Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 20:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle2012
Now here is my question, as far as burger goes, if you buy the hamburger with greater fat content doesn't it just cook off?

My new favorite secret ingredient for ground meat patties and meatloaves is fresh-ground chia seed. Not only is it highly nutritious, it's gelatinous and absorbs a lot of liquid, including the fat in ground meat. Both qualities help hold the meat together and make it juicier, not to mention tastier. About 1/3 cup chia seed per lb. of ground meat is enough for me.

Grind the seeds in your coffee grinder.

NeanderPam, your additions are mouthwatering. Your DS needs to be sent to a LC re-education camp.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 21:18

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
My new favorite secret ingredient for ground meat patties and meatloaves is fresh-ground chia seed. Not only is it highly nutritious, it's gelatinous and absorbs a lot of liquid, including the fat in ground meat. Both qualities help hold the meat together and make it juicier, not to mention tastier. About 1/3 cup chia seed per lb. of ground meat is enough for me.

thanks for the tip! I've never tried chia seeds...except trying to grow them on those silly clay heads . I'll have to get some and try them with my next burger. Do they add any flavor to the meat? Have you ever tried them in a turkey patty?
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258.3/236.9/195 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%
Talking Adding fat makes a difference!

Thanks peoples for the responses NeanderPam: being new to LC, and trying to rid myself of some of the mainstream anti-fat beliefs, I kinda get where your DH is coming from. Adding more fat to my diet has made a huge difference to my nearly stalled induction. I'm getting it and excited again!

I am very hesitant about mentioning any thing about my search for fat and LC my friends and family though! I'm gonna just let them see the evidence of how it works in my weight lose. Yesterday my 12 year-old said, "Your face and skin look so much better than a couple months ago. Your face looked tired and red before and now it looks really nice. You look good for some reason." LOL He didn't notice the small weight loss that I have had, but did notice a healthier look. I didn't know that LC could do that! Pretty cool

Thanks again!

Elle
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 11:13

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

But, I have lost over 159 lbs. and kept it off for 12 years...my husband will NOT give up his carbs. And as he ages (as we all do) he is gaining weight, his lipid panels are crap and he just refuses to do LC.

I'm soon to be a nutritionist...and I am hesitant about telling everyone to 'lowcarb' before they know WHY they should. Those that will continually 'cheat' and eat sugar, grains, etc. and go back and forth ...that's not a good thing to do.

At the moment, I'm the person in the home who does the grocery buying, and the cooking...DH is 'lower carb' than HE even 'knows' heh heh...but I can't make him make good choices when he's away. That's up to him. But I WILL make him make good choices at home..he'll have no other 'option'.

Elle, your 12 yr. old noticing that!! Amazing!! Kids are SO smart...and they soak up information like little sponges soak up water, lol. My Grandsons all sit and talk with me about formulating their 'macro's and percentages and how strength training helps them (their Christmas gifts are sets of weights and benches and things ilke that and we just 'accessorize' every birthday)...and they actually figure out WHEN to add a carb, put it WITH a protein and cycle it around a training session. They are under 15 yrs. old!

Pam
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258.3/236.9/195 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default The pounds keep coming off with fat consumption!

Since I starting eating more fat I have lost over 4 pounds, that is in 4 days! I had an adult notice (as opposed to just my youngest son) that I have lost some weight today!

As of today I have lost 9 pounds and counting. I'm so excited! That includes going to a birthday dinner on Wednesday night and having a bit of cake! Fat works! lol

Pam: That is so cool about your grandkids! Your weight loss and maintenance is amazing, congratulations! Good luck on your continued journey with your husband!

Elle
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 266/247/186 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 24%

At first it felt so weird to have bacon and eggs for breakfast. Simply because that was not considered to be "healthy" on other weight loss programs that I've done in the past. I have gotten over my fear of eat fat :-)
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 266/247/186 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 24%

At first it felt so weird to have bacon and eggs for breakfast. Simply because that was not considered to be "healthy" on other weight loss programs that I've done in the past. I have gotten over my fear of eating fat :-)
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 21:58

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 208/201.8/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

From a few days ago:

Quote:
yarralea, you bring up a really good point! If the food manufacturer's are removing all the fat out of their products so they can sell them as "healthy" foods then that fat has to be replaced with something to make the food more palatable. So no fat, more often than not, means more sugar and sodium to up the flavor so people will buy it. And just think of the processing the food has to go through to remove the fat and people don't realize that the fat removal processes chemically change the original product and usually the end product is actually unhealthy.

Low fat milk is a really good example of this.

So is peanut butter. A few days ago, I doing some label comparisons when a woman behind me told her daughter to "get the reduced fat one." The daughter said "good idea" and grabbed it. As soon as they walked away, I took a look at the label of the "healthy" option they'd chosen and found a ton of sugar and an entire paragraph of ingredients. Then I looked closer and realized that I wasn't holding a jar of peanut butter after all. It was "Peanut Butter Spread." Blech.

And the ingredient list on the jar I chose?

"peanuts"

Yeah, give me the extra fat every time.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
thanks for the tip! I've never tried chia seeds...except trying to grow them on those silly clay heads . I'll have to get some and try them with my next burger. Do they add any flavor to the meat? Have you ever tried them in a turkey patty?

The short answer is "no" to both questions. The long answer is that my sense of smell isn't the best, and therefore, neither is my sense of taste. Your experience might be different.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 12:49
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I up the fat in ground meat by adding some pork breakfast sausage and cream. I used to use a little ground oatmeal as a binder, but the chia idea sounds good. Anyone tried flax?
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 13:01

The omega-3 oils in flax seed are what scientists call "heat-labile," meaning they'll go rancid quickly when exposed to heat. I'd be leery of using flax seed in any situation that exposed it to heat.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 19:40

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

So don't fear fat. Add it to every meal. When you are hungry, it means your body needs MORE FAT. I lost and I maintain at 80% fat. (If you aren't tracking, you don't know what you are doing, do you?) Your own percentages may vary, but the biggest mistake everyone makes, starting out low carb, is still listening to bad advice. Don't reach for the skinless chicken breast and the low-fat salad dressing. Don't fry without the right oil and don't run away from butter.

Thank you so much for this tip, it really helped! I thought surely I was eating high fat, but when I tracked it, it was more like 55% I was tracking on a website that didn't use percentages, and I wasn't reading the numbers right. Yesterday I logged the food I wanted to eat, starting with the protein I planned to have, then adding in the veges and then I added fat to each meal until I hit a reasonable calorie level and got my percentage to 70%. I had a tonne of butter on my dinner broccoli! And this morning, I was down half a pound.

I've had a lot of trouble getting my head around this, but I think I get it now. Basically, if I work out what protein I want, and what veges I want, I can plan my meals based on that (those amounts won't change much day to day) and then add fat until I get the calories and fat to where I want them. So if I want to play with the percentages, or my calories, I do so with the fat. I might be being naive at this stage of the game, but that's got to help me with maintenance, right? Since the protein and carb amounts don't add up all that much calorie wise, but are volume wise the larger quantities of food, I can raise or lower calories without too much change in the quantities I eat, because it'll come down to an extra spoonful of butter or oil or not.

I couldn't begin to fathom explaining it to someone, but it sure is tasty.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 00:43

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 199.0/179/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:46.8
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
After low carbing off and on for close to ten years I am finally getting it! Of course I am guilty off being more off than on, and sadly I am guilty on being a tuna and vitamin tablet zero carb, low fat eater. For a long time.
I am now 6 kilos over the weight I was before I started Atkins ten years ago.
I have bought a tub of coconut oil today and am ready to really banish the low fat eating that I did for the ten years prior to the last ten years.
* must get a copy of the art and the science.....
Any advice anyone wants to gladly kick my way, I'm really to digest it. I didn't worry about fat for much of my low (except when I was on tuna and diet soda with a babybel and a vitamin tablet diet, so I need to become informed about adding additional fat to my diet.
Cheers for this thread, timely for me.

OMG!!! I have done LC like that before, I thought I was doing it right then wondered why I was not losing weight, I thought that Babybel, tuna and diet coke were perfect!!
I went and did a bit of shopping today and bought some cream (I am going to make butter with half of it) and avocado, some salad leaves, full fat mayo, and all the ingredients for Oopsie rolls! I am getting some coconut oil at the weekend.
I am going to be spending a lot of time reading through the newbie threads, I obviously missed something the first time round and want to get it right this time!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 00:53
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusting
Just saved the bacon drippings from this morning's breakfast. Great for sauteeing my green beans tonight!
i have been into a lot of salads with warm bacon dressing, lately..
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 07:54

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
After low carbing off and on for close to ten years I am finally getting it! Of course I am guilty off being more off than on, and sadly I am guilty on being a tuna and vitamin tablet zero carb, low fat eater. For a long time.

The first time I tried LC was about 6-7 years ago and I did exactly what you did...zero carb, high protein and very low fat. I did lose weight but 3 months in developed kidney issues. In retrospect, I really didn't understand LC at all even though I had skimmed through Atkins. My daily intake was almost pure protein and I ignored drinking water...I stuck with drinking just coffee.

The doctors scared the h*ll out of me and blamed my kidney issues on LC eating so I gave it up and gained all the weight back. I now believe that my eating habits at that time did cause my kidney issues...I was dehydrated and eating lots of protein.

I now believe that if I had followed LC correctly, as in EAT FAT and DRINK WATER, I would not have had the issues I had.

My advice to all newbies is, if you decide to eat this way, DO YOUR REASEARCH! Make sure you truly understand the 3 keys to LC eating which are high fat, moderate protein and controlled carb intake. That is the winning combination and you won't know if you are meeting that combination unless you track what you're eating, at least for awhile so you get a sense of what you need to be eating to reach those ratios.