Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:46

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default In spite of the commercials, study shows fiber cereals do NOT protect against cancer

N Engl J Med 2000 Apr 20;342(16):1156-62

Lack of effect of a high-fiber cereal supplement on the recurrence of colorectal adenomas.
Phoenix Colon Cancer Prevention Physicians' Network.

Alberts DS, Martinez ME, Roe DJ, Guillen-Rodriguez JM, Marshall JR, van Leeuwen JB, Reid ME, Ritenbaugh C, Vargas PA, Bhattacharyya AB, Earnest DL, Sampliner RE.

Arizona Cancer Center, Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson 85724-5024, USA. dalberts~azcc.arizona.edu

BACKGROUND: The risks of colorectal cancer and adenoma, the precursor lesion, are believed to be influenced by dietary factors. Epidemiologic evidence that cereal fiber protects against colorectal cancer is equivocal. We conducted a randomized trial to determine whether dietary supplementation with wheat-bran fiber reduces the rate of recurrence of colorectal adenomas. METHODS: We randomly assigned 1429 men and women who were 40 to 80 years of age and who had had one or more histologically confirmed colorectal adenomas removed within three months before recruitment began to a supervised program of dietary supplementation with either high amounts (13.5 g per day) or low amounts (2 g per day) of wheat-bran fiber. The primary end point was the presence or absence of new adenomas at the time of follow-up colonoscopy. Subjects and physicians, including colonoscopists, were unaware of the group assignments. RESULTS: Of the 1303 subjects who completed the study, 719 had been randomly assigned to the high-fiber group and 584 to the low-fiber group. The median times from randomization to the last follow-up colonoscopy were 34 months in the high-fiber group and 36 months in the low-fiber group. By the time of the last follow-up colonoscopy, at least one adenoma had been identified in 338 subjects in the high-fiber group (47.0 percent) and in 299 subjects in the low-fiber group (51.2 percent). The multivariate adjusted odds ratio for recurrent adenoma in tile high-fiber group, as compared with the low-fiber group, was 0.88 (95 percent confidence interval, 0.70 to 1.11; P=0.28), and the relative risk of recurrence according to the number of adenomas, in the high-fiber group as compared with the low-fiber group, was 0.99 (95 percent confidence interval, 0.71 to 1.36; P=0.93). CONCLUSIONS: As used in this study, a dietary supplement of wheat-bran fiber does not protect against recurrent colorectal adenomas.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/217/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 40%

That is an interesting article. I don't know much about cancer, I have read some articles though. In general I thought from what I have read, If cancer has been found in a person, and even though it has been removed either through surgery or chemotherapy isn't that person always at an increased risk of reoccurence?
Like I said, I have not studied cancer research, so please feel free to enlighten me or correct me.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 15:59

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, you make a good point. Cancer is likely to recur in patients with previous cancer.

I just wanted to make the point that eating cereal wasn't necessarily the best way to prevent cancer as some would have us believe.