Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 08:25

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default A Festive Cautionary Tale

Hi all

I tell this, my cautionary tale, in the hopes that other low carbers won’t make the same mistake!

I suppose pride comes before a fall, but I was planning to have a lower carb Christmas (as I have done the past two years), but still to make and eat higher carb foods than I usually do – my own homemade 70% chocolate nuts, Christmas muffins made with lc mincemeat and ground almonds, etc. So I have found myself over the past few weeks eating more carbs than usual and really completely ignoring my body’s signals of being full (Yes I hear you Jeanette!). Last night I was at a friends’ house where I overate sausages and drank two glasses of red wine (twice as much as I normally can drink). I went to bed feeling a bit snuffly and hoarse, but took my vitamin C to help with that. I proceeded to have a terrible night – waking every hour because my nose was running and my head ached. Good time to get the beginnings of a cold/flu, huh? 5 days before Christmas, with a family Christmas to organize and guests to stay over New Year?

I should also point out that I normally sleep like the proverbial log – knowing nothing from dozing off until the alarm goes in the morning. I also very rarely get ill – I have had no colds or coughs at all this Autumn – the last time I was ill was a horrible virulent flu bug I had in February. I put all my general good health down to low carbing and the avoidance of sugars, starches and of course hydrogenated and other bad fats. I have also noticed recently that my skin is breaking out all over – something else I have not had to cope with so much since low carbing. (Good timing there also – in the season of parties when you want to look your best!) So I know that the reason I have come down with this at this time is because I have overdosed on carbs and suppressed my usually robust immune system – I have only myself to blame.

So the moral of this story is – try not to succumb to the “I’ll treat myself over Christmas and pick up the pieces in January” idea. Like me you might regret it sooner than you think!

Katy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 17:21

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Oh poor Katy

Hope you're feeling better very soon, and thanks for the warning This will be my first Christmas/New Year since starting low-carb around seven months ago, so fingers crossed I have the will-power to stick to my principles when I'm not the one in charge of the kitchen

Last edited by SylviaUK : Sun, Dec-21-03 at 17:23.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 17:24
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I'm sorry you are having trouble, but I absolutely love the title of this thread!

Kay
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 02:39

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Katy

Sorry to read your woes. I know what you mean about the carbs increasing. I did some baking over the weekend and had to be careful that my sampling was legit.

On the cold front. Go and grab some liquid Echinacea. I have amazed at how much better I feel with that stimulating my immune system. Colds are certainly a lot better to bear when you have a clear head.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 11:16

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks everyone for your good sympathies! I am feeling a little better - well dosed up on the Day Nurse tablets!

Sylvia - I'm sure you'll do fine over Christmas! Just be prepared with your own lc versions of foods - it's worked OK for me over the last two Christmasses!

Kay - Glad you liked it!

Anne - actually I did go and buy some echinacea on Saturday and I do really feel that I might be getting over this sooner than usual! Of course, I have cut right back on the extra carbs over the last few days too

Merry Christmas everyone!