Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 176/172/172
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default The Pritikin Center Press Release

The authors of this press release against Gary Taubes' NY Times article seem to have little knowledge about nutritional biochemistry. It DOES NOT MATTER if one eats a bowl of white sugar or a bowl of brown rice--in the end ALL OF IT BREAKS DOWN TO GLUCOSE IN THE BODY. Yes, you do get some vitamins and minerals from the rice (or beans or oatmeal, etc), but at rock bottom, all carbs, complex or simple, eventually break down to glucose and glucose is sugar with all of its negative effects.

The idea that there is no research data supporting high fat diets is a lie: Haven't these people heard of nutritional anthropology? There are MANY accounts of native peoples around the world eating a high protein/animal fat diet with no chronic diseases reported.

You can see my low-carb article for more on this, as well as my vegetarian article--myths numbers 5-9.

Low-Carb Article: http://www.powerhealth.net/articles6.htm
Veggie Myths Article: http://www.powerhealth.net/selected_articles.htm

GOD! People like this really piss me off!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%
Default Vegetarianism and High BP

Hi Dr. Byrnes

Can you point me towards any specific information concerning high blood pressure and vegetarianism.

I have a 55 "healthy" female relative, who has completly gone low fat, low cholesterol vegetarian diet wise. She has high blood pressure and has been taking medication for several years but to no avail. Now her "practising" physician is trying a combination of drugs....

Any help?

Vonnovich