Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 16:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default This Is Scary: Manufactured Anti-LC Hype

Here is an important modern media literacy lesson.

If it wasn't already obvious to you how almost everything you see on FB and crappy click-bait sites is not factual news but opinion pieces and PR, have a little look at this.

I saw this earlier retweeted/commented on by Nina Teicholz, Tim Noakes, and other keto-supportive tweeps.

Here's the unrolled tweet thread from John Zahorik

Please don't spell it out (the thing that sounds like key toe kroch) so at least we won't be contributing to it when Google indexes this site.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

not as scary as "studies show low carb diets cause atrial fibrillation"! I don't even want to look at that.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 05:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I saw it once, dismissed it as clickbait. Saw it again, in some big woman's magazine site, didn't want to even bring it up. Really? You're going there?

This is how urban legends get created, I guess. Propaganda.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 06:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I saw the article on Huff Post yesterday about yet another supposed reason LC is terrible for you and with a big sigh (here we go again ) went ahead and read it. Of course the title of the article with the accompanying picture, and the information in the article don't really indicate any reason for it to be a problem associated with LC. Truthfully, if it was associated with any diet, it would far more likely be associated with a high carb diet, since high blood sugar feeds yeast, a much more likely reason for that odor.

But that doesn't keep the alarming headlines from making it sound like it is due to all that horrible, morally reprehensible meat and fat you eat on LC.

The internet has given us much easier access to information... and millions of profitable ways to spread mis-information.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 07:16

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Dr. Ken Berry refutes these stories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5idKKh34g

Last edited by DancinGurl : Thu, Mar-07-19 at 08:31. Reason: to be more civil
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 07:42

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

P.S. What is really scary- certain diabetes drugs said to be causing genital gangrene as well as increased risk for toe &/or foot amputations.

Last edited by DancinGurl : Thu, Mar-07-19 at 08:30. Reason: to be more civil
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 08:15

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

First of all, I've been grateful for all the years I've been visiting this site for the civility maintained by the moderators, and by genuinely helpful (verifiable) information. So...thank you. Participants: Become a contributor! Keep it going.

As an older adult (read: obstinate septuagenarian) I have yet to acquire a Twitter account and still use email. Heck, we don't have cable and don't watch tv. How Stone Age is that?? I keep a FB account because that's a handy way to keep up with certain friends and family. I use text for the same reason. But clickbait? A waste of time. But they sure know how to make it tempting.

Now I know about...well, the topic at hand. I hadn't noticed it as a problem in all my years of LC. But then, maybe your friends won't tell you??

Careful, People. It's a jungle out there. And you don't even need to leave your house to get eaten alive.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
P.S. What is really scary- certain diabetes drugs said to be causing genital gangrene as well as increased risk for toe &/or foot amputations.

Which SHOULD cause headlines, but DOES NOT.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 13:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Are they implying that people with high-carb-related vaginal yeast and assorted fungi smell better? Not to mention all their farting and belching.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Mar-07-19 at 15:13.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 16:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Are they implying that people with high-carb-related vaginal yeast and assorted fungi smell better? Not to mention all their farting and belching.

Laughing because it’s true!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 06:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I can't stand Jimmy Rants, so haven't watched it myself, but his intro reads: "Have you noticed all of those absurd “Keto C****h” stories that have been making the rounds in the news and on social media lately? Well, it turns out those stories (28 and counting so far) were all bought and paid for by a PR firm named Edelman whose clientele list includes some who aren’t exactly fans of the #keto message, including Barilla (pasta), Weight Watchers (#lowfat diet), and the EATLancet (#vegan) study. Surprise surprise, right?"

No idea if this is true...but an interesting source if it is.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 07:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

First thing I though when saw this stuff pop up was, why hasn't it shown up on this site over the years?

Make any claim, and somebody will show up with a coincidence to validate it.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 08:15
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My recent college grad Courtney works at my office in another department and we commute to work together. She is also doing LCHF/keto with me and has talked about it regularly with the chubby people in her unit. Driving home last night I asked her if she'd heard about “Keto C****h”. She said "Yeah, what's that all about?" Two people that she works with had brought up the topic with her this week. I told her about what I'd read - that it was intentional "fake news" put forth by those threatened by the "keto craze". She said that she pretty much figured that's what it was. She'd never heard of “Keto C****h” before this week and has certainly never had any such affliction doing keto. This fake news really is bad news. Enemies of keto did a masterful job spreading it like wild fire. On the flipside, though - the same medium is getting the word out about the miraculous benefits of keto which is what's lead to the "keto craze" in the first place. The battle is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
... Not to mention all their farting and belching.

Until fairly recently I was doing a very high fiber version of LCHF. So even while eating low carb I had the bonus perk of an abundance of flatulence. My current VLC plan has be avoiding most all plants and is virtually zero fiber. Problem solved.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Mar-08-19 at 08:24.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 10:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Until fairly recently I was doing a very high fiber version of LCHF. So even while eating low carb I had the bonus perk of an abundance of flatulence. My current VLC plan has be avoiding most all plants and is virtually zero fiber. Problem solved.

So, it's really the vegans, not the cows, we have to worry about, with all that methane.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 10:46

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am volunteering with the Red Cross to work in a pharmacy and went in to get some shots. Long story short, they wanted blood work to determine what I needed - so I'm sitting there after they called my number and the nurse, an elderly woman who looked stressed, is my nurse. My jacket is off, and my right arm out palm up, and I hear these things dropping and she gets all three viles filled no problem, does a nice job. Then somehow we are all of a sudden talking about my diet, and I'm telling her about Atkins and carbs and she keeps up with the questions - and it's not a slow day! The people waiting are not in the lab so they can't see - but for several minutes we talk about diet - then sleep - and she says Steve Jobs talked about getting eight hours, and I tell her I'm focused like a laser on sleep each night - blue blocker glasses 3 hrs before bed, removed electronics from my bedside, darkened my room, etc. And then she states the link between Alzheimer's disease and diet / lifestyle, and I'm nodding my head north and south. All of the seats are taken, getting blood drawn, and we're in our own little world - chatting - about diet! It was awesome. I could have talked for an hour I think.