Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/186/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy most of the people on the earth would have to starve

I have an open mind to all the Low-Carb information, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't question authority. I went on induction for 2 weeks, keeping my carb limit to 20g or less. It didn't feel right for me. I really don't know exactly what happens with my liver when in a state of ketosis but it didn't feel good to have to drown myself in water to avoid headaches. Who should we believe that the liver is perfectly happy in a state of ketosis? Atkins? Would he really tell us if ketones were not all that good for the liver? Really?

Here's a few things I'm pondering tonight:
from http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/highfat.htm

Thig guy's article goes on and on about carbs but he does have a few valid points. I know Atkins' is right that we are all eating more sugar and in my opinion too many fries, Cokes, burgers, and fried Chicken.

If it were somehow strangely necessary for all mankind to eat Dr. Atkins' diet, most of the people on the earth would have to starve, as it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef. Half the people on earth have an income of less than two dollars a day and could not afford a heavy meat diet.

Refined sugar was introduced to Europe during the Middle Ages, and it was one of the few items taxed before 1802 by the US government. Aktins is correct in saying that our use of sugar has greatly increased during this century.

White flour was first produced by the Romans, back in 150 BC. The only known problem with white flour is that fiber and many nutrients are also lost in the milling process, which has been partially corrected by enriching the flour.

White rice has been the customary rice of China since the time of Confucius, about 500 BC. It has thus been the standard food in Asia for about 2,500 years. Like white flour, it is produced by milling and thus has lost some of the nutrients and fiber of brown rice. It has been enriched to partially correct this problem, but it has not been chemically altered in any way. White rice has not created obese and diabetic Asians. Few people in the US eat large quantities of rice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 20:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's all this article appears to be...opinion. He doesn't back up any of his statements with references to published studies.
Ketones are known to be bad for the kidneys? What study showed that?

Okay...it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of beef. How many pounds of grain does it take to produce range fed beef? How about chicken, turkey, fish or eggs...or even tofu?
Funny thing is, I don't really eat more meat on low carb than I did before. What I do eat a lot more of is fat...particulary olive oil (no grain feeding involved there) and flax oil. It's interesting that he makes mention that the Ice Man was found to have been eating grains. The specific grain wasn't mentioned but it was flax (otherwise known as linseed)...a very low carb grain high in omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. It wasn't wheat.

Okay...Asians eat rice as a staple of their diets. Did it ever occur to you that most of the poeple in those countries have no concept of what free time is? How about the fact that they walk or ride a bike everywhere they go and that they aren't sitting on their butts all day watching movies and TV? In general, those cultures are far more physically active than western countries are. Those that are physically more active can afford to eat more carbs than those who are not. Rice is also probably the highest carb food that they eat and it's not in the portions that everyone thinks; another good portion of their diets is made up of mostly very low carb vegetables. Another point to ponder is that while they may be slimmer, are they healthier? New studies are showing that's not necessarily the case. They also have a much higher incidence of stomach cancer and strokes. I'd also like to point out that diabetes is growing fastest in Asian countries at the current time.

Last, where has anyone said that the majority of the world should be consuming 20 grams of carb or less per day and eating half a cow at one sitting? BTW...the article also misquotes Dr. Atkins on what maintainance levels of carb would be for most people...it's 60 grams, not 40 and many people here maintain on more than that. That's an awful lot of veggies and would also include fruit and some whole grains as well.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 05:48
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

May I point you in the direction to some articles?

Grove's Naive Vegetarian

Splendor on the grass

Ancient Dietary Wisdom for Tommorrow's Children

Know your fats

Traditional Diets

Ketosis and Liver

You may also be interested in Protein Power, they explain more of the science of low carbing and they start at 30 grams of carbs.

Happy reading!

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: most of the people on the earth would have to starve

Quote:
Originally posted by fodus8
White rice has been the customary rice of China since the time of Confucius, about 500 BC. It has thus been the standard food in Asia for about 2,500 years. Like white flour, it is produced by milling and thus has lost some of the nutrients and fiber of brown rice. It has been enriched to partially correct this problem, but it has not been chemically altered in any way. White rice has not created obese and diabetic Asians. Few people in the US eat large quantities of rice.

Not true. Milling has only occurred in this century in Asia. Prior to that time, they ate whole rice. In fact, B vitamins are/were made from the portion of the rice that is lost in milling. Before B vitamins were offered as a supplement for rice-eating people, pernicious anemia (caused by lack of B vitamins) was a plague.

Sugar Blues - author escapes me at this moment - is an excellent book to read in spite of its age.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 16:58

BF:

I ran across another interesting thing while I was researching disease statistics for Asian countries. In Asian countries, it's considered a shameful and dishonorable thing to die from heart disease, but an honorable thing to suffer a stroke. Why this is escapes me, but the cause of death because of this is more likely to be reported as "stroke" even when it was likely a heart attack instead to protect the honor of the deceased. Because family honor is so important in these cultures, even doctors are willing to fudge the cause of death in the interest of family honor.
All this has caused me to question whether or not the incidence of heart disease in these cultures is actually higher than reported. Hmmmm....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 03:42

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
If it were somehow strangely necessary for all mankind to eat Dr. Atkins' diet, most of the people on the earth would have to starve, as it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef.

Strangely enough, that is probably why humans left their protein and fat diet, and started agriculture, to avoid starvation. Too many people and not enough prey.

Facing 5 million years of evolution, what the Romans did is not relevent.

danny
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 09:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally posted by fodus8

If it were somehow strangely necessary for all mankind to eat Dr. Atkins' diet, most of the people on the earth would have to starve, as it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef.

Well, yeah. That goes without saying, and has absolutely nothing to do with Atkin's plan. The article talks about going back to diets from biblical times and 5,000 years ago, but that's not far enough. The Atkins diet is closer to what humans ate before the invention of agriculture. It's been 15,000 years or so since then and that's a very small step in the time scale of evolution so basically we are still the same animals now, that we were then. However, before agriculture there were not 7 billion of us. So we could feed everyone, most of the time, by just hunting, gathering, and scavenging.

Now, bring in agriculture. I think it could be a bit of a chicken or the egg thing, where its not clear if we developed agriculture from the need to feed a growing population of humans, or if we developed argriculture, which made food that much more available and allowed for a rise in population. Regardless, where there was more food, there were more people. An acre of land given to agriculture can support more people than an acre of land given to hunting, gathering and scavenging. Follow that down the line far enough, say 15,000 years, and you have a world population that has vastly exceeded the capacity of the land to support it without agriculture. So yes, today if the entire world switched over to Atkins, most of us might starve.

BUT that says nothing about whether we are biologically inclined to eat low-carb.

The fact that he attemps to connect these ideas makes me very skeptical of the entire article.

If you want more info on stuff like this checkout "Guns, Germs and Steel." Not much on diet in it, but its a great source for looking at the advent, impact, and spread of technology and societies.

Quote:
Half the people on earth have an income of less than two dollars a day and could not afford a heavy meat diet.

This is economics and says nothing about whether or not we should be eating this way, biologically. Now, if you want to argue the morals of consumption, he may have a point.

Quote:
The only known problem with white flour is that fiber and many nutrients are also lost in the milling process, which has been partially corrected by enriching the flour.

True, unless you are looking into foods that convert quickly to glucose in your body. From a low-fat perspective white flour is merely nutrient-deficient. From a low-carb stand point it might as well be straight glucose.

Quote:

Again, change your persepective, and it's not such a good food for a low-carber.

The guy who wrote the article appears to be an avid cyclist. Even Atkins says that athletes don't need to be as concerned with carb intake and the more active you are the more carbs you can eat because you will use them up. It seems likely that he doesn' need to diet and is making the mistake that many people do in looking at low-carb as a quick weight loss fix for the readers of his web site.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 07:12
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Here are two good items to add to this discussion:

Caveman diet
Discusses anatomically what we are designed to digest

Effect of agriculture
Discusses the orgins and effects of agriculture on society, it's a long post but from very knowledgable people. A good read!!

Liz
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 12:48

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am a vegetarian doing ATkins so I don't eat any produced beef at all (or fish or chicken, etc...)

So if the whole world went Atkins to make more food we could just plant lots of soy fields
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:17

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
First, his notion that early man ate a high fat, low carbohydrate diet is not based on any evidence. True, early man did kill and eat animals (or, as some researchers think, he scavenged the spoiled meat that meat-eating animals had left behind), so meat was part of the diet, but it is impossible to know what proportion it was. It's clear that our teeth are designed to eat both meat and vegetables and that apes and monkeys also eat a mixed diet. Analysis of the contents of the stomach of the Ice Man, who died 5,000 years ago, establish that he had been eating grains. We know from history and from the Bible that milk, honey, and bread were eaten in quantity back in the days of the pharaohs. In the Bible, bread is the most important food. Jesus asked us to pray for our daily bread, not for our daily steak.

2000 years, 5000 years is not early man...2000-5000 years is nothing evolution wise. You need to look muhc further back to the days before the advent of agriculture.

Quote:
Weight is measured as BMI, Body Mass Index, and the higher the number, the greater the weight per height. A BMI of under 18.5 is considered underweight, while a BMI of 25 or above is considered overweight. Ironically, the Inuit (Eskimos), the people with the nearly all-meat diet who inspired the notion that eating meat could keep you thin, are among the heaviest. Looking at these diets, it seems that the total calories is probably more important than their source, with the Evenki being the only strong exception. Leonard points out that the Evenki diet is low in fat (20% fat vs. USA 35%).

A BMI below 20 is underweight. A BMI below 18.5 is Anorexic. At least get that right. "Ther heaviest" ??? Their average BMI is 24 according to his chart, which is lower than the average American who eats a diet of 77% plant products. I wonder why. The lowest BMIs on his chart are unhealthy. 18 and 19 are considered underweight by medical standards. I would dare to say that anything below 23 is too thin. 24 BMI (Inuit) is a perfectly healthy weight...neither too fat nor too thin.

Quote:
If it were somehow strangely necessary for all mankind to eat Dr. Atkins' diet, most of the people on the earth would have to starve, as it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef. Half the people on earth have an income of less than two dollars a day and could not afford a heavy meat diet.

He is perpetuating the misconception that animals must be be fed a diet of grain. In fact, grain is what makes domesticated animals so unnaturally fatty. letting animals range feed would reduce the amount of saturated fat in their meat...If he is so convinced (as seen later in his article) that saturated fat is bad...why does he insist animals must be fed grain ??? Range fed animals require no grain, can be raised on land that is unusable for grain production, and are generally lower in overall fat and higher in the unsaturated fats. If anything this shows that we should stop feeding animals grain.

Quote:
Refined sugar was introduced into Europe during the Middle Ages, and it was one of the few items taxed by the US government before 1802...Honey has been a prized sweet for thousands of years, but the amount consumed even by honey lovers is small. White flour was first produced by the Romans, and its use has actually declined during this century, although there has been a smaller increase since 1970. White rice has been the customary rice of China since the time of Confucius, about 500 BC. It has thus been the standard food in Asia for about 2,500 years, although US comsumption has never been high. No one, except Atkins, would include milk in this category. Its use is ancient. Potatoes are an Amerindian food and have been heavily used as food by other peoples for hundreds of years.

A drop in the bucket. Refined Table Sugar is a few hundred years old. Honey is the only refined sugar that existed in caveman days and to quote Cordain's Paleo Diet you had to outrun bees to get it. Obviously it wasn't used too often by the cavemen.

Do we know anything about the health of Romans and Egyptians ??? For all we know they may have been fat and prone to heart disease. Again 2000 years is a drop in the bucket. Milk wasn't consumed by cavemen. "Ancient" is more recent...you should be looking at "Pre-historic." Potatoes were used by one tribe of South American indians for 5,000 years...While that is also a drop in the bucket, I should point out that potatoes were not introduced outside that tiny area in the Andes until Spanish explorers brought them back to Europe in the 16th century. It wasn't until the end of the 18th century that most Europeans began eating potatoes.

Quote:
Fourth, Atkins claims that people in the US have become more susceptable to diabetes due to overweight people marrying overweight people within this century. It is true that some people are at greater risk than others due to their greater tendency to gain weight or to acquire diabetes, and it's also true that some populations are more susceptable as well, but these developed over many generations. The weight crisis in the US has occurred within a single lifespan and thus could not be much affected by breeding.

That must be in his last book...Becuase I have the 2002 edition and it doesn't say that.

Quote:
Fifth, Dr. Atkins is effective at looking through medical research and finding a few studies that seem to support his claims. However, he completely ignores or dismisses the notion that saturated fats are dangerous. Atkins claims that the medical community supports a low-fat diet because of the financial support of the junk food producers, but he fails to provide any evidence of such support. In fact, all or nearly all nutritionists recommend eating whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruit rather than eating processed foods. And like him, they consider junk foods and the trans-fatty acids (hydrogenate fats) found in processed foods harmful. It's ironic that Atkins accuses the researchers of being influenced by money, as he makes large amounts of money from the people who read his books, buy his pills, and use his services. His income is so great, in fact, that he has his own CEO (see the right panel).

So, Atkins has made some money...He's made nowhere near as much as the Low-Fat people. And, unlike them, his money goes back into the Atkins Center where they help people. Low-Fat dollars go into corporations pockets. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Quote:
Sixth, one claim that Atkins makes is that his diet is good for the heart. In fact, he spends a great many pages talking about this, saying that he developed the diet because he is a cardiologist and because his diet helps those with heart problems. Actually, saturated fat, which is a heavy component of his meat-heavy diet, causes heart disease. When Dr. Atkins developed his own heart problems, he kept the information secret from the public, and only a heart attack in a public place caused this information to be released. His agents said that his heart problems should not be publicized because they are a purely personal matter; however, I think that anyone who claims to be an example of his own diet should be completely honest about his condition.

Why don't they start by being honest...Dr. Atkins' heart problem was proven to be the result of an infection...not his diet. This page would falsely lead one to believe that it was because he ate alot of fat. This is completely misleading.

More to come...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:52

BF:

Quote:
Normally, the body burns glucose and uses fat as a long-term energy reserve. When carbohydrates are eliminated from the diet, there is nothing to convert to glucose, the body quickly runs out of blood sugar, and begins to starve. In desperation, the body breaks fat down into ketones and uses these as fuel instead. During this process, the body loses large amounts of water, and the appetite is suppressed. Thus the Aktins diet ends up being a low-calorie diet. However, due to the uncontrolled nature of the diet, the dieter is likely to burn protein (i.e. muscle mass) as well as fat.

That is why we eat alot of protein...As long as we have enough dietary protein, our bodies don't cannabalize muscle tissue. But, low-calorie dieters quite often lose alot of muscle tissue. They don't eat enough protein and thus they lose muscle mass.

Quote:
First, he states that ketosis is a highly desirable condition, that ketones are actually better fuel for the body and brain than glucose, and second he argues that ketosis occurs for less than two weeks in the diet, thus not long enough to cause major problems. Both of these claims are incorrect. Not much research has been done into ketosis, but it is known that the process creates problems for the kidneys.

No it doesn't...The kidney problems are the result of not using your kidneys for years (usually from LF dieting) and then having to use them again. It is not Atkins fault that people damaged their kidney by not consuming enough fat and protein.

Quote:
But, he elsewhere maintains that a person on his diet who starts to gain weight should induce ketosis once again, thus someone using the Atkins diet could be bouncing in and out of ketosis fairly often.

Not if they are doing it right. In fact, Dr. Atkins discourages such use of his diet. It is not an on and off diet...The only reason a person would need to go back to Ketosis would be that they went off Atkins. That is the exact opposite of what his book suggests.

Quote:
In addition, the National Academy of Science's Institute of Health has determined that the human brain needs the energy produced by 130 grams of carbohydrate per day.

"The energy produced by 130 grams of carbohydrate"...Not 130 of carbohydrates. We get all the energy we need from fat and protein. There is no need to feed our brains with carbohydrates. I am doing just as well in school as I was before Atkins. So, obviously it hasn't affected my brain. In fact, my classes have gotten harder. For all I know, my brain function may have improved.

Quote:
To maintain the appropriate weight using the Aktins method, the dieter must keep the amount of carbohydrates in the diet restricted for a lifetime. Depending on the amount of restriction, this may mean that the person must greatly reduce the consumption of grains, beans, fruit, and vegetables which contain nutrients, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fiber which are essential for maintaining good health.

Restriction is the basis of all diets. Atkins restricts carbs...Others restrict fat. LF/Low-Cal diets which are considered normal are in fact the most restrictive as they restrict both fat and calories...leaving the dieter constantly deprived and starving.

As for nutrients...I get 100% of the vast majority of my vitamins and minerals from the food I eat. Even the few I don't get 100% of all the time, are usually in the 80-90% range. Vegetables ??? I don't think anyone could go over their CCLM by eating too many green veggies. Fruit ??? Depending on your CCLM...there is alot of room for LC fruits such as Cantaloupe and Berries. A whole cantaloupe has only 40 something carbs if I remember correctly.

As for fiber...we can have all of that we want. Green vegetables and nuts are high in it. Fiber is deducted from our net carbs. So, if you are getting all your carbs from veggies and nuts...you should be getting plenty of fiber. As for beans...we can have green beans which are also high in fiber. I believe soybeans are allowed.

Quote:
Finally, Dr. Atkins recommends exercise, and he plays a little tennis as a result. However, the extremely low carbohydrate diet results in a body depleted of glucose, and thus a cyclist on the Atkins diet will be in a perpetual state of bonk. This makes a lifestyle with a healthy amount of exercise impossible.

Not true at all. The more exericse you get the higher your CCLM. If you are athletic type and are at Maintnance...you shouldn't have any problems. Even if your CCLM was lower...fat and protein can provide the needed energy.

Quote:
Atkins thinks saturated fat is harmless and advocates a diet high in saturated fat based on meat; Willet considers saturated fat dangerous and advocates nuts, fish, and vegetable oil as safe sources. Both have problem with carbohydrates, but Aktins wants them largely removed from the diet, and Willett wants the amount reduced, with only refined carbohydrates eliminated. Atkins does not want fruit included in the diet, while Willett considers it important.

Complete and udder BULLSHIT. Atkins never advocated eating a diet entirely of meat. You could do the Atkins diet with Nuts, Fish, and Vegetable oils. In fact, he suggests using healthy oils such as Canola. Nuts are one of the first things added back. The fruit claim is patently false. Fruit (along with nuts) is added back very early on. In fact, he suggests using berries for your 5g increments during OWL. Atkins never said to remove all or most carbs from your diet. If you have a high CCLM...the only thing banned for life is refined sugar, white bread, and trans-fat...the same thing Willet prohibits for life. The Willet diet (by its description) is nothing more than the Atkins diet. The only difference is that Willet tells you exactly what to eat while Atkins tells you to eat foods with or without certain ingredients.

Quote:
He points out that saturated fat from diary products and red meat raises cholesterol levels, as shown by studies with volunteers eating proscribed diets in the 60's. Polyunsaturated fats (from vegetable oils and fish) lower cholesterol levels. Thus, since the 60's, Americans have been taught to replace animal fats with vegetable fats which has helped halve the coronary heart disease rate.

All these studies involved alot of carbs as well as alot of fat. They also involved alot of Dairy, which is low in Monounsaturated fat...Whereas, beef has more Monounsaturated Fat than Saturated Fat. Monounsaturated Fat has been proven to lower Cholesterol. It is very high in the oils Atkins suggests. Beef, Eggs, and even Lard have more Monounsaturated Fat than they do Saturated Fat.

I do not believe his claim that coronary heart disease has been cut in half...Everytime you watch TV they are claiming it is the highest in years. If in fact it had been cut in half...the USDA/AHA would be bragging all over the place about how their diet decreased heart disease.

Quote:
The high coronary heart disease rate found in the US is not found in places where either the amount of fat consumed is small or where the fat is mono- or polyunsaturated. In traditional Japanese diets, fat is only 8 to 10% of the diet, and only about 500 men out of 10,000 develop heart disease. In Crete, the traditional diet contains much olive oil and fish, thus fat constitutes 40% of the diet, but it is mono- and polyunsaturated fat, thus the heart disease rate is only 200 men out of 10,000. In Eastern Finland, on the other hand, saturated fats make up 38% of the diet, and the heart disease rate is 3,000 out of 10,000.

My intake looks more like that of Crete...40 something percent fat with alot of monounsaturated fat...and I am doing Atkins. How can that be...I am eating a diet with close to the same levels of fat as Cretians who are super healthy. But, that can't be as I'm on Atkins...According to this guy I should be grabbing my chest and having a heart atatck right now...because after all Atkins causes heart disease.

more to come...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:11

BF:

Quote:
Controlled feeding showed that replacing calories from saturated fat with calories from carbohydrates causes LDL and cholesterol levels to fall, but also causes the HDL level to fall, thus the risk reduction is small. Triglyceride (molecules of fat) levels increase, which increases the risk of heart attack. Giving up mono- or polyunsatuated fat for carbohydrates for carbohydrates is even worse.

I think he just proved Dr. Atkins point...A diet high in carbs and low in saturated fat INCREASED the risk of heart disease. How can someone continue to push such a diet knowing that ???

Quote:
In tests, a high intake of starch from refined grains and potatoes is associated with increase risk for type II diabetes and coronary heart disease. A diet high in fiber reduces those risks. Those who are lean and active can consume large amounts of refined carbohydrates without diabetes or heart disease while the same diet in a sedentary population can be very harmful.

He again proves Dr. Atkins point...Eating alot of carbs increases the risk of Diabetes and that getting alot of exercise increases the amount of carbs you can safely consume.

Quote:
Fruits and vegetables help prevent heart attacks. Red meat increases the likelihood of colon cancer, heart disease, and type II diabetes. Eating fish and chicken instead of red meat reduces the risk of all three. An egg a day is not harmful. Eating nuts is beneficial.

"Red meat increases the likelihood of...type II diabetes." That is a BALD FACED LIE. Diabetes is caused by insulin resistance, which is caused by eating too many carbs for a long period of time. Dietary fat does not cause Diabetes. Rather, doing what he suggests (eating High Carb/Low Fat) is what causes Diabetes.

Atkins doesn't say to eat Red meat instead of Chicken. I eat alot of Grilled Fish, Roasted Chicken, Boiled Shrimp, and other such foods. Nuts are one of the first things added back on Atkins. When I want a snack while I'm out...I eat nuts.

Quote:
When Dr. Willett tested people with USDA's Healthy Eating Index (which tests how well the diet compares to the food pyramid), he found those with the highest scores had a lower risk. But they also smoked less, exercised more, and had "healthier lifestyles." After adjustment for these factors, there was no advantage.

Yet again...he proves Atkins (and Taubes) point...Low-Fat diets are not only no better at making you healthy, they make you less healthy.

Quote:
His advice? Eat healthy fats and cabohydrates, the exact proportion unimportant. Consume moderate amounts of healthy protein. Eat fruits and vegetables in abundance, and nuts and beans daily. Minimize consumption of dairy products, red meat, butter, refined grains, potatoes, and sugar. Avoid transfatty acids. Every day, drink a small amount of alcohol, and take a multiple vitamin

Replace "fruits" with "Low-glycemic, Low-carb Fruits" and replace "beans" with "String Beans, Pole Beans, and/or Soybeans" and you are doing Atkins OWL.

Quote:
As a result, it takes a lot more carrots to fill the stomach than it does sugar, and thus carrots tend to satisfy the appetite better than sugar.

The second half of this sentence directly contradicts the first half.

Quote:
Some foods high in protein have a high glycemic index even though they contain no carbohydrate.

That food is Aspartame which Atkins tells people not to use.

Quote:
Finally, ice cream has a much lower glycemic index than carrots, potatoes, or white rice, but it has an insulin index similar to potatoes and much higher than white rice (this is due to the high-fat content).

Once again, Fat does not contribute to, worsen, or cause Diabetes.

Quote:
My own diet includes pasta, potatoes, white rice, and beans with brown rice, and I can't tell any difference in my appetite or behavior based on which foods I eat, perhaps because I exercise so much.

Ding...Ding...Ding. This explains his whole article. He is an athlete who eats lots of carbs...and thus feels everyone else should eat like him. I ate like he did: Mostly Pasta and Bread with some potatoes...It put over 100 pounds on me...sending me from Overweight to Morbidly Obese. Thanks to Atkins I am only a week or two away from no longer being Obese.

more to come...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:25

BF:

Quote:
Do we know anything about the health of Romans and Egyptians ???

As a matter of fact, we do. I think in Roman literature we have some of the first examples of Bulemic behavior (binging and purging) and they had special places called vomitoriums specifically for that purpose; those that visited vomitoriums could eat until they were past full, go vomit and then come back and eat some more.
As for the Egyptians, mummys that are studied show skin folds consistent with obestity, arteries with a large amount of plaque, and advanced tooth decay. I'd say that whatever they were eating wasn't promoting a healthy body.
I find it a bit interesting that the Israelites wandering in the desert following the exodus weren't moaning about the lack of bread or honey...they were missing their leeks and garlic.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:36

BF:

Quote:
While I can see real benefits to drinking fruit juices rather than soft drinks, eating whole grains rather than refined grains, eating beans on a regular basis, eating a good variety of vegetables and fruits, and avoiding saturated fats and transfatty acids, I think the benefits of such a change would be smaller than if everyone began walking and bicycling for transportation again.

My own experience proves this wrong...I gained weight walking/biking 4 miles a day and playing intense sports for 30 minutes to an hour a day. Why ??? Because in the morning, I'd have 3 biscuits and 2 sodas, at lunch I ate a school lunch which was and probably still is loaded with sugar to lower the percent of total fat, at dinner I'd have a whole basket of rolls, dozens of crackers, a lean meat or many times Spaghetti, and two sides of potatoes, and during the day I'd drink lots of soda (they had soda and snakc machines on school grounds). Even with all that exericse...I was just getting TOO MANY CARBS. Granted, if you are only getting a few too many carbs, exercise will do the job. But, if you are getting way too many all the exercise will do is slow down the weight gain.

Quote:
According to "Get Up And Get Moving" in Newsweek, Jan. 20, 2003, one person in four within the USA is complete sedentary, and 60% of the population doesn't get enough exercise to receive a health benefit. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 76.6 billion dollars could be saved each year through exercise. (I have seen much higher figures than this elsewhere.)

I don't know what the exact the definition of sedentary was in this study...But, I would bet many people inaccurately described themselves as sedentary. I cannot imagine 1:4 people not getting any exercise at all...be it at work, school, home, or the gym.

Quote:
However, walking slowly doesn't do any good. Bess Marcus, director of physical activity research at Brown Univesity says, "You must walk a mile in 15 to 20 minutes max. You should feel your heart beat faster, your breath quicken, your sweat drip."

15-20 minutes is standard walking. Hell, I used to walk a mile in 13 minutes at an only slightly faster than normal pace. I can't imagine anyone other than someone extremelly overweight or extremelly old walking any slower than that. Then again, I've always been told I walk quickly.

Quote:
If walking is good, bicycling is better. Pedalling Health (you can also read my review in this directory) reports that in Finland, those who chose to walk for exercise had a maximum heart rate of 60% and a VO2 max. of 38. Those who chose to bicycle had a maximum heart rate of 70% and a VO2 max. of 57. Although starting from a higher level, the cyclists improved more over a ten week period than did the walkers.

There is one thing I didn't mention...When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike alot. Alot of kids did then. I don't know if they still do or not. When I go to the gym nowadays...I primarily ride the bikes. I like to swim...but, the lifegaurd on campus got pissed because I like to swim underwater and dive in the deep end. Apparently, your only supposed to use the shallow end and then only do standard laps (above water). So, I don't use the pool anymore.I'll have to see if I can find somewhere they'll let me swim underwater and use the diving boards.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 23:22

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I do not believe his claim that coronary heart disease has been cut in half...Everytime you watch TV they are claiming it is the highest in years. If in fact it had been cut in half...the USDA/AHA would be bragging all over the place about how their diet decreased heart disease.

Coronary heart disease is up. Fatalities are down, due to bypasses and other medical improvements.
This gives anybody, any statistic they want.
danny