Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 08:55
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Unhappy 8 Pound Gain in 1 Week!

I got on the scale and had an 8 pound gain. What a bummer when I expected to be down at least another pound. Am I discouraged? A little. Am I defeated? Never!

What happened?
1. TOM came and went--I usually gain 3-5 pounds then whoosh it's gone with an extra pound. Not this time.

2. Birthday week. Went out to dinner 5 times, used CAD strategy.

3. Have been religiously doing bodyflex for 3 weeks and using arm weights for 1, this in addition to walking for an hour 5-6 times a week--I know, muscle takes up less room and weighs more.

4. SAD kicked in, SAD causes me to make and hoard fat and retain water--Last year my body jumped 5 pounds in 1 week due to SAD and then held until January. February and March it shot up (I was out of control!) Gained 20 pounds during the winter! It's going to be different this winter!!

5. Been eating more calories and veggies--Maybe my body needs time to adjust---Maybe my SAD body can't handle more carbs.

6. Lost 17 pounds in 2 months once I got off the Atkins bars and shakes (Thank you forum!!!)--Maybe my body is taking a rest, for me that was a huge weight loss in a short period of time.

What to do, what to do? I will continue on course with the exercise, though the walking will probably decrease due to weather. My back doesn't hurt anymore and it's great to be able to bend down and pick something off of the floor again! I definitely see a change in body definition and I have a waist again! I'm also fitting into clothes I've never worn because they were too tight a week after I bought them. Couldn't fit them for 4 years. Yay!!

I will go on fat flush for 2 weeks and then back on Atkins induction. I've been on Induction for so long maybe my body is becoming resistant. Also, I think a detox will be good for my liver and help me lose water weight. Once induction is over, I will try to increase my carbs a little, at least with more veggies! I will try to fight off SAD cravings and put off going on CAD as long as possible so that I will have more control this year for February and March.

For those interested I drink close to or over a gallon of water a day and take a load of supplements. My health problems are SAD, carbo addiction, slow metabolism, low blood pressure, and arthritis in both knees. Oh yes, I'm obese too.

Finding this forum has helped me immensely. Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Zuleika J, thanks for helping me out. I hope the 8 pounds is just a fluke and comes right back off next week. Could you be retaining fluids?? I know I do that alot. After reading a bit in the Atkins site about complications, I'm a bit nervous about taking my water pills...still gotta take the high blood pressure meds, tho.

I have a question or two.... what is SAD? CAD is carb addicts diet I think? And what is the fat flush??

I'm still trying to figure out how to add more calories to bring me up to around 3000 a day....can't get past 2000 before I feel like I'm going to explode.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 13:56
Finding the Pieces

BF:

KTeaki

I think I am retaining water. My ankles are puffy and my knees hurt! SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder caused by lack of sunlight or light intensity, usually in the winter. Its symptoms are depression with no cause, a craving for carbohydrates, tiredness and low energy, irritability, and a tendency to put on weight with very little effort. In fact, you turn into a bear and go into hibernation. HaHa!

CAD is the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet formulated specifically for carbo addicts who have an extreme reaction and insulin surge to carbohydrates. It allows you only 3-4 meals a day but one of those meals can include the carbohydrates of your choice as long as that meal is eaten within a 60 minute continuous time frame. It controls carbohydrate cravings and insulin levels and allows you to lose weight, although at a slower pace than Atkins.

The Fat Flush is a 2 week program that detoxifies your liver and bile and allows your body to get rid of toxins, excess water and fat. It is also suppose to activate your brown fat and bile to burn more fat.

Re your intake of calories to 3000. Every person's body is very individual to this diet. Unless you are excercising very strenuously, I wouldn't worry about reaching 3000 calories/day if you are feeling good and your energy is up.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:25

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hey Zule! You hang in there! You could not possibly have eaten 28,000 extra calories which is what it takes to actually gain eight pounds. I know it is very discouraging. I once gained 4 pounds in a week and all I did was eat one whopper with cheese! And I know that whopper did not have 14,000 calories - dang it was good but it sure wasn't THAT good. I don't have any advice for you as it sounds like you know how to handle this. Just drink your water, walk a bit, and don't forget your supplements. You have an amazing weight loss thus far so don't let this rough spot get in your way! Cindi
(p.s. I still will eat one whopper with cheese every quarter of the year! I will never say goodbye forever )
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 15:26

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Zuleikaa, thanks for the info. I am definitly not doing anything strenuous, so I won't worry about not even making it to 2000 a day.

Now I have another question, I believe you said you had low blood pressure. I'm wondering if my high blood pressure meds are too much now that I have lost almost 30 pounds. I wonder because I tend to stay sleepy most mornings untill after 1, unless I take a nap or get too busy to sit. I have plenty of energy in the afternoon. Just wondering what your low blood pressure does to your body in terms of sleepiness. Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I am also on rx for depression and have been since I lost the center vision in my second eye four years ago, almost afraid to come off it since the darker months are ahead.
thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 16:35
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Orchiday
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

KTeaki
I would definitely check with your doctor. LCplans control high blood pressure. Many people wind up getting completely off of the meds even if they've been on two kinds! The tiredness and sleepyness can indeed by a sign of low blood pressure. You might ask your doctor if you can cut the dose in half. But do be monitored.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 19:34
Finding the Pieces

BF:
Smile

Six Pounds Gone!

I know there are more pounds waiting to come off. My ankles are still puffy and my socks are tight and can't go up my calf (That's how I can tell).

I am drinking so much water I can float. Why won't the water release? I am drinking well over a gallon of water/day and running to the bathroom all the time! I am even drinking water up to bedtime to encourage further loss. Further, I modified my diet to practically eliminate salt for the last few days.

On a positive note, my clothes are getting looser (except around my ankles ) and I can make a muscle with my arms. I don't mind gaining muscle. In fact, it's nice, gives my body definition even at 266 pounds!

Anyone out there have any suggestions to get rid of this water bloat?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 17:09

Stats: 283/275.5/170
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question ratios

Hi Zuleika J & Cindi,

I would like to know about the ratio of protein, fat and carbs.
I went to fitday and this is what is showed for today. I kind of
think the protein maybe a little high what do you all think?

f c p
119 20 150

Allow went out of ketosis today. I think to many carbs for me on the induction. Also retaining water. I had a heterectomy 12 yrs ago so no TOM here. Starting to feel a little tired and depressed. But will forge ahead. Cindi I love cheeseburgers and Burger King and what-a-burger are soooooooo good. But so far have been able to resist. Have a good one ladies.

Ana
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 19:05
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Hey Ana

Glad to hear from you again!

The protein does look high to me. I calculate that your protein is about 35% of your calories. In my opinion it should be around 25-30% of your calories. Maybe for a while you should limit yourself to 12-16 ounces/day.

Regarding being kicked out of ketosis. Did you have a partial or a full hysterectomy? Oftentimes our bodies still release TOM hormones and retain water weight even if you've had a hysterectomy. Additionally this can cause a negative reaction on ketostixs. Aren't our bodies wonderfully frustrating?

Hope I helped. Hang in there.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 19:15
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ana, have you read Protein Power? If you haven't, it might be worth getting a copy out of the library.

They give a formula for working out your MINIUMUM protein requirement. It's something like 60 to 80% of your lean body weight.

I've also heard protein requirement estimated as ½ your current body weight IF you are not getting much exercise. For folk who are exercising and going to the gym, 1g protein per pound bodyweight is recommended.

So, I think your protein intake is just fine.

Rosebud
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 19:51
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Default Hi Zuleikaa

to get rid of water weight I would go back to basic's. Check in my journal about my menu, with this way of food choices I could avoid pretty much the excess water I usually retain around TOM.
Wish you luck...but don't forget it is just water! I see it like the lil devil in me filling up my now empty fat cells with water just to get me discouraged and eat the food "he" wants ...heheheh. But HE does not know who he is dealing with. (at least for now I am still strong)

Mischa
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 05:15

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Zule, I knew you would get that water weight under control! I know that can be so discouraging. It has certainly happened to me! Walking helps me, oddly enough. Cutting back on cheese and nuts also seems to help. Parsley is a great natural diuretic. I learned this many years ago at some hokey weight clinic but it really does work. You can make a tea with fresh parsley and add lemon and splenda. You can also add parsley sprigs to your main course, salad, or vegetable. You hang in there Zule, that water weight will soon be history!

Ana I agree with Zule and Rosebud, I would try cutting back the protein a bit. But you are doing well so don't worry about it too much. Cindi
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 06:45
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Thank's for the advice Cindi

I'm doing everything you mentioned except the walking. Funny before SAD kicked in I was walking just about every day. Since then and the 8 pound gain, I've only walked twice. That devil sure is working! I still do the body flex everyday though. I love being able to bend again!

I'll get back to walking, I promise.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 07:16

BF:
Hi Zuleika J,

Thanks for the encouragement it really helps when you have a downer. I hope you are back on the road to success also. I had a complete nothing left hysterectomy. So if there is any TOM symptons they are fathom at best or worst depending on how you view that sort of thing. I am going to cut back on Carbs today and see how that goes and if I can get back into ketosis.

Ana
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 07:26

BF:
Cool Proteins

Hi Rosebud,

thanks for the info. I do exercise 20 to 30; 4 to 5 days a week. I have not done it the week to see if it made any differents but decided I feel better with it even if I hate doing it. I am cutting back on carbs as I think that maybe the trouble. I started out on the fat fast because I am high metabolic resistant. I had tried Atkins twice before only to gain weight and feel miserable, so after going through all the protocal that Dr. Atkins talks about on his website and talking to my Doc decided to try it. As I have told others I now hate cream cheese and macadamia nuts; never liked them much to begin with but I did get ketosis and lots 12 lbs. went to induction and started gaining back now at 6 lbs and out of ketosis. So there you have the short version.

Ana