Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 10:47
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Losing a Friend

So I am down almost to 50% of my goal. I've been at a stall for a bit now. I am working on that.

In journalling at home, it really hit me today that I am losing my best friend. It is a bad toxic friend - yes.

My question is - In moving to the latter end of my weight loss journey, how do I cope emotionally with this so that I don't go back? How did you do it?

I hope that doesn't sound corny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 11:10

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Hmmm.... first, congratulations on your progress! Food is something so difficult for people to understand, myself included. I was always given a cookie if I was a good girl or ice cream if I did well on a test. It was always a reward. I learned to adopt a different reward system (a manicure, a few hours of me time, etc). Thats much more rewarding to me. Unfortunately the "reward" foods taste so darned good. As long as I don't treat myself to it, I'm OK. ONE BITE never works for me because I remember my affair with that treat and all the good memories come flooding back. NO BITES! Thats what I try to do but I am not perfect. The trick is to know your weakness.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 08:07
Give A Damn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprils0909
ONE BITE never works for me because I remember my affair with that treat and all the good memories come flooding back. NO BITES! Thats what I try to do but I am not perfect. The trick is to know your weakness.

That is a very good point. I cannot allow myself to have 'one bite' either. Its like a really messed up love affair

Thank you
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 08:08
Give A Damn

BF:

[QUOTE=aprils0909]QUOTE]

Congratulations to you too!! You met your goal That is so exciting!!

#5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi, I keep a picture of me at 275lbs, it is almost like a scared straight method, I did that to myself and I am not going to do that again.....
I also reward myself, if I reallllllllllly want something (NOT FOOD!!!!!!!) I can have it when I get to a certain weight. When I get to 150 I want another tattoo.

Take care
Astrid
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 09:51

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
Congratulations to you too!! You met your goal That is so exciting!!

Thanks, this weekend at my parents set me back, but I'll be back at-goal by Thursday or Friday. Just in time to start the weekend, my hardest time of the week. I appreciate the support!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 10:19
Give A Damn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid
I also reward myself, if I reallllllllllly want something (NOT FOOD!!!!!!!)

That is the key isnt it?? Changing our reward system from food to something else constructive I keep out on the top of my dresser a pair of jeans I wore when dh and I were dating. *sigh* I am making progress with them. At the start they came to my knees. Now I can get them to my butt, but not over my hips. Pretty soon I'll be inches away from doing the button up

Way to go on your weight loss Astrid
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 10:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

astrid said:
Quote:

I keep a picture of me at 275lbs, it is almost like a scared straight method, I did that to myself and I am not going to do that again.....

Now that's a very good idea! Cute, avatar there.

Quote:

it really hit me today that I am losing my best friend. It is a bad toxic friend - yes.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the part of you that made you feel comfort was found in food?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 11:52

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 198/137/120 Female 5'3
BF:25.2
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprils0909
Hmmm.... first, congratulations on your progress! Food is something so difficult for people to understand, myself included. I was always given a cookie if I was a good girl or ice cream if I did well on a test. It was always a reward. I learned to adopt a different reward system (a manicure, a few hours of me time, etc). Thats much more rewarding to me. Unfortunately the "reward" foods taste so darned good. As long as I don't treat myself to it, I'm OK. ONE BITE never works for me because I remember my affair with that treat and all the good memories come flooding back. NO BITES! Thats what I try to do but I am not perfect. The trick is to know your weakness.

First of all, congrats on hitting your goals! Wow, that is awesome! You must feel wonderful (despite a "setback" at your folks!) Secondly, what a clever analogy about the "toxic relationship", I like that. Is that how you keep yourself on track with the rewards system? I'm thinking that might also work for me in terms of spending money on food, I could use it towards things that I enjoy like mani/pedis, facials, concert tickets, etc.

Astrid, I also like your suggestion about the photo. You have had made such progress, it's obvious it works as a reminder. Thank you ladies and keep up the good work!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 16:02
Give A Damn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Quote:

it really hit me today that I am losing my best friend. It is a bad toxic friend - yes.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the part of you that made you feel comfort was found in food?

Yes that is what I mean. Everything I do to celebrate, mourne etc I find my comfort with food. Its where I turn to feel good, feel better, feel sad, drown sorrows etc... Its the friend that most normal people have - that actually responds back!! Rather than just giving me an extra few pounds