Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 13:08

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

My DiL let me know this morning that Walmart is offering free no-contact pickup of orders. Order through their app, go to the store and let them know you are there, open your trunk, and they will come out and place your order in the trunk with no physical contact.

I was running low on a few things (mainly cheese, cream, and butter) so decided to place an order. They had TONS of meats available, including a whole bunch of grass-fed beef options, and there was no limit on placing items in your cart. I didn't get much meat because my freezer is already pretty full without much room for more. But I hope if I need to restock on meat later I'll still have options.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 13:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
My DiL let me know this morning that Walmart is offering free no-contact pickup of orders. Order through their app, go to the store and let them know you are there, open your trunk, and they will come out and place your order in the trunk with no physical contact.

I was running low on a few things (mainly cheese, cream, and butter) so decided to place an order. They had TONS of meats available, including a whole bunch of grass-fed beef options, and there was no limit on placing items in your cart. I didn't get much meat because my freezer is already pretty full without much room for more. But I hope if I need to restock on meat later I'll still have options.

Yes, isn't that great?
I did it last week to order a 40lb bag of dog food and 20lbs of cat food. No muss no fuss...
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 19:02

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I stopped by the local Walmart (first time out to grocery store since March 23rd) to see the meat shortage in our neck of the woods.

Consider buying bulk and processing it yourself. The local DID have low supplies of small packages of meat and also suggestion to limit purchase to one per "species".

Pork, Beef and Eggs in my small basket...

I'll probably need to stop by again in June sometime to refresh.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 20:27

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I saw a suggestion on FB today about where to get meat if the stores don't have any - they suggested buying from your local 4-H club whose livestock shows have been cancelled for the year.

Of course you'd need to find a butcher to process the meat for you, then there's also the issue that beef or pork on the hoof is a LOT of meat - you may need to buy a really big freezer, and/or split the meat with friends.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 20:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I stopped by the local Walmart (first time out to grocery store since March 23rd) to see the meat shortage in our neck of the woods.

Consider buying bulk and processing it yourself. The local DID have low supplies of small packages of meat and also suggestion to limit purchase to one per "species".

Pork, Beef and Eggs in my small basket...

I'll probably need to stop by again in June sometime to refresh.

Nice haul Thud!
That should keep you stocked with meat for a while.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 22:04

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

So Thud, how do you plan to cook that brisket? BBQ it all at once on a smoker? Use a slow-cooker? Low and slow in the oven? Or do you have recipes for cooking small amounts at a time?

I ask because I dearly love BBQed brisket but have never bought one to cook at home because I can't imagine what I'd do with that much meat all at once. Share your plans pretty please....
  #37   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 08:08

BF:

Hi Bev, glad to share. Meat shortage ideas I executed.

a) Go buy meat that others don't want, or can't physically handle - there's plenty where I looked. I guess I was lucky.

b) learn to use a knife and cutting board - be careful. Use SHARP knife

3) accept and learn to eat "inferior" cuts of meat and organs.

4) waste NOTHING

Summary:

Processed pork shoulder and bagged into 300-340g bags into freezer. Learned how to skin that shoulder (i did waste this next time I Might try to make porkskin cracklins' or footballs. Put bone into Insta-Pot and make bone broth. Super good! (see video below for jelly like broth)

Processed 15lb+ beef brisket into 300-340g bags into freezer. Trimmed and collected fat to make tallow and beef cracklins' First time ever for this - learn to use Google and Insta-pot and you've got it made! Cracklin's so good I could hardly stop eating them. My blood glucose soared this morning after eating so much fat last night.

I don't have to buy butter now for probably the next 2 months with all the fat from the brisket rendered down. I also plan on bringing these ideas forward as the corona virus thing wanes - save money and gain skill.

I'll admit tho, eating rare, fat and highly concentrated connective tissue of the brisket is a challenge for the jaw. I think I get full quicker on it as it take longer to eat. Also need to floss after each meal

Pictures below with brief explanations:

At work in the kitchen on beef brisket

Bones from pork shoulder go into Insta-Pot

Pealing back the FAT on the pork bone broth (short movie link below this)

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2020misc/porkBoneBroth.mp4

Saving all the fat and trimmings this is my fist stab at rendering fat and making fat snack cracklins' - so good!

There you go. How to survive the impending doom - I might have to go back to the store in a month to restock. A lot changes in a month. Relax It could be better, or a lot worse. It's basically completely out of your control.

A great Chinese Daoist was once asked to summarize all of this learning and outlook. He simply said,

"Worry is preposterous"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crRSUnbVi48
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 08:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The thread was meant to collect ideas.
It is easy to be calm and philosophical from a "cold state". Much harder to do when the brown is actually hitting the fan. That's called the empathy gap. https://www.npr.org/2019/11/27/7834...ns-transform-us

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, May-06-20 at 08:38.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 08:38

BF:

Sounds like you and your cat are going to make it!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 08:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The thread was meant to collect ideas.
It is easy to be calm and philosophical from a "cold state". Much harder to do when the brown is actually hitting the fan. That's called the empathy gap. https://www.npr.org/2019/11/27/7834...ns-transform-us

That is why it's such a good idea to practice non-worry during the cold state - then it becomes natural when shit hits the fan.

Did i not present some decent ideas above on "what to do if there's a meat shortage?"

Buy cheap cuts, process your own, waste none?

Fortunately we're on the internet and it's pretty impersonal. Take what you find useful and ignore the rest I'm certainly trying not to offend or take this thread off topic.

Happy Wednesday!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 10:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thud, nice effort.

I store rendered fat in freezer in small mason jars, not qt size as those are not freezer safe. (Ask me how I know.....)

Making crackings is a skill..... takes lots of practice, and salt.

Pork, beef and lamb taste different. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, May-06-20 at 11:04.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 14:16

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I agree... buy the cuts that no one else wants or knows what to do with, and then USE every bit of it, and you're much more likely to be able to keep meat on the table even in times of scarcity.

Our local grocery store is now limiting fresh meat purchases to no more than 5 "items" per trip and their online shopping site no longer shows larger packages of most kinds of meat. Eg., No more 5 or 10 lb chubbs of hamburger, just 1 lb and 3 lb packages. No more 20 lb turkeys. No more 20 lb briskets. 12 oz and 16oz pkgs of bacon only. They are still listing full hams but that is about it for any meat in amounts greater than 3 lbs.

Fortunately, at this point my freezer is packed pretty full. I'll probably continue to purchase smaller amounts of meat as we eat what we have, to try and keep the freezer full against even more severe shortages that, I suspect, are coming down the pike.

I've always bought cheaper cuts of meat in large sizes then cut them up into smaller chunks before freezing so had a nearly full freezer before any of this started.

I haven't been deliberately rendering the fat tho, or making cracklings. And, while I make bone broth sometimes, I haven't always been consistent about doing so... was often easier to just buy a box of bone broth when I wanted some. Will have to start making SURE that I get maximum value out of every bit of the meat I have.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 04:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Fortunately I like ham.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 04:55

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

We are lucky to have a freezer that still has a good amount left of a half cow we purchased last year.
But to be safe, began to finally put together a more serious pantry - been buying tuna packed in olive oil, canned chicken breast in water from Costco, and while some of you may go "ew", spam. I happen to love jalapeno spam for rm 'breakfast for dinner', and their low sodium version, their with bacon version. I understand why many will not find it a healthy item, but that is part of what I've bought just in case.

I am paying attention to when Pulled Pork in cans (no sugars) from Costco will again be available and plan to add that as well.

I have bought powdered butter and sour cream, dehydrated blueberries, and am buying fruit on sale to wash and freeze for future use.
I am also getting ahead on common otc meds we use and the supplements I use to combat my cancer.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 04:56

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
That is why it's such a good idea to practice non-worry during the cold state - then it becomes natural when shit hits the fan.

Did i not present some decent ideas above on "what to do if there's a meat shortage?"

Buy cheap cuts, process your own, waste none?

Fortunately we're on the internet and it's pretty impersonal. Take what you find useful and ignore the rest I'm certainly trying not to offend or take this thread off topic.

Happy Wednesday!

Thud, your photos and explanations were awesome, found it very interesting and on topic!