Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 22:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Does anyone know of effects -- good or ill -- of low carb and low blood pressure? My normal blood pressure is 80/60. (For years, doctors would take my BP, do a double take, and take it again. I'd ask if everything was ok and be told "yes, actually, you're a little on the low side." I never asked for a number until about ten years ago, but got the 80/60 very consistently. Once it zoomed up to 90/70, but I was late for that appointment and had been running.)

I'm rereading Protein Power Lifeplan tonight, and began to get alarmed because they keep talking about dramatic drops in blood pressure. I don't think that would be a good thing for me

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 23:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

1. Low blood pressure ... if this is your usual BP, and you aren't having symptoms (fainting, weakness when standing up or bending over) .. then this is YOUR normal, and congratulations for your longer life expectancy

Low blood pressure is of concern when it's a change from a normally higher reading, usually by 20. Some people have what's called "postural or orthostatic hypotension" which means you have a normal BP that drops suddenly when you sit or stand up too quickly. The symptoms are dizziness, weakness, sometimes nausea, and even fainting.

2. Low Carb and low BP ... The lowered BP is brought about by increased fluid loss ... less fluid means less volume in the blood vessels means less pressure to build up. This is highly desirable in someone who has high blood pressure ... diuretic drugs are often given to treat high BP. The ketogenic nature of the very lowcarb programs such as Atkins and PP will bring about significant diuresis. This is why you must drink, drink, drink and drink your water .. not just to keep the ketones and kidneys flushed, but also to make sure you're not getting dehydrated .. dehydration is a frequent cause of low blood pressure.

Which makes me think of something ... when you go to the dr.... are you in a fasting state .. for blood tests, etc??? Often blood sugars, cholesterol and triglyceride tests require that you fast for 8 to 12 hr prior ... however you should still be sure to drink lots and lots of water. Being dehydrated can also affect the blood tests, since your blood will be concentrated.

This may sound odd, since so many of us with high BP are trying to cut way back on sodium .. but don't skimp with the salt. Continue to take your potassium supplement, but it's not necessary for you to go low-salt or salt-free.

Another thing worth noting .... any changes to your BP, if they're going to happen ... will take place during the early weeks of LC'ing. Since it's been over a month for you ... and your BP is the same as it's been forever ... I'd say your prognosis is fine

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 08:49

BF:

Thank you very much for that, Doreen. I think I've probably been dehydrated all my life, so that may be part of it, but the doctor's appointments, over a number of years, were at different times of the day, sometimes right after lunch, and not on a day when I was having tests.

I haven't been to a doctor or had blood pressure taken for five years, though, so I don't know what it is now. But it was steady at 80/60 from age 22 to age 48. I've never fainted (touch wood) but do occasionally (twice a year) feel dizzy if I get up suddenly. (I will go to the doctor this spring. I've had a rason for not going.)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 09:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

hi Alto,

Many pharmacies, including Walmart .. have free blood pressure monitors that will measure both your heart rate and BP. It might be worth checking it yourself every few weeks, just to keep track. Write it down, and how you're feeling at the time .. then when you go to the dr in the spring, you'll have a record to give her/him.

(note - you can still be dehydrated even after eating, if your overall daily fluid intake is low)

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 10:47

BF:

Thanks, Doreen. That's a good idea. (D.C. is dominated by CVS stores and I don't know how altruistic they are, but I'll check.)

My mission for the week is Water -- I'd like to know what being hydrated feels like. Again, thank you for all your good information.