looked at buying food in yet another whole new way. Since the alternative is to get drugs that cost $900 a month, even with insurance. When I consider my specialized health needs, Wahls/Primal/Custom still comes out as a cheaper alternative that works better.

Which is how I must see it, lately. But if such indulgences are healthy ones, that's better than the struggle (because I don't have energy as I should -- I hope that improves) to avoid cheap and unhealthy indulgences.

Everyone has their own balancing act.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-21, 03:37

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I have had black bruises on my shins for no apparent reason.
They were getting bigger
When I stopped eating bacon every day the bruises started to fade
Not totally gone so there is some other food I may need to eliminate
so far haven't found it
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-21, 04:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I have had black bruises on my shins for no apparent reason.
They were getting bigger
When I stopped eating bacon every day the bruises started to fade
Not totally gone so there is some other food I may need to eliminate
so far haven't found it

It's a sad and it often leads to OTHER things we have to consider: but it is worth it.