Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-17, 08:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's coming up on a year of niacin therapy, and I am still enamored of how it works for me.

Last night we prepared for the first snowstorm of the season, I am trying to mop up work for a week off plus holidays, and this involves me driving down to a local place of my work to park the car so my place at my home can be plowed out properly. I also had to stock up on food in case going out becomes problematical.

And yet, having recently resumed my full 3k niacin consumption, I went to bed so amazingly cheerful

I had cut back because of a health crash which involved developing hives from the collarbones on down, (you don't want your doctor to say "wow") which developed into eczema which, after like 3 months, is only now yielding... and not to conventional medicine. Of course. (In case of those not aware, I am, officially, a mutant )

As this condition wore on and I took a course of steroids (a least favorite in terms of constantly hungry/ruining sleep categories) taking my usual niacin dose increased the already insane level of itching, and I tapered down and even skipped days. I hadn't had the flush since I started, months prior, but it was happening now.

So, while I never could figure out what was going on, I resumed the niacin as my patches of ITCH yielded to the only thing that really healed them, which was big doses of quercetin with Vitamin C. And perhaps this means I am also getting well in other ways, now...

Always experimenting
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 18:19

BF:

I’m seeing a pattern here. Same time of year, same attach of the skin patcges screaming their heads off. Ordered more quercitin.

Still on the niacin, added 1.5k in fact. Still cheerful and non anxious.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 12:20

BF:

Update: a few days after the post above, I had a terrible autoimmune attack, heard a podcast on that very subject, and read the book Arthritis: the best thing that ever happened to me.

Then I embarked on a three day fast, which tempered my flare, and began a ketosis program, with a daily average of 10 carbs.

One month later, I'm feeling so much better, there's signs of continuing healing, and I'm only taking 1.5k a day of the niacin.

N=1.
  #169   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 18:02
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thanks for the update. Has the quercetin had measurable effects for you? Do you take it with, or separate from, the niacin?

PJ
  #170   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 09:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Thanks for the update. Has the quercetin had measurable effects for you? Do you take it with, or separate from, the niacin?

PJ

The supplement came with a warning that if someone had a sensitive stomach, I should take it with food. And so sometimes I wait the full 20 minutes before I eat, and sometimes I don’t: last time I don’t know if it was the food or the quercetin which made me queasy.

Great for leaky gut and soothing inflammation, so I will try again soon. Last time I didn’t notice an issue, but I wasn’t eating Keto then, either.
  #171   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 10:46

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Interesting re the Quercetin. I take this plus PPQ, and have for some time, just as recommended supplements
  #172   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 01:19
Every moment is NOW.

amazon now has a liposomal quercetin just fyi. I tend to think liposomal versions of anything are far better as supps.

PJ
  #173   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 05:51

BF:

As an update, I'm back on 3k of niacin, as it seems to work better. And did not do the quercetin again.

I agree with PJ, liposomal is a good way to get stuff, like Vitamin C. I also take certain supplements under the tongue (sublingual) as you get better absorption that way.

I wasn't sure if my tired & cranky moods came from lack of niacin or the awful weather with the cold and the ice hanging on, so I went back to my usual and it seemed to help. If I do One Meal a Day I do 1.5, and two meals, I go for 3k daily.

But my ketosis healing has reached a point where I don't need these supplements constantly. For best results, I still need these sources of nutrients, and considering how long I've been sick, such additional nutrition seems perfectly reasonable to me.
  #174   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 04:51

BF:

Niacin update: still going.

The last six months I've been doing keto, and I love it. All of my supplements came under scrutiny since it did a lot to improve my health. I didn't touch my D3/K2 combo, and my niacin routine was quickly re-established when I cut down as an experiment.

SO after only scattered weeks off it, I am back to 3k a day, with B complex and vitamin C abundant to help it work. This combo probably does me a lot of good in other ways, too. But I didn't cut down that part: I only cut down the niacin.

Whatever else happens, I seem to NEED it now. Because cutting down would give me eventual "glimpses of doom" as a flash of anxiety, really awful despair stuff. Is my brain in despair because it needs more B3? I will heed its call.

And now, it is happy again.
  #175   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-19, 16:22
Every moment is NOW.

Still doing Black Cherry?

PJ
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-19, 17:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Still doing Black Cherry?

PJ

Not any more. I did a good run of it, though 😀
  #177   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-19, 05:58

BF:

To clarify from PJ's inquiry: I went through a several month stretch of high quantities of black cherry capsules since a relative handles their gout with low carb, hydration, and exercise.

Because of the possible genetic link, and a real cool paper that explained that gout in women is more likely to manifest in UPPER extremities. This might be what is going on with my arthritic thumbs.

It was worth a try, seemed to help. Then I went into a keto level of carbs for the last six months. Now my hands feel GREAT. A twinge now and then, but I think even that might diminish further.
  #178   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-19, 07:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Makes sense. VLC/Keto did that for me as well, and it's rare that I feel any stiffness at this point.
  #179   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-19, 07:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Makes sense. VLC/Keto did that for me as well, and it's rare that I feel any stiffness at this point.

Isn’t it just fantastic?
  #180   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-19, 08:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

You bet, my body is responding the way it was meant to when it's supplied with the right nutrients.