Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 11:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

To train for hot-state, you have to be in hot-state. Cold-state and hot-state are like being two different people. The military knows how to train people for hot-state by doing stuff like sleep deprivation, stress, exhaustion, fear to get you into a nice hot state. Then they see how you react. Most of us can't safely practice that.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 11:44
Experimenter

BF:

Today at Costco their meat depart was reduced by about half. Usually they have a whole long freezer devoted to fresh chicken. Today they had just a few packages left and people practically pushing you out of the way to get them. Lots of fish though. I'm going to see if I can get my cat to eat tilapia.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 11:57
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
That is why it's such a good idea to practice non-worry during the cold state - then it becomes natural when shit hits the fan.

Did i not present some decent ideas above on "what to do if there's a meat shortage?"

Buy cheap cuts, process your own, waste none?

Fortunately we're on the internet and it's pretty impersonal. Take what you find useful and ignore the rest I'm certainly trying not to offend or take this thread off-topic.

Happy Wednesday!

Happy Thursday! I don't agree with you on the first thing but let's let it go.

Living in Southern CA might be a bit different from where you are. We don't really have many sources of homegrown protein, although that may have to change at this rate. Land is very expensive here so protein gets raised elsewhere and shipped in. And most super markets only give you very limited selection of what sort of protein you can buy. Like, you can't buy tripe, or kidneys, or heart, or tongue unless you go to a Chinese or Latin market and then you can buy all kinds of interesting things. I haven't been since the pandemic hit, so not sure what they've got available. Actually, there's a nice Latin market I should go check out. They've got cool stuff like oxtails.

I did start looking into raising meat rabbits, but I'd have to find someone to butcher them. And I think I'd have to be very desperate to do that. I don't have that big of a yard.

In my situation I need a steady but small supply for me and my cats. I'm not sure what will happen to my cat with IBD if I have to go back to commercial food. It could be a death sentence for him.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 15:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I have bought powdered butter and sour cream, dehydrated blueberries, and am buying fruit on sale to wash and freeze for future use.
I have a bunch of fresh blueberries I froze. And I wasn't even aware of powdered butter or sour cream, but I do have powdered heavy cream and recently bought powdered whole eggs also. I also have Spam. Hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta so.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 16:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I constantly buy berries on sale and freeze them. They do not keep in the fridge, thaw quickly, and are fantastic mixed with sour cream That's my new, easy, whipped cream.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 16:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol, my youngest loves Spam grilled over a fire.

Stopped at Hannafords yesterday and today. 5pm-6 and both times meat display 50% empty. Salt pork in abundance which is normally a rare item.

Shaved beef frozen in 1-2 # pkgs, just chunks hacked off.

Was able to get beef fat today, none yesterday.

Specialty meat counter still closed. Fresh fish counter is now closed.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 07:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
And most super markets only give you very limited selection of what sort of protein you can buy.

I just found Cacique brand Pork Chorizo at Walmart - I had a coupon. The ingredients amused me: pork salivary glands, lymph nodes and fat, chorizo seasoning, pork, vinegar, soy grits, sodium nitrite. It was cheap enough that if I find I don't like it the chickens can eat it.

It reminded me of a frankfurter mom used to buy when I was a teenager - the ingredient list started out with hog lips. I'd freak out my sensitive sister by reading the list out loud.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 08:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
It reminded me of a frankfurter mom used to buy when I was a teenager - the ingredient list started out with hog lips. I'd freak out my sensitive sister by reading the list out loud.

I used to work in Queens, NY. A popular sausage sandwich sold on the food truck had this for the sausage part: "whole hog, spices, salt." Talk about your nose-to-tail
  #54   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 18:33

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

There was an article in PennLive today - the president of one of the local chain grocery stores said that they've removed the purchase limits on meat, because the supply chains are improving again now that meat packing plants that closed due to covid are opening again.

They're not getting every cut of every meat yet, but they're getting enough that they no longer felt any need to limit meat purchases.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 19:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

That’s excellent news. I’ve only been out shopping twice during this mess. I’ll check local Walmart tomorrow. I could use a few things. Like meat!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 19:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

My favorite store for meat & produce stopped putting limits on the amount you can buy. This week bone-in chicken breast halves were on sale. I don't buy them too often but the price was irresistible. At the beginning of the sale, no mention of a limit. In the middle they said 2 packages only. Then on the last day no limit - and there was plenty of chicken. Same with ground beef but the price has gone up.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 20:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm noticing meat inventories are increasing. It was hit and miss at certain stores, and now it seems mostly hits; although, I agree that the prices are somewhat higher. States are taking the initiative to transition to more normal activities. That will move things in the right direction.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 21:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The good news is that the price at the auctions are stable which means the market is stable. With rumors of such an excess of cattle, I expected to see prices drop but that didn't happen and I've been checking for three weeks.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 22:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

That is all good news.... especially as the update today has 10,000 workers at 3 processing plants affected by the covid. It was a quick vague news piece that led me to beleive the meat supply is bottle necked.

The food pantry ,again, had no meats. They are supplied with nearly outdated meats( which are frozen until distribution day). So no meats are reaching expiration dates.

Will be checking store tomorrow. Looking at prices and availability.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 03:13

BF:

I have long avoided Tyson and certain other companies just because I did not trust them to keep up standards. And it turns out, they do not.