Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/193/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Another Bikram yogini

I've been doing Bikram yoga for about a year and a half, and I really like it. It does take some getting used to. The studio is very hot, and if it's carpeted (as it should be) it will smell like sweaty humans. It's also quite strenuous, and you have to be willing to sit out postures when you've had enough. My husband, a naturally slender European fellow who was a nationally-ranked speed skater in his youth (we're in our 50s), says it's as hard a workout as he ever did on the ice.

I don't go to yoga for the woo, and despite the huge amount of calories I burn going 3 times a week it hasn't helped me lose weight. But it's been great for my strength, flexibility, and especially for my joints, which were starting to get creaky.

Highly recommended, if you have a nearby studio and can put in the time and put up with the heat and a room full of other sweaty and disgustingly fit people.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 08:12

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 250/135/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

Love BY. I practice a cpl times week. I actually posted a pic of me doing the bow pose.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-14, 13:38

Plan: Low carb high fat
Stats: 179.6/175.4/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I love vinyasa flow yoga in a heated room. I've tried both and probably prefer vinyasa flow yoga since the class may differ with each instructor. In Bikram, there are 26 postures that you repeat twice during each class.

Corepower has some great classes multiple options to try hot yoga. Hot yoga is not bikram, but try them both. You may prefer one over the other.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-14, 13:17

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Not a fan of Bikram's method. I think it's a dangerous way to practice yoga. Not a fan of the man, either. IMO he's an unethical moneygrubber. Trying to claim intellectual property rights over a sequence of asanas that have been used for thousands of years. What a crook.

I am a big fan of traditional yoga, done in an adequately heated room (a temperature that you would consider pleasant, barefoot and wearing shorts).
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-14, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

I love my Bikram yoga. I've described it as horrific and wonderful rolled into one. The first time I did it was was absolutely destroyed. My muscles were so sore that I couldn't walk properly for a week. My legs randomly buckled when I walked. It sucked, haha! But I was back the next Sunday and rockin' it.

My studio has some sort of special, non bacteria carpet. It's all high tech and stuff. The room can still smell at times, at the end of the day after 4-5 classes have happened.

You will leave the room looking like you fell in a lake. So much sweat! I've never, ever had a workout that gave me such fast results for toning and strength. Your heat will pound and you will simply balancing. It's incredible. Beats running on a treadmill as far as I'm concerned. My balance has improved by leaps and bounds and I'm finally able to touch my toes for the first time ever, including when I used to take ballet and jazz.

It's hot and humid. Sometimes you feel fine with the heat and other times you want to die. Sometimes you do every pose and other times you lay on the mat and fight the urge to run out into the cool air.

Every week, bit by bit, you improve on a pose that you struggle with and it feels like a huge accomplishment, because IT IS.

I bring two water bottles. I used to bring ice water despite recommendations that the water should be room temp and found that I became dizzy when the freezing water went down. I now do the room temp water. Much better.

You need two towels: one to lay over your mat and one to dry off with afterwards. I always rent two towels from my studio, it's only $2 and I don't have to deal with a sopping wet towel in my bag.

Try it, give it a week, see how you like it.

Oh, and I would most definitely NOT go into the room 10 minutes early. My classes are 90 minutes and one time I went in early to get myself relaxed. It didn't take long after the class started that I was regretting that decision! I was dying from the heat. Instead, I go into the room when I arrive, before I change into my yoga clothes, and I put my mat down. That way I get a good spot in the back. If you wait too close to class time you will be in an undesirable spot.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-14, 00:18

I think it's dangerous, BECAUSE of the heat. You couldnt PAY me to take a class in that atmosphere. Ashtanga Yoga generates heat in the body all by itself. You don't need to add in a superheated room - I think it could cause someone to become overheated, in a bad way. You couldn't walk properly for a week. But if you can acclimate and enjoy the workout, more power to you. Personally, I do think he's a crook, and I wouldn't give him my money. This is aside from the health questions.

Last edited by ImOnMyWay : Sat, Jan-18-14 at 00:24.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-14, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
I think it's dangerous, BECAUSE of the heat. You couldnt PAY me to take a class in that atmosphere. Ashtanga Yoga generates heat in the body all by itself. You don't need to add in a superheated room - I think it could cause someone to become overheated, in a bad way. You couldn't walk properly for a week. But if you can acclimate and enjoy the workout, more power to you. Personally, I do think he's a crook, and I wouldn't give him my money. This is aside from the health questions.

Well, to be fair, there's been many times that I worked out at a gym too hard and was stiff and sore for many days afterwards. I never had that problem with hot yoga after that initial first time. I just went too hard that first day.

That said, I don't particularily like Bikram as a person either, but I really love the program.

I get such a great stretch from the heated room.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 13:06

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I used to do Bikram's. I really liked it until I hurt myself pretty badly - not that you would or anyone else. I enjoyed the heat and I really got in good yoga shape doing Bikram's.

I came across this recently - no surprise really:

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2...xual-harassment
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyLC
I used to do Bikram's. I really liked it until I hurt myself pretty badly - not that you would or anyone else. I enjoyed the heat and I really got in good yoga shape doing Bikram's.

I came across this recently - no surprise really:

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2...xual-harassment

This guy is a false guru and a despicable human being.

The benefits of yoga come from the proper execution of the asanas themselves, and proper breathing techniques, not from his "special" ordering of them, or the superheated room. These are gimmicks to monetize what has always previously been a low paid profession.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaTX
It's a bizarrely addictive experience - there are days when you hate every minute of it and conversly, can't wait to go back.

I agree with this completely! I've been addicted since June!!