Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 16:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lanny:

I haven't tried the Desert Burn yet, but I'll let you know how it compares to the one I'm currently taking. I'd been waiting for my order from hoodiahoodia.com (from Canada) since Dec 20th and they screwed everything up so I decided today to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, that means across the border.

The one I currently have from my HFS is only 200mg of pure hoodia gordonii, but it works well. Unfortunately, it's $32 for 60 capsules of 200mg. Very expensive.

I ordered the Desert Burn off of ebay today, so I'll let you know how the delivery goes and any taxes etc. that I'm charged. It goes through USPS so I don't think you get the brokerage fees like you do with UPS. Never have anything shipped across the border with UPS. The brokerage fees kill you.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 16:41
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

I went to Whole Foods today and looked on the shelf where I saw the Source Naturals Hoodia. It was gone, and a product called Hoodia Slim in its place. I didn't have time to ask anyone about it, but plan to next time I go. I have never heard anything about the 20:1 extract not being good, other than on sites that sell other products. In the year I have been trying different brands (around 5 or 6) the only effective ones are the Hoodoba (much too expensive, and ordering is the same hassle ya'll are getting now) and the Source Naturals. I love the Source Naturals and now that I can take 3 a day, and get a bottle of 120 over the net for $26, I'm sticking to it!
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 20:52

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

I got something from the HFS and it has 200 mg of hoodia. I think it's life something. I will let you know how it goes.
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!

I ordered the Desert Burn (off ebay, Donna TerBlanche) -- total price (including shipping and handling) was $33.95, and it arrived very quickly (2-3 days?). I ordered very early because of hoodiahoodia experience -- I won't open the bottle until the others are gone.

Yesterday, we went to San Antonio as planned. Stopped at Texas Land & Cattle -- I had a dinner salad (no croutons) and ate 2 slices of my smoked sirloin (put the other 3 slices into a to-go box before I started eating -- we'll have these on salad later this week). I was totally comfortable, and not even tempted, as my husband (who can tolerate the extra calories and carbs) ate the fresh hot sourdough bread/butter, and had a glass of wine.

When we got home, I did not have any hunger (my husband "grazed" -- ate cheese, salami, nuts) and I didn't eat anything more.

My weight was still 146 pounds today, but I'm happy!!!!! I was afraid that it would go up after eating out! And likely, I had a bit more salt than I am used to.

And -- yesterday I bought a dress to wear to my daughter's wedding in March -- a size 8! -- I've been sort of nudging into 12's recently.... And today I'm wearing a dress that I hadn't been able to fit for a couple of years -- this is like getting a whole new wardrobe!
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 15:31

Okay I have taken 4----it recomends taking 2 at a time. So far not a huge difference. Granted I did eat a small salad--because thye boys were acting up and I had to leave Mickey d's!

How long did it take to notice effects? I am going to look into the desert burn one.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:41

Plan: LA weight loss
Stats: 171.5/164.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

hi I am on my second day and I have not noticed any change in appetite on the hoodia supreme, but I am sure its hard to tell. I do notice that I drink a lot more water than normal. Galatia how are u doing on it?
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 07:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Nope, me neither, threegmom. I've been using it 800 mg. a day since Monday. On the Hoodia Supreme bottle it says it's pure powdered Hoodia. It also says "Beware of fake or inactive extracts." Sounds like it should be good stuff. I guess I'll keep taking it, maybe on some of us it has to build up more in our system . Keep updating please.
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 09:03
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%

Quote:
"Beware of fake or inactive extracts."
They all say that. In my experience, the ones that worked, worked right away, but YMMV. There are so many more kinds out there right now, it wouldn't hurt to try a few different ones.
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 10:53

May I ask what one everyone's favorite on is? It looks like desert burn is good. It should work right away correct?
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 15:03

I started with Source Naturals (while waiting for a long-delayed hoodiahoodia order). Now I take one of each.

I ordered the Desert Burn (very quick shipping!) -- but I'll not start on it until the others run out.

That said, I've been losing at the rate of 1.5 to 2 pounds a week since I started (early January). I had not only not been losing up 'til then, I was slowly gaining weight -- after maintaining my weight for many years, it started creeping back up (and I was trying all sorts of tweaks -- including returning to induction level carbs, etc.).

I think the reason the hoodia is working for me is the reduced appetite. Now when I walk in the door after work, I don't start snacking (legally) -- I started tracking my food, and it looks like I'm eating about 20 ECC and 900 calories each day -- not a lot, but I'm not hungry so it's working for me. I've never been a big eater, but I seem to have a lot of energy -- don't understand metabolism....

If this continues (keeping my fingers crossed!), I am gong to very carefully resume eating at a higher-calorie level. I've been reading Lean for Life, and I like many of the suggestions (I just don't agree with the low fat, moderate protein, fruits and vegetable diet that they espouse!) for maintenance -- particularly weighing myself every day, and taking action if the scale goes up 3 pounds (now why didn't I do that earlier?).
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 09:23

BF:
Progress:

ok, I have not seen any weight loss yet, But last night my family ordered pizza and i can usually eat 4 slices and some wings on the side with no problem. Last night I took a bite out of one pizza and i felt full. I could barely eat any of the wings. Today I am doing my 3-days on LA weight loss just oranges, white meat and fresh raw green vegetables. I will so what I am on Tuesday and if I feel hungry on these 3 days. Keep you posted.
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 10:49

BF:
Progress:

ok, I have not seen any weight loss yet, But last night my family ordered pizza and i can usually eat 4 slices and some wings on the side with no problem. Last night I took a bite out of one pizza and i felt full. I could barely eat any of the wings. Today I am doing my 3-days on LA weight loss just oranges, white meat and fresh raw green vegetables. I will so what I am on Tuesday and if I feel hungry on these 3 days. Keep you posted.
  #148   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 09:17

Weighed in this morning at 145#!!!

And yesterday I wore an old pair of jeans (Lands End, size 10) with my shirt tucked in -- and it wasn't snug!!!

We ran over to Fort Hood yesterday afternoon, and bought all the "junk food" that my son (who is staying withus for a while) wanted -- no temptations. And when we got home, my son started snacking on pistachios (which I love) and triscuits/cheese spread -- still not even slightly tempted. I made salmon, asparagus, and salad for dinner -- ate what I meant to, didn't look for any seconds or evening snacks.....

This stuff works for me!
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:03

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Im glad its working well for you BKM...im just wondering what happens once your off Hoodia...regarding the book Lean for Life is a VERY good book...you should have a look at Why French Women Dont Get Fat...i never believe even to this day to cut most carbs out...i still believe eating fresh fruits, all veggies...nature was built on them and back then people werent fat at all...its plain and simple its just junk food or fast food of American that makes up fat...you dont see much fat people in europe (yes you do have some but NEVER like the westerners) cause they eat fresh and walk a lot...the key word is MODERATION and SMALL PORTIONS!!! you can have that fresh pastry once a week or on a special day whatever the case may be...or nice fresh bread...true not everyday but humans cant stop eating carbs for the rest of their lives...or you will go back to junk food...like i said, moderation and small portions...
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Alright, I gave it a week-- it's just not working for me, so I intend to try to return what's left to GNC. I am glad it's working for some, however. I wish you all success.