Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 00:15
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Question Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Pressure Cooker

Pulled the trigger and got one on Prime Day extended sale. Anyone tried one? I wanted it for steaming 5 min HB eggs Plus bone broth or whatever else I can think of. These days I don't trust myself with cooking even with a kitchen timer LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 19:21

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

I use a pressure cooker all the time (I have a Tefal stove top one) It is a wonderful kitchen aid. I can cook pork belly/stews/lamb shanks in under an hour on a week night, then just insert the steaming rack and cook the veggies in 5 minutes whilst serving up. And, only one pot to wash!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-19, 02:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Mine is a different model, but I love it. I don't use it every day, but if I pull it out, I'll often do a couple of different things, say a whole roast or chicken followed by bone broth.

I find the broth is way tastier pressure-cooked, plus it's faster.

I did hard-cooked eggs in it, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. They cooked unevenly. I probably need to experiment a bit more with it.

My other regular use for it is to quickly cook cheaper (ie tougher) cuts of beef. Beef is expensive here, and I usually stick to outside round/eye of round. It turns out just melt-in-your-mouth tender and flavourful.

I know most of us won't use it for rice, but I make rice for large family gatherings. I cooked rice in it for the first time last week, and I was amazed at how there was not one grain of rice stuck to the pot. I'll never scrub my crappy rice cooker again.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 08:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Love, love, love my Instant Pot .. it's also the 6 qt DUO60 7 in 1

To be honest, I don't use most of the special function buttons .. mostly use Manual button and then adjust time up or down, and sometimes also adjust Pressure to low, as the default is high. The high/low pressure option is the "duo" part of the product name .. some of the early models only had high. I do use the Yogurt setting to heat milk to 180F .. but then take it out to cool and use a separate yogurt maker for the incubation. That frees up my Instant Pot for something else

Most foods will cook best with the default High pressure setting. The one exception is .. eggs

There are blogs and instructions all over the web with tips for cooking "perfect" eggs that peel easily. Some say to use Steam button and cook for 12 minutes, do a quick release and take the eggs out right away and plunge in ice cold water to stop cooking. Others say to cook for 5 minutes using Manual button, then hit Cancel and let the pot do a natural release for 10 minutes. Then take out eggs and put in ice cold water. In my experience, both methods led to overcooked, rubbery whites and dry, crumbly yolks. Oh but they peeled easily, no problem there .

So then I tried the 5 minute method, but used quick release and got the eggs into ice water right away. Hmmmm. Fine if you want soft-cooked eggs with still-runny yolks and and snot-textured whites .

After a few more epic fails, I had an idea to try the Low pressure setting .. success!!! . Firm but not rubbery whites, cooked but still moist yolks and easy to peel. The other factor is number of eggs .. I cook 6 to 8 eggs at a time, no more. Other bloggers say you can do up to a whole dozen, but my experience is that too many eggs end up unevenly cooked. Steam needs to circulate over and around the eggs, which it can't do if they're crowded or piled on top of one another. Maybe if you have the big 8 qt pot, might work to do a dozen eggs at once, but you also need to have a bigger kitchen to fit that monster

My method for near-perfect eggs .. **note, this assumes you're using standard Large eggs
  1. Pour 1 cup (250 ml) cold water in the inner pot. Put in rack that came with the pot, or use any steamer basket that will keep your eggs above the water, uncrowded
  2. Use cold eggs straight from the fridge. Arrange on the steamer so there's a bit of space around each egg.
  3. Lock the lid and turn knob to sealing position.
  4. Press Manual button, then press + or - to adjust time to 8 minutes. Then hit Pressure button to switch to Low. The pot will switch on automatically in 5 seconds.
  5. Takes about 5 minutes to come up to pressure ... then it will start counting down from 8.
  6. When it's getting near the end of cooking time, prepare a large bowl of ice cold water .. deep enough so eggs will be covered by at least one inch. I don't like to waste ice cubes, so I use one or more of those reusable blue gel-filled ice packs you can buy at the dollar store. Always have a couple of those in the freezer
  7. As soon as it beeps, press Cancel (or simply unplug) and do a quick release. I like to put a folded towel over the valve to control the blast of steam so I don't get scalded and it doesn't peel paint off the cupboard above (my kitchen is small!). Use a wooden spoon to push on the knob through the towel
  8. You'll hear the valve "click" when it drops. Immediately unlock the lid (be careful of steam!!), then carefully lift out the eggs and plunge into ice cold water. You might need to change the water as it will get hot as the eggs cool down.
  9. Once the eggs are room temp or colder, use right away or refrigerate. Kept in the shell, they'll be good for 7 days, according to food-safety websites. They'll still be easy to peel, even after a few days.

The absolute BEST site for all things Instant Pot is www.hippressurecooking.com. In fact, this site is recommended in the recipe booklet that came with the Instant Pot . Her "Pressure Cooking School" instructions for cooking different cuts of meat .. best cuts, cooking times and pressure-release methods .. are superb.
Check it out .. https://www.hippressurecooking.com/marvelous-meats-pcs/

Enjoy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 15:23
Forum Moderator

BF:

Thanks for the egg tips, Doreen. I sold my Egg Genie because my kitchen is tiny, too. I've gone back to doing them on the stovetop, and I'll probably keep doing that if I don't have anything else to do in the IP. It's heavy... and it's only a 6Q! But for sure, if I've already got the pot out anyway, I may as well do some eggs first since they don't even make a mess.

Another site I like for IP recipes is Amy & Jacky's site, https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/ . They likewise worked with the IP developers, and I like that they often show the results of multiple experiments of cooking times. My usual MO to look up how to do something in the IP is to google it and look for consensus, but if I see their site come up, I'll click on it first.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 19:56
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Another site I like for IP recipes is Amy & Jacky's site, https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/ .

Oh, I love this site too . Their IP bone broth blog post is awesome .. https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com...pot-bone-broth/
I've also made their Filipino Chicken Adobo IP recipe. Yummmm

I agree it's most efficient to multitask the Instant Pot, especially when space is limited
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 13:16

Plan: Instapot Low Carb Diet Pl
Stats: 177/153/145 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 75%

I love my IP. It makes melt in your mouth pork tenderloin and ribs.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 09:04

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I need another kitchen gadget like a hole in the head, I'm now thinking that I should buy an Instant Pot after reading the posts here, and in particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I find the broth is way tastier pressure-cooked, plus it's faster.
I make a lot of broth in my slow cooker, but this could be a better way
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 06:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

It's way easy to make bone broth in Instapot Demi

I had it down pat a few years ago, collect all assorted bones in gallon freezer bags - when full toss into pot, add water, some salt and ACV put on high for max time (90 min IIRC) then I think i hit it again for same time if wanted more intense. Here's a bunch of images I searched for on my site that had "bone" maybe helpful maybe not but def investige pot if for broth alone, I don't use mine as much any more so I hear the others on the gadget problem

all from Instapot below

#10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 06:36

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

ps, and you can make the best Phake Fo with it

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/PhakeFho/

#11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 06:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
It's way easy to make bone broth in Instapot Demi

I had it down pat a few years ago, collect all assorted bones in gallon freezer bags - when full toss into pot, add water, some salt and ACV put on high for max time (90 min IIRC) then I think i hit it again for same time if wanted more intense. Here's a bunch of images I searched for on my site that had "bone" maybe helpful maybe not but def investige pot if for broth alone, I don't use mine as much any more so I hear the others on the gadget problem

Thanks thud
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 12:47

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

I've had great success with my Mini but left it warming all night by accident once...
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-20, 09:48
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
My method for near-perfect eggs ...
A much belated high-five for these instructions. I've done them several times this way, and they were perfect.

I love how easily they peel - I wonder if there's something about pressure cooking that loosens the shell, because it even worked on fresher eggs. I used to deliberately save eggs until around the expiry time to do them hard-cooked. OTOH, it could have been luck.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-22, 10:51
Forum Founder

BF:

My old IP bit the dust last weekend, after 7+ years of frequent reliable use (1 - 2 x per week, at least). Bought a new model .. 6 qt Duo-Plus 9-in-1, luckily my local Best Buy had it on the shelf and sale price $80 off .

It's been a bit of a learning curve, as the buttons are different. Love the updated safety features, eg sealing valve has a separate button to open/close .. no more risk of scalds from gushing steam when releasing pressure

On the subject of hard cooked eggs in the shell .. this new model has a dedicated "Egg" cooking button. It's pre-set for 5 minutes cooking time (which can be changed). I was apprehensive at first, but tried it with 6 large eggs, cold from the fridge (not room temperature) and left it at 5 minutes. They came out well; neither rubbery nor runny. Easy to peel

The old IP & lid were sent to a metal and electronics recycling center rather than garbage landfill. I've saved the inner pot .. can always use that!!!.

BTW, one of the 9 programs on the new IP is a sous vide function. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to playing with it
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-22, 02:56
Forum Moderator

BF:

Nice find, Doreen. Mine's coming up on 5 years old, IIRC. It's good to know that if/when I replace it, the pot is interchangeable if I get the same size.

So I guess a vacuum sealer is your next kitchen toy?