Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1171   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 09:20

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

How about Kailua Kona, Hawaii for a fasting retreat?

Sponsored Links
  #1172   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 09:31

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
How about Kailua Kona, Hawaii for a fasting retreat?

I just received an email about this. It's a little bit beyond my current and any future budgets. It is run by the IDM or Intensive Dietary Management program developed by Dr Fung. Dr Fung frequently talks about how fasting saves money. I don't think he was referring to fasting retreats like this.
  #1173   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 11:06

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Dr Fung frequently talks about how fasting saves money. I don't think he was referring to fasting retreats like this.
  #1174   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 15:33

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It should be cheaper than a fine dining retreat in Hawaii.
  #1175   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-19, 20:22

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I recently joined one of the Fung FB groups. Frankly I hate the FB format for a support group and totally prefer our lowcarber database here, but did want to get their viewpoint. They seem to be mostly rabid multi-day fasters. One of them even told me that if I just did alternate day fasting I had no hope of losing weight or getting any healthier, and that for women Fung finds a 42-hour fast is about the minimum to be of any benefit! I certainly didn’t see that in the books so wonder if this is new information somewhere.

Also one other frequent poster - who does credit IF for reversing his diabetes and helping him lose 100+ pounds - has said more than once that Fung is insane for saying insulin causes insulin resistance, which this fellow claims has been totally debunked. He also insists that all “reputable” scientists think Fung is a total crackpot. Anyone else hearing information like this? His views make me wonder why he’s even so active on a Fung support group!
  #1176   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-19, 21:46

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I don’t know about that crazy critic, but it seems like some people just like to troll and stir up problems. I know even some in the keto world have problems with Dr. Fung, even doctors I adore, like Dr. Phinney. They have a problem with people just going off and doing days and days of fasting with no care given to the refeeding process and the careless attitude that a lot of followers have about protein requirements.
  #1177   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-19, 22:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The impression I get lately from Fung/Megan on fasting is that they're really holding back on the longer fasts except for the really hard cases. Maybe I need to listen to some of their more recent interviews again and see if I've got the wrong impression.
  #1178   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 07:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The impression I get lately from Fung/Megan on fasting is that they're really holding back on the longer fasts except for the really hard cases. Maybe I need to listen to some of their more recent interviews again and see if I've got the wrong impression.

I agree with that, lately the 36-42 hour fasts 2 or 3 times a week is considered enough for weight loss, and anything extended longer than that should be reserved for severe health issues and only done with close doctor supervision. In the new Longevity Book summary, a "Prolonged Fast" is anything more than 24 hours, undertaken with medical supervision.

There are many Fungsters FB pages...the "official" one is the Obesity Code Network. That one is closely moderated, there is an extensive FILE section, and the Moderators post 2 or 3 fasting timetables each week if you want to try one of their protocols, beginner to advanced.
  #1179   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 08:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Also one other frequent poster - who does credit IF for reversing his diabetes and helping him lose 100+ pounds - has said more than once that Fung is insane for saying insulin causes insulin resistance, which this fellow claims has been totally debunked. He also insists that all “reputable” scientists think Fung is a total crackpot. Anyone else hearing information like this? His views make me wonder why he’s even so active on a Fung support group!

Amy Berger addresses this contention and more in her blog post from March 19:
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2019/0...creas.html#more

It's a long post; yet, rich with detailed information.
  #1180   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 11:49

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I know a guy who is a member at IDM and he says their official advice is either two to three 42-hour fast every week or one 72-hour fast. The former fits in with ADF during the week (MWF) and then eating on the weekend. For eating days, they recommend time-restricted eating (TRE) of at least 16:8, preferably 18:6. That's how those ADF days get to 42 hours.
  #1181   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 13:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Amy Berger addresses this contention and more in her blog post from March 19:
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2019/0...creas.html#more

It's a long post; yet, rich with detailed information.

Wow. She is a dynamo of information!!!! Only been reading 5 minutes!
  #1182   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 14:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Amy Berger suggests that people can read what I she wrote under the heading "End" to decide if they want to read the whole post so I did that. Here's what she says at the end:

That’s the interesting thing, isn’t it? Despite the incredible complexity of pancreatic and hepatic physiology, and the weird things that happen in disease states, low carb/keto seems to make most of this irrelevant. So we can sit around and debate and argue endlessly over the minutia, or we can eat a very low carb diet and take most of blood glucohttps://forum.lowcarber.org/search.php?do=getnewse and insulin “management” out of the equation. Take it out of the equation.

I am not greatly interested in the minutae and I have pretty much come to this conclusion for myself. If I stick to a very low carb/keto diet I am doing the best thing I can for my health. I don't have to know all the details. I understand that other people are fascinated by this stuff. I am not. I just want to know the best way for me to be eating to maintain my health. I think I am doing that.
  #1183   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 00:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Darn, I hate when I’ve typed a long reply and then the phone eats it. 😡 Yeah, the “official” Obesity Code Network is the FB group I’m on. Maybe I do need to try longer fasts since nothing else has worked in the last 10 years. I just have not been able to do it! 20:4 is pretty doable but anything longer gets really difficult.
  #1184   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 00:54

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I really love the Zero fasting app and have been using it for the last few weeks. It says that my daily average for fasting is about 20 hours a day. I usually do 20-24 hours during the weekdays and 16 or 18 on the weekends. I know that longer would be better, but at what point do we just say to ourselves that this is “good enough”? I’m already eating better than the majority of Americans and I’m experiencing a lot of health benefits. I’ve made it to the 50% progress mark, which I had begun to think was an impossibility for me. So, maybe fasting 42 or 72 hours would speed up my losses considerably (only averaging 2.5 pounds a month), but with small children around who watch what I eat...or don’t eat, maybe slower is better for now?

There’s still so much we don’t know, according to Dr. Phinney, about the longer fasts. Is it possible that longer than 24 hours, on average, gets into diminishing returns territory with regards to body composition as well as quality and enjoyment of life? I don’t know. It’s probably different for everyone. But since introducing IF, I broke a 2 decade setpoint and weigh the same as I did as a Freshman in college. So I can’t deny the benefits of fasting for someone like me. But is more better? Is this something we just have to wait out? Robb Wolf says that sometimes it can take more than 6 months for the body to decide it can drop more weight. Maybe sometimes we just have to keep doing what we’re doing and wait for our body to decide it’s okay to be smaller or bigger, in the case of people who are looking to gain weight. I think fasting can be like anything else that brings results. We can fall into the more is better mentality. But maybe it’s not true? And maybe people with that mentality are what’s drawing all the criticism for even TRE or IF of any sort.
  #1185   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 02:37

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

LC apps, military testing KD. There is hope.