Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 21:07

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Hi there hope you do not mind me jumping in here
I love Dr Schwarzbein's principles and have totally mixed them into the premat phase of Atkins ..I have opted not to loose any weight right now (I am 51 and want to level out on something it might as well be my weight) so adding carbs per meal has worked very well for me ..

I get very depressed and cranky on Induction level carbs ...never realized how much so until people at work tried to force feed me an apple one day!

I feel very good at 20-30 carbs per meal and maintain my weight there ..with out the urge to over eat ..as long as those carbs do not come from sugar or white flour ...(and sometimes they do I live in this world now and try very hard to enjoy things in moderation) ..the only time I binge eat is after deprivation ..so if I do not deprive myself then I do not binge!

I have spent my entire life trying to loose weight it is nice for once to just be trying to maintain it as it is

it is kind of an Atkinsbein principle for me

thanks for the moment!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 22:55

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I have One Adreanl Gland, lost the other to a tumor and cancer, stupid bugger, well any way I eat 30 carbs a day, but can do none or 20. I feel fine, and even better. When I up then I feel like crap, feel like I hava flu bug.
I think alot of the induction flu is caused from a life of crabs and sugar, its a shock to the body.
I never did induction, I feared what I have read on side effects, and I am the Queen of side effects.....
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 22:56

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDelight
Hi there hope you do not mind me jumping in here
I love Dr Schwarzbein's principles and have totally mixed them into the premat phase of Atkins ..I have opted not to loose any weight right now (I am 51 and want to level out on something it might as well be my weight) so adding carbs per meal has worked very well for me ..

I get very depressed and cranky on Induction level carbs ...never realized how much so until people at work tried to force feed me an apple one day!

I feel very good at 20-30 carbs per meal and maintain my weight there ..with out the urge to over eat ..as long as those carbs do not come from sugar or white flour ...(and sometimes they do I live in this world now and try very hard to enjoy things in moderation) ..the only time I binge eat is after deprivation ..so if I do not deprive myself then I do not binge!

I have spent my entire life trying to loose weight it is nice for once to just be trying to maintain it as it is

it is kind of an Atkinsbein principle for me

thanks for the moment!

Hey Delight,

Congrats on your weight loss and feel free to jump right on in! That is phenomenal...if I can get to that weight and maintain I would be HAPPY!

I'm enjoying the program too, feeling very well on the program and learning that I don't have to restrict everything...I've had 1/2 an apple baked in the microwave with cinnamon for two days and it makes me feel so much better! I am not having any cravings and have more energy.... Today I made a recipe in her book pork chops in a cream sauce...loved it!

Again congrats on your weight loss...

Hey Mouse...for me it was more than induction flu. I was on the plan for a long while and my depression was worse and it took me a long time to figure out that it was the carb level... Of course, I was trying to stay at induction level instead of raising it as Atkins suggests because it worked before and I lost very well in the past...

At this point I want to get the weight off but need to feel better while doing it...we'll see how it goes!

Good luck to you!

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sat, Jul-11-09 at 23:03.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello hello.......... I'm home! We had a wonderful trip, fast and furious, but good. I ate mostly salads, Atkins protein drinks, nuts and apples. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, though I did gain a pound or two, which was most distressing after all that salad! Sounds like everyone is doing well on the Schwarzbein plan, I love the Atkinsbein Principle, HiDelight! Whatever works, right? I'm going to have to try one of TJ's baked apples.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 16:51

Hey welcome back!

It's that time of the month so I feel like I've gained a ton, hopefully not! My clothes were much looser last week so that was very positive! I need to do more upper body exercises so starting to do pushups to help with the extremely flabby arms!

The baked apples really hit the spot so I'll probably have one with dinner and the cinnamon really helps to alleviate my insulin resistance symptoms as well!

TJ
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 06:06
Registered Member

BF:

Pushups, huh? That's hard work. Small weights might help, too. I have the same problem, not just upper arms, all over. The older you get, the worse it gets. I tried that baked apple. It was great! Thanks for the suggestion. Yesterday for lunch I had half a can of tuna mixed with half a can of green beans with mayonaise. Someone on this forum said they often have that for lunch and liked it. They were right, it was surprisingly good. I'm for anything that is easy, affordable and delicious!
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
Pushups, huh? That's hard work. Small weights might help, too. I have the same problem, not just upper arms, all over. The older you get, the worse it gets. I tried that baked apple. It was great! Thanks for the suggestion. Yesterday for lunch I had half a can of tuna mixed with half a can of green beans with mayonaise. Someone on this forum said they often have that for lunch and liked it. They were right, it was surprisingly good. I'm for anything that is easy, affordable and delicious!

Okay, what a coincidence I made tuna salad and am having that for lunch but the green beans...perhaps another day lol...mostly because I had them two days in a row! Today I'll have me some spinach with it and 1/2 sweet potatoe...

Happy to hear you liked the baked apple...

TJ
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 13:01

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Since I have read the books now, and have the cookbook, I am LOVING this plan!

It is so great to be able to have more carbs. Just had rice almond crackers with cheddar (one of my fav snacks!!)....10 crackers is 15 carbs!!!

My fav salad is mixed greens with raw grated beets and carrots and diced fresh pear....soooooo good and it's all allowed!!!! I missed fruit, and carrots and beets.....LOL!!!

I feel mentally more alert with the extra carbs, and not as crazy moody mommy.....I think I am sleeping better too!!

Thank you Dr Swartzbein!!

If anyone is worried about the carbs...don't....because you are always eating them balanced and only a max of 20 total carbs per meal.....you are not over doing it.....I have not been craving more.....I finally found "balance".
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 18:31

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndelacourt
Since I have read the books now, and have the cookbook, I am LOVING this plan!

It is so great to be able to have more carbs. Just had rice almond crackers with cheddar (one of my fav snacks!!)....10 crackers is 15 carbs!!!

My fav salad is mixed greens with raw grated beets and carrots and diced fresh pear....soooooo good and it's all allowed!!!! I missed fruit, and carrots and beets.....LOL!!!

I feel mentally more alert with the extra carbs, and not as crazy moody mommy.....I think I am sleeping better too!!

Thank you Dr Swartzbein!!

If anyone is worried about the carbs...don't....because you are always eating them balanced and only a max of 20 total carbs per meal.....you are not over doing it.....I have not been craving more.....I finally found "balance".

Happy to hear that you are loving the plan! It helps to be able to add some of the things that you enjoy, even if it is a smaller amount sometimes! It works for me too! I missed fruit and try to have something that I enjoy...this week it has been cherries...yum!

TJ
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 19:11
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

Wow Ndelacourt, you sound so enthusiastic. I have book one, The Schwarzbein Principle, but not book 2. Your enthusiasm makes me want to get book 2 and read it. I've been struggling a lot lately. I want to eat all the time. Its a compulsion for me and right now its out of control. I think perhaps its because of the death of someone very dear to me. Its what I do when I get upset, eat. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, and I'm also trying very hard to stick to healthy food. Like this afternoon, instead of opening a box of my husbands Little Debbie Nutty Bars, I made some sugar free pudding and had that with sugar free cool whip. I guess that's better then having sugar, but not by much. Anyway, maybe I'll order book 2 and see if I can get some insights about how to control these dad gum cravings. Emotional eating is the pits.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 20:01

Thumbs up

Quote:
Wow Ndelacourt, you sound so enthusiastic. I have book one, The Schwarzbein Principle, but not book 2. Your enthusiasm makes me want to get book 2 and read it. I've been struggling a lot lately. I want to eat all the time. Its a compulsion for me and right now its out of control. I think perhaps its because of the death of someone very dear to me. Its what I do when I get upset, eat. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, and I'm also trying very hard to stick to healthy food. Like this afternoon, instead of opening a box of my husbands Little Debbie Nutty Bars, I made some sugar free pudding and had that with sugar free cool whip. I guess that's better then having sugar, but not by much. Anyway, maybe I'll order book 2 and see if I can get some insights about how to control these dad gum cravings. Emotional eating is the pits.

Hey Anni,

Sorry to hear about the death of your loved one!

Regarding the eating and cravings I can tell you that black strap molasses...unsulfured...Plantation brand has really helped me with that! I initially took 1 T. daily for two weeks and used it as my carb...now I take it about 3 times a week again counting the carb... I really have to give it the credit for helpiing me with the cravings as well as eliminating SUGAR! If I want something sweet or a treat which is more the case I have fruit immediately AFTER my meal...

I know you're going through a difficult time, but you did a great thing by not eating pure sugar!!! It's a start...one day at a time!

TJ
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 20:29

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have been sick, with a really sore throat, so at nighttime I have been taking a tsp of raw honey....really helps soothe the throat....maybe that is why I am having an easier time with cravings! LOL!
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 21:36

You can check out earthclinic for some information regarding black strap molasses and sugar cravings...

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/molasses8.html!

I actually stumbled across it myself but it did the job!

TJ
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 06:26
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much for your suggestions and your support. I put molasses on my shopping list and I just finished the last of my raw honey so maybe I'll get some of that, too. You are so right TJ, I have to take it one day at a time and recognize this miserable addiction for what it is. I look at normal people and wonder what it must be like to be like that, to actually feel full and satisfied for hours after a meal. Even on my best days I have to fight the urge to mindlessly eat. I thought I had things pretty well under control until now. Funny how you can go along thinking everything is ok and then the rug gets pulled out from underneath you. Suddenly that never ending food addiction rears its ugly head again. Its a lucky thing alcohol isn't my drug of choice or I'd be a slurring, wobbling, obnoxious drunk.

Ndelacourt, did you enjoy Schwarzbein's book 2 as much as book 1? One reviewer said it made her question everything she read in book one. Did you have a similar reaction to book 2?
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 10:30

Quote:
Thank you so much for your suggestions and your support. I put molasses on my shopping list and I just finished the last of my raw honey so maybe I'll get some of that, too. You are so right TJ, I have to take it one day at a time and recognize this miserable addiction for what it is. I look at normal people and wonder what it must be like to be like that, to actually feel full and satisfied for hours after a meal. Even on my best days I have to fight the urge to mindlessly eat. I thought I had things pretty well under control until now. Funny how you can go along thinking everything is ok and then the rug gets pulled out from underneath you. Suddenly that never ending food addiction rears its ugly head again. Its a lucky thing alcohol isn't my drug of choice or I'd be a slurring, wobbling, obnoxious drunk.

Ndelacourt, did you enjoy Schwarzbein's book 2 as much as book 1? One reviewer said it made her question everything she read in book one. Did you have a similar reaction to book 2?

No problem, I thoroughly understand it can be extremely difficult with food addictions! When I'm stressed I find myself standing in front of the open frig...lately I think about whether I am hungry or not and usually the answer is no! Usually I am frustrated, bored, or extremely stressed so I have been making myself go outside and garden or go for a walk! It seems to take my mind off of the situation and helps me to work through it without eating...old habits are hard to break!

You'll get there...this is ALL RECENT FOR ME!

TJ