Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 05:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default 84% of Vegetarians and Vegans Return to Meat. Why?

Ran across this:

Quote:
Thanks to a new study by the Humane Research Council, we now know a lot more about the psychology of why so many vegetarians and vegans, like my daughter, give up their all-veggie ways.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...return-meat-why

Here's the daughter:

Quote:
For the next 17 years, I ate grains, produce, legumes, and fake meat products like those Morningstar bacon strips that have a lower nutritional value than cat food. And for the next 17 years, it seemed like I was always hungry no matter how large my bowl of beans and rice. Even worse than constant hunger, I didn't seem to enjoy food the way other people did. Eating was a chore, like folding laundry or paying bills, but even more annoying because if I didn't do it I would die. I was sick of being hungry, I was sick of beans and rice, and so at the age of 31, I have made a decision: I will try and become a meat-eater.

Not very appealing!

Quote:
• Going Back - Five out of six people who give up meat eventually abandon their vegetarian ways.

This is not a sustainable diet plan. It's NOT popular. It's dangerous, as we see every single year when someone damages their infant with a vegan "diet."

Quote:
Hence, the authors of the report argue that animal protectionists would be better off concentrating their efforts to persuade “the many” to reduce their consumption of flesh than trying to convince “the few” to take the absolutist route and give up meat completely. Sounds right to me.

But you can see the author is STILL convinced that we should stop eating so much meat. When the fact is we should ban factory farms.

I support the pricey local farms who raise humanely because THIS is the answer: small, local, fresh, not mass-produced.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 09:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some friends of ours and their big pot of beans and rice are so sick it's sad. Thyroid cancer, prostate issues, pancreas issues etc....They're so brainwashed that beans are better for you then meat, it's sad.

I've put the LC bug in her ear and she is listening about bread. At one time she told me she is addicted to sugar and in the middle of the night she would have an uncontrollable urge to have sugar that at one point she could only find pancake syrup and got up to drink some, then went back to bed.

I can only imagine the swings up and down of their blood sugar.
She told me yesterday she's been eating a lot of sandwiches because that's what he has been making.

I think it's like a bad slow motion documentary of malnutrition, cancer and the organs that begin to fail as a result.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Aug-30-19 at 19:52.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 13:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My prediction is that legume proteins will be found to trigger intolerances, allergies and possibly autoimmune diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis and MS. They certainly cause me inflammation, joint pain & problems with dexterity that disappear when I avoid them.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 14:42

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I personally gave up vegetarianism because the internet came into existence and I was then able to easily find accurate health information. Realized what I was doing wasn't in my best health interests after all (hello diabetes!) and shifted to low carb with return to animal foods. I'm much healthier now.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 20:02

BF:

It's all been a marketing plan to sell livestock feed to us for human consumption.
Hummus, Black beans, Polenta (aka corn/grits), Couscous, big starchy russet potatoes (aka hog food), and all "heart healthy".
If I've heard and read that phrase once I've read it 10,000 times in the past 15 years.
It's all been a scam by big AG which overlaps with food processors now.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 08:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
It's all been a marketing plan to sell livestock feed to us for human consumption.
Hummus, Black beans, Polenta (aka corn/grits), Couscous, big starchy russet potatoes (aka hog food), and all "heart healthy".
If I've heard and read that phrase once I've read it 10,000 times in the past 15 years.
It's all been a scam by big AG which overlaps with food processors now.

Yes a zillion times.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 and low FODMAP
Stats: 291/241/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I became a vegetarian when Dr Dean Ornish came out with his book, Eat More Weigh Less. I was fully immersed in a lacto-ovo lifestyle. (I ate dairy products and eggs.) I did it to lose weight. It didn't work. I stayed the same for a long time, then I gained weight.

So, after 10 years, I started to eat meat again. Then I found low carb and discovered how well it worked for me. I had phenomenal success in 2005-6, but had to have major surgery and experienced complications. Fell off the wagon. I am back and doing well, doing low carb for one year now and well on my way to goal.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 09:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosumi
I became a vegetarian when Dr Dean Ornish came out with his book, Eat More Weigh Less.

THAT guy. Don't like him. Been tooting his own horn without good science. Or, as one low carb columnist once said, "Be sure to stay upwind of an Ornish fan."
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 16:41

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I figure it this way:
  1. I have the teeth of an omnivore - tearing teeth for meat and grinding teeth for plants
  2. I have the digestive enzymes of an omnivore - some for digesting meat protein others for vegetable matter
  3. I do not have the digestive system of a herbivore. Cows and other ruminants have multiple stomachs, horses have a "mile long" alimentary canal, rabbits and others eat their own feces - all this to get enough nutrition from plants. I have one stomach, a moderate alimentary canal and am certainly not going to eat my own feces
Therefore I am going to honor my own body and be an omnivore like mother nature intended me to be.

Also....

Choline is necessary for your brain. Several sources point out that veggie sources of choline are difficult to digest and to put it mildly, a vegan diet will starve your brain of an essential brain nutrient:

From The Telegraph:
Quote:
Vegans and vegetarians could be missing out on an important nutrient that is crucial for brain health, an expert has warned. Choline is important for memory, mood, muscle control and may even fend off mental decline in later life. But the body does not produce enough in the liver to meet daily requirements and the best dietary sources are beef, eggs, dairy products, pork, chicken and salmon.

From Medical News Today:
Quote:
A recent article suggests that the growing trend towards plant based diets may put our brain health at risk. This is because choline, which is an essential nutrient, is largely missing from meat free eating plans.<...snip...>Choline is "essential" in the sense that just like omega-3 fatty acids, the human body does not produce not enough to meet its nutritional requirements. Therefore, getting choline from dietary sources is crucial.<...snip...>Studies have linked choline deficiency with liver disease, impaired cognitive function in offspring, and even neurological disorders. The nutrient is key to the development of a healthy brain, particularly in the fetal stages. Beef, eggs, dairy, fish, and chicken are the primary sources of this nutrient. Nuts, legumes, and vegetables, such as broccoli, contain the lowest amounts of choline.<...snip...>

From the US National Institute of Health (Pub Med)
Quote:
Choline is an essential nutrient that is naturally present in some foods and available as a dietary supplement. Choline is a source of methyl groups needed for many steps in metabolism. The body needs choline to synthesize phosphatidylcholine and sphingomyelin, two major phospholipids vital for cell membranes. Therefore, all plant and animal cells need choline to preserve their structural integrity [1,2]. In addition, choline is needed to produce acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter for memory, mood, muscle control, and other brain and nervous system functions [1-3]. Choline also plays important roles in modulating gene expression, cell membrane signaling, lipid transport and metabolism, and early brain development [1,2]. Humans can produce choline endogenously in the liver, mostly as phosphatidylcholine, but the amount that the body naturally synthesizes is not sufficient to meet human needs [4]. As a result, humans must obtain some choline from the diet.

And so on and so forth.

IMHO anyone who pursues a vegan diet is likely to have compromised health and compromised brain function.

You have the body of an omnivore, feed it what it is designed for.

Cows eat cow food, rabbits eat rabbit food, tigers eat tiger food and humans are supposed to eat human food.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 19:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

A neice has gone vegan/vegetarian. She is a gym teacher.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 22:42

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

And then there’s Spartacus.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 07:52

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

There is a lot of veggie/meatless propaganda out there right now, and so many people just follow the herd, believe what they hear, and don't take the time to think for themselves or investigate for themselves.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 08:06

BF:

Epicurus

If a person fights the clear evidence of his senses he will never be able to share in genuine tranquility.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 09:00

BF:

I'm not profiling but I can predict a vegetarian sighting a mile away! LOLOL