Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 06:39

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Another article critiquing the study:

https://peterattiamd.com/more-hype-..._eid=b3bafe300b

I still prefer to avoid all artificial sweeteners.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

PKU patients can't process an amino acid. Yeah, it is in just about everything processed and not processed. Really, really hard to avoid since it is an essential amino acid. It is also found in foods high in protein.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...alanine#sources
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 10:19
Experimenter

BF:

I think maybe people didn't catch this pilot study about exogenous erythritol ending up in the blood.
Quote:
After uncovering the risk of high levels of erythritol and its impact on clotting, Hazen and colleagues decided to look at how it might accumulate in people who consumed it through processed foods. In a small pilot study, healthy volunteers were given one to two servings of erythritol in products such as sweetened ice cream or lemonade.

“The plasma levels of erythritol went about 1,000-fold higher, and then stayed above the levels that were observed, to enhance clotting risks in earlier experiments for days,” says Hazen.

I don't think you can necessarily lay the blame of people's high erythritol measurements on their metabolic condition when you can replicate high erythritol in people simply by feeding it to them.

Put that together with the observation that erythritol stimulates platelets and it looks pretty bad.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diab...through%20urine.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Mar-05-23 at 10:24.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 10:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Everybody and their mother has weighed in on this study, two of my Paleo stalwarts, Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf, advise that the small pilot study does not look good, but neither of them use processed sweeteners in any significant amount.

From Mark's Sunday with Sisson:
Quote:
After the 30 grams of erythritol, blood levels went up 1000x (and stayed elevated for days) and platelet aggregation increased. Normally after a meal, platelet aggregation decreases—whether the meal is high or low carb.
This is worrisome. The observational part of the study I can dismiss. Have done it a hundred times before when the mechanistic in vivo follow-up research falls flat. But this time the follow-up in vivo human research actually looks pretty bad.
I’ve never been a huge fan of sugar alcohols. So many of them aggravate digestive issues in people. Diarrhea, flatulence, constipation, upset stomach—these aren’t minor issues to just ignore. And although xylitol is acutely harmless in most mammals, it will kill a dog in hours. Strange stuff, you know?
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 14:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree with the Robb/Mark reaction to the study; however, it's telling that with the many responses to the erythitol study, it has obviously triggered a nerve, which may be even more telling how many people react to protect the consumption of sweetened food and rail against its criticisms. I've witnessed people who react negatively and dismissively when someone politely declines an offer of dessert, observing that a small amount can hardly be a concern. Something to think about.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 15:22

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I agree with the Robb/Mark reaction to the study; however, it's telling that with the many responses to the erythitol study, it has obviously triggered a nerve, which may be even more telling how many people react to protect the consumption of sweetened food and rail against its criticisms. I've witnessed people who react negatively and dismissively when someone politely declines an offer of dessert, observing that a small amount can hardly be a concern. Something to think about.

I agree. This goes beyond the question of whether or not it is safe to consume erythritol to why people cling so fiercely to the need to ingest sweetened foods to the extent that they become upset when others decline the offer of dessert.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 19:02
Experimenter

BF:

I completely understand the desire not to want this to be true. But I need to be honest with myself and the science looks concerning so far.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 20:04

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I was fortunate that at the beginning of my low carb journey, which is now 2 decades ago, I read a book called "Neanderthin" that advocated a paleo diet of real foods and I've pretty much stuck with it all these years. I occasionally would try out artificial sweeteners but mostly I just decided I didn't need sweetened foods. It somehow just seemed like the prudent way to proceed. Even if it wasn't necessary to be such a purist I figured it couldn't hurt and it possibly was the most beneficial way to eat, not so much for merely weight loss but in terms of overall health. Because I was dealing with health issues that went way beyond obesity I have always had a broad focus on staying not just reasonably thin but as healthy as possible regardless of what my weight was.

I actually have this book! When I asked Dr. Naiman if he had heard of the paleo diet, he said he had and that he had read this book (either in residency or medical school, I can’t remember which). That was sometime around 2009-2010, a long time ago! I agree with much of what I learned about the paleo diet, but I am not very strict with it.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 20:14

BF:

I’ll add Dr. Tro’s post from Twitter today:

Proponents of continued Erythritol use ignore the invivo and mechanistic data, they play to natural pathways as a reason to assume its benign

Opponents of Erythritol use are weighing heavily on composite data.

Nobody is right. I JUST wouldn’t assume its benign

Last edited by Key Tones : Sun, Mar-05-23 at 22:43.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 22:42

BF:

I liberally use sweeteners. It’s just not a problem. I’m a little leery of Nutrasweet/aspartame because when it first came out, I got the Nutrasweet headache. I use a lot of Splenda, and that’s probably not going to change. I’ve lost a ton of weight using it.

Layne Norton has videos out explaining that the research actually supports artificial sweeteners are helpful for weight loss. I agree with that. And while he doesn’t think the research on erythritol supports the conclusions they draw, I don’t care.

I pitched it all!!
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-23, 04:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I completely understand the desire not to want this to be true. But I need to be honest with myself and the science looks concerning so far.

That’s a very good way to look at it. It’s one I’ve been following as I struggle to regain my health. We have to take our individual situation into consideration above all.

I think Nancy is absolutely right to note that she already has an issue in this area. Adding unknown risk is just not worth the sweet taste we get.

I use heavy cream and a dash of salt in my (decaf) coffee. That's sweet enough for me. Likewise, my Naked Whey smoothies need no extra sweetener.

AND I've treated fatigue with D-Ribose. This is a Dr. Sarah Myhill tip, which is useful for heart patients. (Helps rebuild distressed mitochondria.) If you can handle a few carbs for a good-for-you bit of sweetener, this might solve that issue.

Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-23, 08:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

https://youtu.be/tsUpqSE6m0k

The science is POOR.

In another life, I would attend the brown bag lectures where PhD candidates presented their study and findings..... Let me say, there is a right way and a better way in most cases.

As for biases, I overheard a senior researcher counsel ing a younger PhD: phrase the results in a way that more research is needed. Their pay depended on winning research dollars. Oh, and don't make the company putting up the money look bad.

The quality of the study matters.

Salt can kill you.

Water can kill you.

Time to stop eating salt and drinking water?
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-23, 09:57
Experimenter

BF:

Saying that the science is poor is a good way to dismiss things you don't want to hear. Yes, sometimes the science is bad. In fact, a lot of time early on. That's why other groups of researchers need to try to replicate or further study. The science on this particular issue is scant and new, yes, but I wouldn't characterize it as poor. I only wish that there was more money available for people to replicate studies as that is often lacking.

Science draws hypotheses from observations and then tests them. The observation was that people with high blood erythritol have strokes and clotting issues. The pilot test was feeding people erythritol to see if that raises their blood levels. It did establish that. You can't really ethically test the hypothesis by feeding lots of erythritol to people with diseases where it might kill them, so you have to study the effect on platelets in mice and the test tube. We'll know more later.

One last thing, I tend to discount what YouTube keto "experts" are saying because that is how they make their money. They've been making a living off erythritol. So if I have to put my life into anyone's hands, it wouldn't be a YouTube influencer with hundreds of videos making sweets with erythritol. Now if Taubes weighs in on it, I'd definitely listen.

Serious Keto has a serious blind spot. If your body needs to make a repair in a blood vessel, it will form a tiny clot to fix it. If it forms a really big clot, that is a problem. Not everyone walking around knows what shape their blood vessels and heart are in. The clotting condition I have isn't a rare one. Lots of people have it and don't know it. We've all heard about super healthy people having strokes or heart attacks.

At any rate, I will stop arguing at this point. We all have to make our own decisions on the matter.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Mar-06-23 at 10:14.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-23, 12:56

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Another critique, from The American Council on Science and Health :

Quote:
https://www.acsh.org/news/2023/03/0...tol-study-16918

Before getting to the clinical data, consider whether the presence of erythritol is a bioplausible mechanism for coronary artery disease. ...

But a 30gm dose of erythritol doesn’t [1] contain that high an amount even if all of it is in your circulation. This raises a new concern, are their calculations incorrect, or is there another endogenous source of erythritol? There is, in fact, another source, glucose, and as this study of weight gain reports,

“We also found the concentration of erythritol was higher in the group with higher glycemia compared with the group with lower glycemia at study baseline.”

Erythritol can enhance clotting, but does dietary ingestion enhance clotting in humans under normal physiologic conditions? We do not know, and the study does not convince...

Once again, we have a click-bait, fear-mongering headline that serves the needs of platforms earning money from views but does little to serve the public in their quest for healthy dietary choices.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-23, 08:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Noticed Cleveland Clinic's popular article About Erythritol

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/erythritol/

Conclusion.
Quote:
One sure way to avoid erythritol is to focus your diet on whole foods. That means, natural, non-packaged foods, like fresh fruits and vegetables. And if you need something a little sweet, Dr. Hazen says signs are pointing to table sugar as the healthier choice over the artificial stuff.

“With the knowledge we have now, it’s probably better to have moderate amounts of sugar itself, or honey, as opposed to artificial sweeteners,” Dr. Hazen advises. “Until we have further studies and long-term studies on the safety of these kinds of compounds, it’s hard to say that they’re safe.”

If you have questions about how to avoid sugars and artificial sweeteners, talking with a certified dietitian and other healthcare providers can help you learn more about food choices that are appropriate for your health.