Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-23, 16:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default 2023 Best Diets

Of course, the Low-Carb ones are ranked near the bottom.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-23, 18:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This continues to be frustrating. . . .
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-23, 07:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Harvard Health Newsletter, Jan 3, 2023:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...es-202301032869

Low-carb diet helps cut blood sugar levels in people with prediabetes

Right, just as Walter Willett, Frank Hu and the thought leaders at Harvard have embraced low carb diets these past 25 years!.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-23, 11:39

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Harvard Health Newsletter, Jan 3, 2023:

[url]https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/low-carb-diet-helps-cut-blood-sugar-levels-in-people-with-prediabetes-202301032869

"The researchers recommended that participants veer toward proteins and healthy fats by eating non-starchy vegetables, fish, poultry, lean meat, eggs, olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds, Greek yogurt, low-carb milk, and small amounts of cheese. "

What is low-carb milk?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-23, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
"The researchers recommended that participants veer toward proteins and healthy fats by eating non-starchy vegetables, fish, poultry, lean meat, eggs, olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds, Greek yogurt, low-carb milk, and small amounts of cheese. "

What is low-carb milk?

The new Ultra-Filtered Milks, FairLife the most widely available brand. Through special processing of real milk (no additives, not a nut milk) the carbs are reduced AND the protein, calcium increased, and other usual milk nutrients remain. Lactose free milks are also lower in carb but they don’t increase protein. I love it! Highly recommended for The P:E Diet, I use it in place of cream in coffee, in smoothies and make Ted Naiman's ice cream with it.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-04-23 at 12:19.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-23, 23:28

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Rebel has a low carb milk too.

Has anybody seen the Weight Watchers commercials? They take straight aim at low-carb. I just laugh.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-23, 03:34

I have not seen Rebel milk in our stores, and should be near the Fairlife, but check out those ingredients. It starts with water! adding both cream and milk protein isolate, two alternative sweeteners, allulose and Monkfruit, xanthum gum, an unspecified natural flavor, and salt to get a low net carb number..…but it is very high in fat, more than whole milk, and it did not increase protein or calcium. Doesn’t fit my goal of watching protein, satiety and nutrient density.

I watched a WW ad on their FB page…all cookies!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-08-23 at 04:21.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-23, 12:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
I watched a WW ad on their FB page…all cookies!
Reminiscent of their "Oprah loves bread!!!" on WW campaign.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-23, 12:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Looked at list again.....the main list as post one shows is best diet, like overall diet.

Below are other rankings, like weight loss diets:

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet...ight-loss-diets

Still a useless list. WW and Mediterranean make the top5.

Years ago a well meaning beloved auntie gave me a copy of the Mediterranean diet book. I nearly fell over at the amount of rice and carbs. Never tried it. Stuck with DANDR as I knew that worked for me. I do like the recipes just not the added carbs.....many easy to make low carbs.

My oldest likes stir fries. Often without rice. He's a pencil and burns the calories.

An old healer in a book by Anne W_____, her grandmother in a Lithuanian village, did not recommend milk for adults. (As knowledgeable doctors say, milk is for fast growth as it has high protein, high fat and high carbs. ) Children yes, adults , no. This book was written over 50 years ago and chronicled Anne's childhood: surviving the occupying soldiers of WWI, hiring out to a farm and "bathing" once a week in a sauna, traveling to America, living in Boston, surviving gangrene by fasting ( doctors wanted to amputate and when she said no, discharded her from hospital), started loosing her teeth yet her grandmother had perfect teeth......she developed sprouting and recipes to provide a fresh vegetable during the long winters when people suffered from I'll health and rotting teeth in general.

I am reminded of her book often: Too few understand nutrition. It's a long life endeavor.....as we know.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Jan-09-23 at 12:59.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-23, 05:45

But now we have the technology to lower the carbs, remove the fat and still keep the nutrients. A couple of tablespoons of cream was low in calcium and other bone strengthening vitamins and minerals. I feel better with Fage nonfat yogurt and fairlife milk. Can’t make a direct connection, it might be just more protein, but I have the longest, strongest nails in decades, thicker hair, etc.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 10:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
But now we have the technology to lower the carbs, remove the fat and still keep the nutrients. A couple of tablespoons of cream was low in calcium and other bone strengthening vitamins and minerals. I feel better with Fage nonfat yogurt and fairlife milk. Can’t make a direct connection, it might be just more protein, but I have the longest, strongest nails in decades, thicker hair, etc.

Can't argue with results. Unlike those soy/nut milks, there is still nutrition in it. And dairy seems to have health benefits even when lactose and or allergenic non-proteins like lectins were removed.

It could be the degree of processing involved. Or the fact that i do better with the 10% milkfat kind of yogurt, and JEY doesn't, so low fat becomes important to her.

I rely on whey for many reasons, but especially how it's a high quality, yet low cost, source of protein for people who get along with dairy. I can feel and taste the difference between unflavored whey powder, and whey protein isolate. Just been read that some of it might not be bio-available. Because whey is baked to evaporation while isolate is highly processed.

In such a dilemma, I let my taste buds, and my body, guide the way. Taste better and feel better seems to be happening more and more as I pare unnecessary or over-processed foods from my plan.

That shake mix with "good" ingredients that tasted so good to me months ago now tastes like a pound of sugar was poured in the mug. That's progress.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Of course, the Low-Carb ones are ranked near the bottom.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

So many years in a row. Gosh darn!

But still, it's more than a fad diet dating back to 1979, or of course, Banting.

I often say, it's the oldest diet and I will be right no matter what they think
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Can't argue with results. Unlike those soy/nut milks, there is still nutrition in it. And dairy seems to have health benefits even when lactose and or allergenic non-proteins like lectins were removed.

It could be the degree of processing involved. Or the fact that i do better with the 10% milkfat kind of yogurt, and JEY doesn't, so low fat becomes important to her.

I rely on whey for many reasons, but especially how it's a high quality, yet low cost, source of protein for people who get along with dairy. I can feel and taste the difference between unflavored whey powder, and whey protein isolate. Just been read that some of it might not be bio-available. Because whey is baked to evaporation while isolate is highly processed.

In such a dilemma, I let my taste buds, and my body, guide the way. Taste better and feel better seems to be happening more and more as I pare unnecessary or over-processed foods from my plan.

That shake mix with "good" ingredients that tasted so good to me months ago now tastes like a pound of sugar was poured in the mug. That's progress.

I do use whey isolates..now I forget why whey concentrate is not preferred.
I'm using it more for flavor than relying on the protein. ON brand calls their vanilla "vanilla ice cream", and wow, sweeter than the chocolate and even the banana creme.

I put Marty's view about protein powders in his thread: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...95&postcount=35
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 11:55

BF:

I didn't think there was a difference but this article claims isolate can change the shape of the proteins, while the powder does not.

As someone who grew up splashing a lot of non-fat dry milk on my cheap bagged rice puffs, that makes sense to me. Because I had trouble with the isolate, but the powder -- then and now -- was where I was getting nutrition. Sure wasn't the rice puffs!

It's a perfect breakfast for me, as I can't get 50 grams of protein, consistently, any other way. There are times I can't cook and smoothies were the answer.