Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 05:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default CDC Obesity Prevalence Maps

The CDC released its Obesity Prevalence data this week. Whenever I'm inspired by all the amazing success stories here and in the Keto/LC world, data like this brings me back to reality. Nine states now report over 35% of residents are Obese, up from none in 2011. There was no slow-down in obesity rates 2017-2018, at all, in fact, two more states were added in one year. I first saw the prevalence maps in Dr. Eenfeldt's 2011 AHS talk, and at the bottom of this linked page, the new animated maps illustrate in what has happened since. Looking at the data since 1985, it is a non-stop train wreck. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

New states over 35%; Kentucky, ND, and Missouri. A few states went down to 30-35% obesity, but that is nothing to brag about. 2011-2018 https://www.cdc.gov/.../2018-overall-obesity-prevalence... The stats before 2011 when the method of calculation changed, are also linked in this article.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 07:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sobering, and while we're able to prevent hunger in many areas in this day and age, it's not supposed to be like this. Malnutrition is occurring whether one eats or not.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 09:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

You nailed it, Rob.

The grassroots efforts are spreading the word and gaining traction, but until the US government changes its stance clearly this sickening trend will continue. Medical professionals, with a few rare exceptions, follow the plate method and the calorie is a calorie theory which are both badly flawed.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 10:00

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

And it's worse than those statistics show, probably. Those are all self-reported numbers from people who take voluntarily take part in telephone surveys. Telephone surveys are notorious for missing large groups of people and it's gotten dramatically worse in the last 10 years when so many people have given up land lines and have their cell #s taken off the lists for marketing phone calls.

This means that surveys like this are unintentionally skewed towards the middle and upper classes and older people. Obesity is often considered a disease of the poor and if they aren't fully represented in those numbers, then it's worse than we think.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 11:34

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Totally reversible.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 14:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

CG, the group you specified shows a far higher percent of obesity in my personal experience ..... you are spot on.

And yes, s9, totally reversable.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 17:37

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

We have the similar stats in Aus - We went from 18% of the population being obese to 30% in the span of 15 years!

When I was a child it was really rare to see someone overweight on the streets, now I would say more are overweight than not. The government really needs to do more to stop this epidemic.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 20:01

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I wonder how much of it is the population is aging?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 09:51

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

In Oregon, where I’m traveling at the moment, I can tell you that obesity is far more prevalent than the map would have you believe. Many/most young people are very obese here. The little ones are “good eaters” too.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 12:11

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I had a glimmer of hope that the CDC would be more scientific than the USDA, but as I followed the various links on the CDC page to see what could be done about obesity or diabetes it was the same old stuff. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables, seed oils, lean meats.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 16:04

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
And it's worse than those statistics show, probably. Those are all self-reported numbers from people who take voluntarily take part in telephone surveys. Telephone surveys are notorious for missing large groups of people and it's gotten dramatically worse in the last 10 years when so many people have given up land lines and have their cell #s taken off the lists for marketing phone calls.

This means that surveys like this are unintentionally skewed towards the middle and upper classes and older people. Obesity is often considered a disease of the poor and if they aren't fully represented in those numbers, then it's worse than we think.

First thing that jumps out to me, not at all a surprise, is that it tends to be worse where income and education are low (resulting in reduced income). As Gary Taubes said someplace, refined carbohydrates are the cheapest of foods. Like, bread, beans and oatmeal are a whole lot easier on the food budget than meat and eggs of any quality. I remember as a kid hearing my mom talk about a friend of hers who was saying she was on a "rich man's diet" to lose weight because she was eating stuff like meat rather than mac n cheese and more budget (but not health) friendly foods. Makes it harder when major public sources of "health" advice claim the low-fat carbs rather than meat, for instance, is the healthier choice. I've learned from personal experience otherwise.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 18:31

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Articles are written about "Food deserts" in big cities with no grocery stores in certain areas, but nobody writes about food deserts in rural areas with no grocery stores and maybe a convenience store that might be miles away....
Access to food in the rural/country is huge.

A little rural store in the country might have a few cans of spagetti-Os, chips, cookies, soda, processed pkg sandwich meat, maybe bread, maybe milk and no fresh meats or veggies.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 18:37

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Articles are written about "Food deserts" in big cities with no grocery stores in certain areas, but nobody writes about food deserts in rural areas with no grocery stores and maybe a convenience store that might be miles away....
Access to food in the rural/country is huge.

A little rural store in the country might have a few cans of spagetti-Os, chips, cookies, soda, processed pkg sandwich meat, maybe bread, maybe milk and no fresh meats or veggies.

Yes, this is totally true. Analysts and policymakers don't see rural people, period. I used to work on an advocacy issue that was largely understood for years to primarily impact urban youth. We did the actual research and got the paradigm of the work shifted to a focus on rural youth in our agency. Urban issues are sexy and fun for people who work in think tanks and advocacy organizations. But it's not really where the worst poverty and societal collapse is happening.