Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 04:43

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default I could use some help

I got on the scale today and found I had gained 2 pounds. That's on top of gaining a pound yesterday. Why?

According to NANY, my net carbs should be 20 gm or less, protein 110 gm or less and the rest fat for a 1500 cal/day (NANY suggests 1800 cal for women but I reduced that). That's 5% carbs, 25% protein, the rest fat.

I have a computer program where I track my intake.

For the past week, I ate protein 23%, carbs 8%, less that 20 net carbs, That's 79 gm or less protein. 1343 cal average

Past month 1350 cal, 20 gm or less net carbs, 88 gm protein. Average

I went back on Atkins on Nov 26th and quickly lost 6.5 pounds and stayed at that weight till yesterday.

I am wondering if I am not eating enough protein. Too much fat? Net carbs are under control.

I am elderly and physically handicapped. Suggestions on physical activity (I do not lose weight with physical activity) not wanted at this time

Suggestions please--
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 05:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Weight loss never happens in a straight line. There are many thing that can effect weight on a day to day level. The best things you could do for yourself is not weigh yourself every day. That's just messing with your mental health when the day to day variations are probably meaningless in the long run. Maybe switch to once a week or even once a month. That will give you a better picture of what's happening.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 07:16

BF:

Thanks Cotonpal, but your way is far more discouraging than my way. I have tried it. I will stick to my way.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 07:30

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

My point really was that these fluctuations in weight don't necessarily mean anything. The problem is more likely to be our expectation that weight loss should happen in a strict linear progression rather than fluctuate up and down a bit.

I'm curious, why do you find it discouraging? At one point in my journey I stopped weighing myself entirely, even threw out my scale but stuck with the plan. After 2 years I had lost 30 pounds and this was after I had already lost 70 pounds. Maybe it won't work for you but it definitely works for me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 08:39

BF:

I have been low carbing since 2007 when I lost 80 pounds
I know about weight fluctuations having had many of them over the years
Our discussion is not answering my question
Have you seen any low-carb research on post-menopausal women?
Have you seen any low-carb research on the physically handicapped?
Those might help as NANY is based upon hormonally active men and women - not the elderly or infirm
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 09:17

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I got on the scale today and found I had gained 2 pounds. That's on top of gaining a pound yesterday. Why?
This is a mystery we all face from time to time. It can't be answered in a generic way, by NANY or anyone here. The tired old cliche YMMV (your mileage may vary) definitely applies.

As for those daily fluctuations? Water weight comes and goes with amazing shifts from day to day. Be sure you are eating enough salt and drinking enough liquid daily.

I doubt that there is much reliable research on weight management for people with disabilities that limit mobility. The pool of subjects is significant, but probably too small to interest most researchers. Also, like you, I'm in the post-menopausal category, where the "average" advice breaks down.

So, you are out of the "mainstream" in two categories. The only good answer is what works for you? That takes experimentation and commitment over time--which you seem to be pursuing to the best of your ability.

For the past five years or so, as I jumped into my 7th decade, I've found actual weight loss nearly impossible. I console myself with the fact that I'm not gaining at the rate I used to when I was not adhering (mostly) to LC eating. Also, research suggests that a little extra fat is a feature of longevity.

Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the percentages, the calories, the quantities based on some online chart. Clearly these do not represent YOU. Besides, our bodies are just not that specific. Here's my suggestion (sorry if I'm repeating the basics you already know well):

--Adhere to a very low-carbohydrate menu. You know what foods to avoid: starches, sugar, fruit, most dairy. Use butter, mayonnaise, and fatty meats as much as you like. Think bacon, tuna salad, buttered veggies, salad dressings (even the bottled ones with fewer than 1 carb per TBS).

--Eat only when you are hungry. This is a hard one for me, because eating is social as well as physical. But skipping lunch is a strategy that works pretty well for me when I am LC and not hungry. Do not snack. Even on low-carb stuff.

--Don't concern yourself about exercise. Most LC adherents know that exercise for "calorie burning" is useless.

Best wishes!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 09:40

BF:

Thanks, Barbara
I am in my eighth decade myself.
I went back to Dr Michael Eades website and found 2 blog posts of his from 2009 on why it is so hard to do low carb the second time around (or the 3rd, 4th, etc) He got to talking about hormonal replacement therapy for post menopausal women. Also liver function -which also declines with age.
I am using the computer program Diet Power to keep me on a low carb track. I am not good at estimating carbs, so I need a way to double check.
This is the first time I have ever gained weight on monitored low carb - I usually just stay at one weight or lose - never gained before.
I am wondering though if I am eating enough protein - as I am not meeting the minimum/maximum suggested in NANY for a person my height.
Dr Eades said nothing about protein amounts in his "second time around" blog. He did suggest protein shakes instead of meals, as a way to trigger weight loss - kind of like his 6 Week Cure book. There are now low carb shakes on the market with 5 gm or less of carbs and 30 gm of protein. Maybe I should try those for a week and see what happens.
I am not worried about protein affecting my kidneys since I read the research on the Masai who eat nothing but protein and they have no kidney disease at all.
Thanks again
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 16:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

For me the culprit in sudden weight gain is too much protein. I can lose on 60g/day, maintain on 70g, but more than that I gain.

An example: The first week of December I spent 4 days out of town. In my efforts to eat cheap (not at restaurants), I ate more protein than usual. When I got home I found I'd gained 4 lbs. I got back on plan & by the end of the next week I'd lost all 4 lbs. Water weight? Maybe - I don't know. But it was a relief to see it go!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 17:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, It could have been pure fluid depending on your mode of transportation.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 06:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
For me the culprit in sudden weight gain is too much protein. I can lose on 60g/day, maintain on 70g, but more than that I gain.

An example: The first week of December I spent 4 days out of town. In my efforts to eat cheap (not at restaurants), I ate more protein than usual. When I got home I found I'd gained 4 lbs. I got back on plan & by the end of the next week I'd lost all 4 lbs. Water weight? Maybe - I don't know. But it was a relief to see it go!

Is it OK if I ask?
Age range
Gm carbs?
Calorie count?

Thanks for sharing
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 08:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Is it OK if I ask?
Age range
Gm carbs?
Calorie count?

Thanks for sharing

under 20g carbs
don't count calories - carbs & protein are as much as my number-challenged brain can handle!

You're welcome!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 08:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

As I remember, dr fung has recommends for postmenopausal women at IDM website. You might find that helpful.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 09:12

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Benay, it sounds like you know what you need to do and you are serious about losing weight, so i won't try to give you new advice. But I will try to encourage you to stay the path.

I am 66 and have been post menopausal since I had breast cancer in 1996. I have been on some version of low carb for many years and did lose some weight before I plateaued for another many years. In June of 2018 I knew I had to get healthy. I had two defective heart valves that would require open heart surgery. I couldn't exercise because I didn't have the endurance or breath. My A1c continued to climb. My doc told me to eat fewer than 50 carbs a day. Mostly that was possible. But sometimes I ate 60, or 75. It happens. The weight went up and down. But I really wanted to get my insulin resistance under control so I kept at it. I fasted 16 hours most days, I weighed myself every day and still do. I measured my food and recorded all of it because I had to.
It's hard to do the right stuff and gain weight. Eating Deli meat and hard cheese retained water. But I knew my diet would improve my A1c. It took a year, but my A1c is now 5.1 and my weight is in the normal range. I never exercised.
Do what you know is right for you and please be patient. Your weight will go up and down but you will be healthier.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 06:27

BF:

Thanks Ms Arielle: I will go to Dr Fung's website - good suggestion

Chicachyna - thanks for sharing your hx. Powerful! I can relate to much of what you have said. Encouragement to stick-to-it is always a good thing. How you managed to stick-to-it is a good lesson for me (I am an inconsistent person about everything!).

Bonnie OFS - thanks for the follow up info. Helps to put things in perspective.

We women have a different experience of weight loss and gain than men - simply because our hormones differ. And for some reason, even past menopause, the differences remain. It is always good to hear from post menopausal women about their weight struggles. Managing on maintenance is fraught with temptations. I am grateful to all of you who have shared your journey with me.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 07:20

BF:

I went to Dr Fung's website. I read his 3 articles on menopausal and post menopausal women. His emphasis is on fasting but I didn't see much about the "why"

Went to DietDoctor.com but could not find a search feature to search for menopausal/post-menopausal suggestions. It seems I have to "sign up" to get any information.