Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I thought I'd provide a quick update. I've been taking the HoodiaHoodia.com product (supposedly 100% pure) since 1/24. That feeling of being disconnected from my hunger hasn't gone away much at all. However, I have noticed I'm not snacking as much. I'm also trying to keep myself busy so I don't get bored, which is when I usually snack.

The great news is that I weighed 153 before I started with Hoodia and as of today I'm at 150.5, which is VERY cool. It's a SLOW loss, but I know that's better for me anyway. I am taking more of the stuff than is recommended, but I keep waiting for the full effect to finally kick in . It might never work that way for me, but I'm only planning on using this stuff short-term (and for occasional "maintenance" but only when I'm not PG or nursing). I'm not experiencing any bad side affects from taking more than recommended, so I'm not gonna sweat it right now. Plus Jen from HoodiaHoodia.com had said it was okay to do on occasion.

BTW, I added another Hoodia product to the mix last Saturday (can't hurt, right?). In addition the HoodiaHoodia.com pure stuff, I also take (a few times a day) a product I bought at Hi-Health. It's called Tru Hoodia Complex by Now. It has the following ingredients: Niacin 1.1mg, Chromium 200mcg, Hoodia concentrate 20:1 300 mg, Cocoa Extract 400 mg, Green Tea Extract 200mg. The cocoa and green tea provide a natural form of caffeine (total 12 mg), but it hasn't made me jittery, just energized- in a good way. Anyone else using this one?

I'm still bound and determined to see if I can find a product that has the appetite removing qualities that so many of you have described. So I ordered some of the Source Naturals (extract). I was wondering, though, if the sorbitol it contains has given anyone the GI problems that sugar alcohols sometimes do. I can be sensitive to them at times. But the internet description does not include how much of the SA crap (sorry, but I hate those SAs) that it contains. Does it say on the bottles you have? Anyways, I'll be interested to see how it goes with this one.

So I'm down 2.5 pounds in 16 days, which isn't much but even if lost a total of 10 pounds before trying to get PG next month I'd be happy.

I'll keep you all posted and please do the same. It's nice knowing how everyone is doing.

Jill
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:46

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

doesn't give any information as to the amount of sorbitol (but sorbitol is listed as the second ingredient) -- however, the total carb count is 1 gram per serving (2 tabs) with fiber (indented, so assume it's part of the carb count) as 1 gram. This indicates (to me at least -- if I understand it right) that the sorbitol concentration is very very low. After all, the candies that contain the stuff (and which give me a lot of problems) have like 25-30 grams of sugar alcohols....
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:48

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wonder why it was even necessary to add that, um, stuff? It's not like it needs to be sweetened or something, LOL!! Seems unnecessary.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 18:35

Plan: LA weight loss
Stats: 171.5/164.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default OK, I finally bought some Hoodia from GNC

Hi, My name is Miranda and I have been reading your posts and I became very interested in trying hoodia. I am happy to see that everyone supports each other in getting healthy. I want to lose about 25 pounds, so I hope hoodia helps. I have been doing LA weight loss and it helps me to choose better foods, but I still have a healthy appetite. Stay tuned........ and I hope everyone is here to help me through this too.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 19:03
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%

Quote:
I thought I'd provide a quick update. I've been taking the HoodiaHoodia.com product (supposedly 100% pure) since 1/24. That feeling of being disconnected from my hunger hasn't gone away much at all.

You might find better success with another brand. I have tried some in the past that did not work for me, either. I just hope 2 years down the road a study doesn't come out that says it's going to kill you or make you tits fall off
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 19:04
Smilie Queen

p.s. that 2.5 pound loss is awesome!!
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 19:13

BF:
Progress:

Well this brand is called Hoodia Supreme and I did a lot of research on it and it seems to be highly recommended, so we will see.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 21:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I started taking Hoodia Supreme yesterday. I haven't noticed any appetite suppression so far. I'll let you know if I start noticing it helping. You do the same, threegmom. I am taking 800 mg. a day which is the suggested use.
  #129   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 23:39

BF:
Progress:

sounds like a plan, I will actually start taking it tomorrow. So you will be one step ahead of me.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 07:43

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!

It's too bad that we can't be sure of just what we're getting in any particular brand or formulation -- which is why I really like this thread, we can compare our experiences and then choose accordingly!

I've read a lot about how it's not the real stuff yet, then I read that it's guaranteed to be good, then that the stem extract 20:1 isn't any good (but I did lose some weight when I was taking only that one -- will try taking only it maybe next week?) -- etc.

Bottom line, though, it's working for me -- I'm down to 146 this morning! (This is a loss of 14 pounds since I started the hoodia, back around the first of the year.)

Today will be difficult -- we're taking a day off from work and going to San Antonio, planning to eat at Texas Land & Cattle -- I always get salad and smoked sirloin, with a side of mushrooms ("no thanks" to the fresh hot bread) -- but I tend to eat a lot! So today I'm asking for a to-go box with my order, and I plan to put much of the meat aside (it saves nicely, and is very good, sliced thin, on a salad the next day or two....) -- wish me luck! I plan to take 2 hoodia capsules about an hour before we get there....
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 08:56
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just got off the phone with hoodiahoodia.com and they have no record of my purchase back in December, despite 2 different people looking into their records and telling me that it had been mailed. I'm not a happy camper.

I'm going to try the Desert Burn Hoodia which is supposed to be the best one out there, recommended in the 60 minutes report.

I've been using one from my HFS but it's only 200mg of hoodia gordonii but it cost $31. It works well, but it's very expensive.

Wanda
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 09:23
Smilie Queen

Quote:
I'm down to 146 this morning! (This is a loss of 14 pounds since I started the hoodia, back around the first of the year.)
Quote:
So today I'm asking for a to-go box with my order, and I plan to put much of the meat aside
I was talking to a friend of mine who is around 65, and she told me that 'back in the day' immediately upon being served, all the women in her social circle would take half the food on the plate and tell the waiter to pack it to go. She still looks fabulous, so I think you're on to something
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 10:21

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

Okay I have been floating around here for a bit. I was wondering is there any specfic brand that you all can recomend that I can get at a small health food store or such? thanks!
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:30
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Twinmomma:

The best product for the cheapest price I've found is Desert Burn, but I don't think you can get it at the HFS. They have a Certificate of Analysis on their website. It has 750mg of pure hoodia gordonii, 120 caps/bottle. You can order it off their website for $29.95 or get it through ebay for $24.95.

I haven't heard of anything better than this yet. If you go the HFS route, make sure to stay away from the hoodia extracts, they aren't as effective for your money. Also stay away from anything that doesn't say 100% pure hoodia gordonii. Just labelling "hoodia" is not good enough. There are several varieties of hoodia, it's the gordonii variety you need.

Some products have stimulants in them, so make sure you get one that only has hoodia. Otherwise, you may find yourself unable to sleep at night.

HTH,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Feb-09-05 at 12:55.
  #135   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:55

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Wanda...do you take Desert Burn? if so, what do you think of it and its shipping? just curious thanks