Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default quitting ,can't get passed 7 week stall

Hi I guess I' quitting. I have tried everything, I cut out nuts, candy bars. I started back walking, drink 100 oz water a day,and cut back carbs to like 18. So, I really get down cause everyone else around me loses and I can't. Good luck to all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:46

Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I'm really new and can't offer much more than encouragement. Do you feel better even though you aren't loosing weight right at this moment? Are you reaping the benefit of not being hungry and carb craving? Are you happy about being able to eat SOMEthing that you like, instead of being in a state of deprevation like on other diets? Maybe you can focus on the other wonderful things about this diet and then the weight will begin to come off again.

HTH

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 23:02

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

A true stall is 6 weeks with no weight loss or inches lost so if you are at 7, before you quit, why don't you try what Dr. A. suggests in his book DANDR for a true stall...something like the fat fast? Also have you posted some menus for the forum to look at to see if anyone can offer any suggestions? I really hate to see you quit as I believe so strongly in this WOL. I know it must be terribly depressing to have not lost any weight in 7 weeks. I wish you would do as I suggested and give it a little longer. Please?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 23:07
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

You know, I have to tell you: this is not a reason to quit! I've had two 8-week breaks but I did lose inches during that time. You can't force your body to lose weight in the speed you choose.
Don't ruin your progress, don't quit! Come back here, maybe we can help?

A few possible problems:

you eat too little
you eat too little fat
you should increase carbs
increase exercise
you are on medication of some kind

It can also be that simple: your body needs this break. Please respect it.

Take care

Alina

Last edited by Alina : Mon, Sep-15-03 at 23:23.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 01:34

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Lacey

Whilst not seeing the scales move can be demotivating I hope that you have found other positive benefits from low carbing. I know I have.

Now 2 years on I lose very slowly, but do continue to lose and have had spells where I've not lost, on the scales, for a couple of months at a time.

Remember, this is a way of life, so if you go off it and eat a lot of carbs then you are likely to put the weight back on again.

I hope that you can see through the frustration.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 05:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/196.5/170 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:tooooo much
Progress: 22%

Please dont quit, I get so frustrated too, seeing everyones stats,and mine seem to stay the same. Remember your not gainging weight right? Muscle weighs more than fat, and if your walking more, your increasing your muscle tone, which is why that darn scale wont move. Sometimes, I have to limit myself to once every 2 weeks of weighing myself, because it can really make me feel depressed, and like I'm not accomplishing anything! Sometimes I really hate myself, and my body!! That's why I've begun reading and learning from this site, I've found there really are caring people here, who know exactly what I'm going through. So please give it another shot, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya, Lisa.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 05:58

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Tapestry asked you all the right questions. How do you feel? Are you feeling better? Are you measuring yourself (instead of relying purely on the scale?). Is it a TRUE stall? (no lb AND no inches loss?) How long did it take you to put on all that weight? Why expect it to leave in such a short time? Why don't you give us your typical menu.. maybe we can spot something..
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:57

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

You might also want to add some exercise other than walking. The best way to get your metabolism all fired up is to do strength training. It not only boosts your metabolism during the workout, but after for several hours as well. Additionally, it takes more calories to maintain a pound of muscle, so the more muscle mass you have, the faster you are going to burn fat.

I can imagine your discouragement after a seven week stall, but it doesn't seem like you have tried all of the options. As someone else suggested, you could try fat fast for three or four days, up your exercise, just all around shake things up.

If you ask yourself what the alternative is, you may come up with a different answer than quitting. If you go back to eating 200-300 carbs a day, you will definately start gaining. Is it better to remain the same for seven weeks or to gain?

Best of luck with whatever you decide

BTW...heard of people stalling for much longer only to then have a huge whoosh and start losing faster than ever before.

L
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:08

Default reply

Hi, I do exercise my biceps and triceps, after I get back from walking. I don't take medicatios. Yes, it does feel good not to be gaining. I just can't find what I'm doing wrong. I stayed at the size I'm at now for awhile before I lost, I was this size the last I can rem. back in 1998. I'm not losing inces, I do measure. I have a journal and I wrote in there what a typical day menu is for me. Thanks for the replies. Thanks Lacey
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:24

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Did you try the fat fast? Its on the atkins site, it will help you break your stall, trust me, dont give up!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:28

Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

Hi Lacey.
Believe me, I know how you feel. I've been on Atkins since FEB 17, 2003 and have lost a total of 17lbs! Four of them were during induction.
I have told myself that I am quitting several times, but I am still LCing. There is obvioulsy something keeping me from losing.
I am trying the candida treatment to see if that is the problem.
I am walking a mile a day in 18 minutes. Going to try for 2 miles soon.
I am counting carbs everyday.
I am drinking tons of water.
Yesterday, I decided to eat more carbs for a week, good carbs like vegetables. Could be my body just needs more.
It has become a challenge to me I guess, and I just can't make myself go back to eating sugars and starch, hence my signature line.
If you feel better, like I do, please hang in there a little longer. I WILL find the answer, and believe you will too. Wishing you the very best luck!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:46
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Hey hun,

You made this choice for a reason back when you started this WOL...
what was it?

1. To Lose Weight Fast?
2. To be Healthier?
3. For your children?

(I think i remember you posting something about your children? if i am wrong i am sorry....)

I think sometimes when i get depressed... what really helps me stay focused is when I remember why i made this choice.. it was for my health.. It was cuz i wanted to be in control again... it was because i want to be a good example to my family.. Losing weight is just one of the perks...
And it will happen... Patience is Key..

I hope you don't leave.. or give up... but if you do.. Take care of yourself... and be happy... but you will be missed.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:58

Stats: 310/255/210 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress:

I was on a plateau for over 8 weeks, then all of a sudden I go through and more started dropping off.

Dont go on the scale for a couple of weeks, you'll be amazed.

I've read that plateaus can last up to two months, I've also read personal stories of people on them for close to four months.

Just don't stop.

Maybe change your routine a bit, like your workout . . . try something new.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 13:56

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Last time I hit a big stall, I tried the egg-fast - worked like a charm. I lost 4#'s, went back to normal LC'ing and have never gained them back.
I think we all hit peaks and valleys in the WOE. I hope you decide to stick with it - I truly believe in the long run it will work...btw - looking at your menu, IMHO, your calories do look rather low.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 14:40

Default reply

Thank you guys, I'm going to stick with it. I do think sometimes that maybe I'm not eating enough, but I have got bored and have run out of stuff to eat. I'm trying to do with out the pork skins, cause of all the salt. Well, I have tried the receipe section. I'm not going to cook a whole big ole meal everytime. Yes, I want this for my health and for my dear son. Because I'm an example. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong. Thank ya.